Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
no offence there fp but my dad woulda called me a idiot at his age too.didn't kill me then and he should learn no matter wot age that "playing"with guns and ammo are vastly different than toys and if you do something dumb then its dumb....period!!!

young man....if you are that young...cease all experiments such as this if you wish to live long enough to know the joys of dentures!!!

is that better???
I agree. That's good advice...and I didn't see anything wrong with laughing milk out yer honker either! I was reacting to guys who just say he's stupid without even trying to help him...or suggesting that his thoughts are all inferior. Simply calling him a moron doesn't teach him anything...

I just wanna see the guy hang around long enough to learn some basic safety instead of gettin butt-hurt and never coming back, that's all. Yeah, yeah, I was the kid who cried when others rejected me...so what. Suppose he doesn't even have a dad to show him the ropes...you never know. So, let's reach out to a new guy, eh?

Now, the fact that he has yet to follow up with another post leads me to believe that this was most likely a joke. I just hope it was, for his sake.

Okay, off my soap box.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wouldn't it have to be Hunter02 to be 9 years old.......Not stabbing just sayin......92 would be like 18-19.

I am very rarely not overly polite on here but this "Bullet Redesigning Technique" seems either far fetched or just plain dumb. As someone else mentioned even possibly dangerous.

Also I would typically agree with you FP except that there has only been one post, no replys, and anyone trying to strike up a conversation on a gun forum starting with "I took my trusty pocket knife and helped out my bullets a little" is....well.....just hard not to poke at.

I mean if you or I had posted this being established members, I feel that our friends here would try to have us put into a home.....after flaming us, and mailing us a box of stones to throw at ourselves.
Oh yeah...I mathed wrong. And yes, if I ever did this to a bullet, please smack the hell out of me!

Yeah, it's probably a joke...he was trolling for the sensitive guy and he hooked me!

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Oh yeah...I mathed wrong. And yes, if I ever did this to a bullet, please smack the hell out of me!

Yeah, it's probably a joke...he was trolling for the sensitive guy and he hooked me!
you take your name very seriously...no big deal. i for one would've never thought about him bein 9-10....not for boogerin up the ammo, crap at 10 i took my dads brand new lawmower apart to "fixit" for him(anouther "your a idiot ,i'd better wait to punish him or i'll prolly kill the seed of Godonlyknowswhosheis" moment).the really scary thought is someone that age bein taught how to use the internet.....supervised or not!!!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I'm pretty sure that is a federal offense. We all did stupid crap at that age, though.
i dont believe that its federal but i do know it is illeagal in new york , but i grew up in altona(not that most people could find that hole) i could shoot all damn day out my back window and the only one who would say anything would have been my father, and he wouldnt have even said anything until after he kicked my ass

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
i dont believe that its federal but i do know it is illeagal in new york , but i grew up in altona(not that most people could find that hole) i could shoot all damn day out my back window and the only one who would say anything would have been my father, and he wouldnt have even said anything until after he kicked my ass
Unless you filled out a form with the BATFE and sent them the $200 tax, I'm pretty sure that's a Federal thing.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've done something like that, only I made a Remington Thunderbolt into a Wadcutter, just take a bullet and rub the point on a metal file until is flush, nice and flat. I only made 1, and shot it at a target, made a nice "WADCUTTER" hole. Oh, did I mention I was 16 years old and bored??

·
Registered
397 Posts
you take your name very seriously...no big deal. i for one would've never thought about him bein 9-10....not for boogerin up the ammo, crap at 10 i took my dads brand new lawmower apart to "fixit" for him(anouther "your a idiot ,i'd better wait to punish him or i'll prolly kill the seed of Godonlyknowswhosheis" moment).the really scary thought is someone that age bein taught how to use the internet.....supervised or not!!!
Okay mister, I jumped to conclusions and ran to the defense of a guy makin a joke. I'm not usually trying to be a hero like that, I just looked at it and saw a little kid who thought he had a good idea, and was being humiliated and abused rather than instructed.

For a guy who likes jokes, I missed a great many clues about this post. Classic signs...lack of introduction, claiming a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, lack of follow up, completely absurd premise....bound to rile up everyone, blag blah blah...

This has been a very successful troll....he got everyone to attack, then one guy jumps to his defense, chaos follows, and he never had to do a thing beyond the first post.

I guess I became the butt of this guys joke, but it's still funny as all hell!

Hey mods...check the ip addy on this guy, it's probably an existing member pullin a fast one!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Okay mister, I jumped to conclusions and ran to the defense of a guy makin a joke. I'm not usually trying to be a hero like that, I just looked at it and saw a little kid who thought he had a good idea, and was being humiliated and abused rather than instructed.

For a guy who likes jokes, I missed a great many clues about this post. Classic signs...lack of introduction, claiming a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, lack of follow up, completely absurd premise....bound to rile up everyone, blag blah blah...

This has been a very successful troll....he got everyone to attack, then one guy jumps to his defense, chaos follows, and he never had to do a thing beyond the first post.

I guess I became the butt of this guys joke, but it's still funny as all hell!

Hey mods...check the ip addy on this guy, it's probably an existing member pullin a fast one!
Dude....your still my hero. LMAO!!!! nah....seriously i think it's cool taking up for someone you THOUGHT was just an ignorant (and i use that word tenderly) kid. I am proud to have you as a friend......sucker. ;P

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think your objective in pointing 'em was to make 'em shoot further, faster, or something like that.

But with submarines as well as other ships, they move throught water with a bulbous nose. That's why .22 rimfire ammo has such a nose is it's the best ballistic shape for them to loose velocity the slowest. Slow moving stuff in air needs a rounded nose to be efficient. Look a handgun bullets; none of 'em have points on their bullets leaving near the speed of sound or slower like high velocity rifle bullets.

Pointed bullets leaving around 1100 fps don't do as well as round nose versions. Besides, how well is that bullet balanced after you've pointed it. Accuracy tests will tell.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think your objective in pointing 'em was to make 'em shoot further, faster, or something like that.

But with submarines as well as other ships, they move throught water with a bulbous nose. That's why .22 rimfire ammo has such a nose is it's the best ballistic shape for them to loose velocity the slowest. Slow moving stuff in air needs a rounded nose to be efficient. Look a handgun bullets; none of 'em have points on their bullets leaving near the speed of sound or slower like high velocity rifle bullets.

Pointed bullets leaving around 1100 fps don't do as well as round nose versions. Besides, how well is that bullet balanced after you've pointed it. Accuracy tests will tell.
From what I understand, a tapered rear is the biggest part of reducing drag, like the helmets those racing cyclists, or downhill skiers, or a canoe. Hence the round nose and long tapered tail of airliners.

Just wondering, is that the idea behind boat-tail bullets? Or is there a different reason for boat tails?

·
Registered
609 Posts
From what I understand, a tapered rear is the biggest part of reducing drag, like the helmets those racing cyclists, or downhill skiers, or a canoe. Hence the round nose and long tapered tail of airliners. Just wondering, is that the idea behind boat-tail bullets? Or is there a different reason for boat tails?
Compare the speeds of those things you mentioned; use feet per second so the comparison will be easy to see. You'll then see why different speed ranges need different shapes for least drag in their environment. One shape doesn't fit all forms in all environments.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
The old rimfire has been around a long time. Any modifications done to ammo should be done with a tool properly designed to give a uniform finished round. These are some I made several years ago. The 22 Mags seem to perform a little better in a revolver than the LR's do so the LR's are used in bolt actions. I have noticed a small loss in accuracy out to 50 yards and beyond but prefer to keep shots around 25-35 yards when using them.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 68 Posts