Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how I solve the problem of tactacal or pointed bullets. Realitivly simple but takes a while and patience.

I simply shave the led bullets to an acceptable point. What I used you can get any where. A sharp razor blade or non curved knife a paper towel to help collect your bits of lead. and thats it.

My technike is to go down about 3/16 of an inch down the edge of the brass and cut along the lead 5-8 times all the away around. Next take the edge of the blade and scrape the lead down to a point multiple times all the way around until satisfied. Then take the last 2/16 of your point andcut at a steep downward angle about 6 times to get around and thats how i did it.
yes I know the pic. is a tad hard to see but there's no dening it has a well defined point enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
And this accomplished only one thing. Making an inaccurate bullet worse. What is the reason for putting a point on a .22 LR Bullet anyway, not to mention that using a knife you have ZERO consistency.

I dont know that I have ever said this on this forum before but WOW THIS IS STUPID.......

·
Registered
552 Posts
never heard of a tactical/craptical bullet before. just have to ask, what the heck for?
as everybody knows, zombie's have thicker skulls the then living that require you to run soft lead threw a pencil sharpener in order to make it into the brain pan! :wall:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
as everybody knows, zombie's have thicker skulls the then living that require you to run soft lead threw a pencil sharpener in order to make it into the brain pan! :wall:
Hell a pencil sharpener would have been better at least get some consistency out of the damn things, but this is just dumb.

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
Plan on shooting them or stabbing them?
Seriously Hunter92, changing the profile without a machine will result in in-accurate bullets. Additionally the bullets will not expand, and the effect may be just to pass thru the animal, with little damage and stopping power. Effective stopping power may increase with a decent hollow point, but will decrease if the shape is like you made.
Welcome to the forum...I hope we didn't kid you too much.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
yeah, the next thought you have on ammo "fixing" let it go... just let it go...

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
About the most I ever done with a 22 LR bullet was use the die they use to make (I don't know if it's still available) to file the round nose off to make the bullets like SGB bullets that are offered by CCI. I gave that up because for what I use a 22 for it was just, well lets just say pointless.Making them into a point makes no sense. I mean really what is the gain in that??

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well.....I reckon you could get .22 ammo for $5.99 a box, make it tactical, and then resell it for $25.49 a box. :Eyecrazy:

But, seriously, don't fix what ain't broke! It sounds inaccurate at best and dangerous at worse.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
i tried to make a quieter .22lr by making a soda bottle silencer and pulling cartridges apart and removing powder. the silencer worked for the first shot then everything i used in it came out the second time. and the cartridge with the less powder got stuck in the barrel..... by the way i was 14 and i just didtn want my dad to find out i was shooting out the back window.....and yes i know it was a stupid thing to do but i was bored and had an idea(those pesky things just keep popping into my head )

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
i tried to make a quieter .22lr by making a soda bottle silencer and pulling cartridges apart and removing powder. the silencer worked for the first shot then everything i used in it came out the second time. and the cartridge with the less powder got stuck in the barrel..... by the way i was 14 and i just didtn want my dad to find out i was shooting out the back window
I'm pretty sure that is a federal offense. We all did stupid crap at that age, though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ease up you crotchety grouches!

Hunter92 is obviously a beginner...the 22 is the typical first gun, and "hunter92" tells me he's probably a 9 or 10year old kid. Would it be okay if we just explain how things work instead of being jerks to him?

This thread reminds me of the time I wanted a crock pot recipe for beef tenderloin and I found a thread on a cooking site where a noob asked about it, and everyone blasted her and called her a moron for wanting to slow cook such a tender piece of meat. I felt like an idiot just for thinkin about it...and that person gave up on that site with only one post.

Educating newbies about gun safety, gun rights, etc., is far more important than most of the stuff we usually talk about on here...y'all may have ran him off with your acrimonious b.s. that served no purpose other than elevating self at his expense.

You can't just asume he is a troll!

Hey kid, hang around and you will learn TONS...and these guys aren't usually such @$$es. If you are a troll looking for a laugh...then I am an ass for takin up for you, but Ill take that chance.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Hunter 92:please stop playing around shaving lead into small pieces.Too much chance of inhaling the dam* stuff and poisoning yourself or if you are doing it indoors the rest of the family/friends.They aren't joking when they put those warnings out about handling lead and "shaving" it makes it possible to inhale it.If you don't care about yourself please think about others.Another point (no pun intended) if you take the buffer (either copper plate or wax) off of the bullet it won't be long and your riflings will be leaded up and the barrel more than likely ruined.I never had much luck getting lead out of a .22 barrel once they leaded up.Not giving you he*l,just trying to help.Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Hunter92 is obviously a beginner...the 22 is the typical first gun, and "hunter92" tells me he's probably a 9 or 10year old kid. Would it be okay if we just explain how things work instead of being jerks to him?

This thread reminds me of the time I wanted a crock pot recipe for beef tenderloin and I found a thread on a cooking site where a noob asked about it, and everyone blasted her and called her a moron for wanting to slow cook such a tender piece of meat. I felt like an idiot just for thinkin about it...and that person gave up on that site with only one post.

Educating newbies about gun safety, gun rights, etc., is far more important than most of the stuff we usually talk about on here...y'all may have ran him off with your acrimonious b.s. that served no purpose other than elevating self at his expense.

You can't just asume he is a troll!

Hey kid, hang around and you will learn TONS...and these guys aren't usually such @$$es. If you are a troll looking for a laugh...then I am an ass for takin up for you, but Ill take that chance.

Welcome to the forum!
no offence there fp but my dad woulda called me a idiot at his age too.didn't kill me then and he should learn no matter wot age that "playing"with guns and ammo are vastly different than toys and if you do something dumb then its dumb....period!!!

young man....if you are that young...cease all experiments such as this if you wish to live long enough to know the joys of dentures!!!

is that better???

·
Registered
1,990 Posts

Wouldn't it have to be Hunter02 to be 9 years old.......Not stabbing just sayin......92 would be like 18-19.

I am very rarely not overly polite on here but this "Bullet Redesigning Technique" seems either far fetched or just plain dumb. As someone else mentioned even possibly dangerous.

Also I would typically agree with you FP except that there has only been one post, no replys, and anyone trying to strike up a conversation on a gun forum starting with "I took my trusty pocket knife and helped out my bullets a little" is....well.....just hard not to poke at.

I mean if you or I had posted this being established members, I feel that our friends here would try to have us put into a home.....after flaming us, and mailing us a box of stones to throw at ourselves.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
and why would a 9 or 10 year old have access to ammo and a pocket knife to be unsupervised???

1 - 20 of 68 Posts