Gun and Game Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, the idea of shaving lead off a bullet in order to make is more pointed is, indeed, stupid; but this thread reminds me of this guy I used to know who made his own 'special bullets'.

What he did was to drill out the center of an FMJ bullet; and, then, he would insert the clipped-off end of a 16-d framing nail, and epoxy it in place. Next, he'd check them in the magazine for fit; and, afterwards, he'd load 'um up and fire them in his gun.

All in all, this guy's 'special bullets' seemed to work pretty good. I don't really understand what he was trying to do, but I think it had something to do with getting the bullet to be more front-end loaded, and aerodynamic so that it would fly straighter?

• Wow
Reactions: jwrauch

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I do remember a hollow-point making jig for 22lr, for drilling a small hole in the tip. Don't know if it did much, I thought guys were doing it to improve accuracy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
@Hunter92, doing what you are makes the bullets have a different point of impact because of the difference in weight and shape. You have no consistency in what you are doing or the end result you are getting. So what may normally be a fairly accurate bullet bullet will no longer be so. Stop what you are doing as you are wasting ammunition.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
It has risen from the dead like a loyal Chicago DNC voter.😛

I don't remember it originally and going by the title I thought it was along the lines of- "With all the shortages and rise in price what's the point of using it anymore?" Or something like that.😁

61 - 68 of 68 Posts