Gun and Game Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Oh, OK. So...what does a boat tail accomplish? just curious.
From Sierra Bullets:

Boat tails have a higher ballistic coefficient than flat base designs. This translates to more retained velocity and less wind drift at long ranges. Here's an example; we fire two 180 grain bullets from a .30-06, at a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps. One is a conventional Spitzer, and the other is a Spitzer Boat Tail. When both bullets reach 500 yards, the Spitzer is moving along at 1865 fps, while the Spitzer Boat Tail is still travelling at slightly over 2000 fps. For the hunter, this means more energy, flatter trajectory, and less wind drift.

Sierra also learned in the late 1950's that full metal jacket boat tail match bullets didn't shoot as accurate as the same shape bullet made with a hollow point. They changed their match bullets to the hollow point design with boattail bullets. Seems the hollow point ones had better dimensional uniformity at their body where the boattail taper starts down to the flat base. The open end of the cored jacket didn't fold over and shape as uniformly as the closed end as the boattail and point was formed in a die.

And longer boattails typically shoot more accurate at longer ranges than shorter ones for the same weight bullet. Case in point; Sierra's 30 caliber 180-gr. Hollow Point Match King. It first had a long boattail the same length as their 190, 200 and 220-gr. HPMK's. In the late 1980's, they changed that bullet's boattail to a shorter one like their 30 caliber 168-gr. HPMK bullet. It shot decent up through 500 yards, but like their 168, it fell short of the accuracy mark at longer ranges. The arsenal's quit using Sierra 168's in their most accurate ammo and switched to Sierra's 175-gr. HPMK version; it had a longer boattail.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's a nice concept, and maybe if you could find some way to make it more consistant, than I think it would have some purpose, or might just serve as something fun. But right now, with the way they look, no real reason to use them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
From Sierra Bullets:

Boat tails have a higher ballistic coefficient than flat base designs. This translates to more retained velocity and less wind drift at long ranges. Here's an example; we fire two 180 grain bullets from a .30-06, at a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps. One is a conventional Spitzer, and the other is a Spitzer Boat Tail. When both bullets reach 500 yards, the Spitzer is moving along at 1865 fps, while the Spitzer Boat Tail is still travelling at slightly over 2000 fps. For the hunter, this means more energy, flatter trajectory, and less wind drift.

Sierra also learned in the late 1950's that full metal jacket boat tail match bullets didn't shoot as accurate as the same shape bullet made with a hollow point. They changed their match bullets to the hollow point design with boattail bullets. Seems the hollow point ones had better dimensional uniformity at their body where the boattail taper starts down to the flat base. The open end of the cored jacket didn't fold over and shape as uniformly as the closed end as the boattail and point was formed in a die.

And longer boattails typically shoot more accurate at longer ranges than shorter ones for the same weight bullet. Case in point; Sierra's 30 caliber 180-gr. Hollow Point Match King. It first had a long boattail the same length as their 190, 200 and 220-gr. HPMK's. In the late 1980's, they changed that bullet's boattail to a shorter one like their 30 caliber 168-gr. HPMK bullet. It shot decent up through 500 yards, but like their 168, it fell short of the accuracy mark at longer ranges. The arsenal's quit using Sierra 168's in their most accurate ammo and switched to Sierra's 175-gr. HPMK version; it had a longer boattail.
Unless I completely misunderstood, it looks like this just confirmed that the long tapered rear of a boat tail reduced drag.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Ok so its not just me that thinks this is totaly stupid. Wtf are you thinking on top of where will the bullet end up, because my guess is probably court.

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
I in the intrest of being amongst the freindly of the freindliest (see G+G monicer), have given this person the bennifit of the doubt and asked for whom to explain the reason for doing this and the thoughts behind it . I told hunter92 that I have done things like this only to find out later on it wasnt the right thing to do and this is part of learning and that we all can always learn more . If hunter 92 returns please respect this person and treat them as a member of the freindliest forum on the internet. I suspect that this person is just getting started in firearms and the last thing I want is to drive them away from a good hobby and a good site. If i am wrong tell me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I in the intrest of being amongst the freindly of the freindliest (see G+G monicer), have given this person the bennifit of the doubt and asked for whom to explain the reason for doing this and the thoughts behind it . I told hunter92 that I have done things like this only to find out later on it wasnt the right thing to do and this is part of learning and that we all can always learn more . If hunter 92 returns please respect this person and treat them as a member of the freindliest forum on the internet. I suspect that this person is just getting started in firearms and the last thing I want is to drive them away from a good hobby and a good site. If i am wrong tell me.
You are not wrong...if he is for real. Unless this was a joke...I would say that giving him kind instruction is our DUTY, ands in our best interest as far as furthering gun safety, as well as gun rights.

However, I, personally, am growing very suspicious of this thread as a joke.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
To be fair at 9 I had my own pocket knife and .22
At age 6 I received an H&R Model 622 Revolver for Christmas, of which I wasn't allowed to go out and shoot by myself but it was mine. At age 9 I received a 20 gauge shotgun that I was allowed to go squirrel hunting with by myself and had a few pocket knives. Though I must admit my Dad was a very strict teacher when it came to such things, and I had a lot to prove in order to be allowed to shoot or go hunting.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hunter, don't play with any ammo until U R well versed on what U R doing. Be SAFE. They make a bullet shape called EPS made by Eley. It is expensive though. It has a small little tip on it, but it is not sharp. Sharpening a 22 bullet will not help do anything but make it less accurat. Please don't mess with bullets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have done the sharping of 22 lr bullets let me tell they will pierce through 8 maple skate boards, used of coruse an round nose wont can use safe armor piercing if you been in a home invasion an they had vest on pop a couple of holes in them fools so dont HATE on the guy i keep a mag or 2 ready for such occasion .. Clowns kill

41 - 60 of 68 Posts