Police Alert For Cyanide Truck

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, May 15, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips Guest

Now why would someone do this??????????

Texas On Lookout For Stolen Chemical Truck
    Is Cyanide Payload Headed For Texas?

POSTED: 7:53 a.m. CDT May 13, 2002
    UPDATED: 11:57 a.m. CDT May 13, 2002

DALLAS -- Texas authorities are on alert for a stolen tractor-trailer hauling a hundred drums of cyanide.

The FBI has confirmed that Texas lawmen have been warned to be on alert for a truck carrying cyanide that was hijacked in Mexico.

Three gunmen are responsible for the hijacking, according to the FBI, which happened Sunday just north of Mexico City along highway 85.

Texas state troopers don't know whether the hijackers will attempt to drive across the border into Texas, but they are on high alert.

Texas officials are also asking everyone to keep an eye out for the truck.

Here's a description of the truck:

White 2002 Kenworth Tractor Trailer
    Mexico license plate number 980CZ6.

2. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Drums of cyanide? What do they mean by that? Is it a weak cyanide wash used in plating, or is it powdered potassium or sodium cyanide salts? Or is it hydrogen cyanide gas? If it is the wash solution, it is not very dangerous. If it is one of the others, it could be very bad.

3. Doglips

Doglips Guest

I truly hope you flunked chemestry...cause here is what WOFL posted as the stuff stolen...sodium cyanide...10 tons of it.

Mexico City-AP -- Authorities on both sides of the U-S border are on the lookout for a truck stolen in Mexico -- along with its ten-ton cargo of deadly sodium cyanide.

4. Klaus

Klaus Guest

If it is actually sodium cyanide, not a solution, it could be trouble. However, the good news is, that unless the bad guys are well trained in chemistry, they will probably kill themselves trying to make a weapon. I will not go into any further details on this.

5. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

The obvious

(Scenario) Ok I am going to steal a truck full of cyanide to either scare or attack the US. Now I would know that this would be an APB and everyone and his momma would be looking for it. I would switch trucks and/or change tags on it. I doubt we will find them in the original truck. Could be possible though.

I doubt the guys would be that stupid!

But all they have to do is drive it into a city's water supply lake and detonate it. What do you think would happen if they dumped a whole truck into a reservoir? Even if it was so diluted and they treated it people would still be panicking.

How come they don't say what nationality these guys were? White, black, asian, arab?

6. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

The threat is very real and serious. south Tx cops are seriously pursuing every lead.

7. Klaus

Klaus Guest

The threat is not cyanide in drinking water. That is easy to detect and treat.The problem is HCN, hydrogen cyanide gas.

8. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Maybe its me but I take all these warnings with a grain of salt. Okay there is a chance of something happening but on the other hand I think Bin Laden knows he succeeded because he now has put what we considered a lot of our freedoms at risk. Because they are being taken away for false threats think about it flying was very affordable prior to last year and now we have all these extra security and other measures in place to irritate the law biding citizens. If we want to show the BG's that we are back to normal and their actions didn't make a difference we would simply go back to the way things were before last year - with the exception of fixing the ineffective INS.

Some of you may think there are serious threats and I will ackwoledge that but its simple who are the BG's they are male, Middle eastern, 18 - 40year olds. Like I have been saying lets pay more attention to this criteria that restricting or citizens

9. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Stories are flying all over. That part of Mexico is notorious for all kinds of auto/truck theft. Odds are the douche bags didn't even know what they were stealing other than the truck, at least thats what I am hoping for.

The trailer will probably be found with all the chemicals in it, but the truck will be gone. Once these DB's hear or find out whats in the trailer, they'll leave it. Hopefully.

10. Doglips

Doglips Guest

FBI issues alert for missing truck loaded
    with deadly cyanide
    The FBI put out an alert to law enforcement agencies Wednesday to be on the lookout for a tractor-trailer combo, hijacked in Mexico last week, that bears a
    cargo of 96 heavy-duty drums of the rock form of the industrial chemical sodium cyanide. The total haul is 21,120 pounds of the chemical

11. Hank Springer

Hank Springer Guest

Serious Situation

The theft of 21,000 plus pounds of sodium cyanide is serious. In the right hands it can become a grave threat. Anyone who would steal the load would most likely have a qualified chemist in place beforehand. This could have the potential to be more devastating than the attack on the World Trade Center. Check with your friendly neighborhood chemist concerning the possiblies.

Last edited: May 17, 2002
  12. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Truck Found!

According to Neal Bortz of the Neal Bortz show, the truck has been found and the cyanide is missing!

13. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Well, WHERE was it found? Guess I'll be keeping my gas mask next to me bed. The NATO spec NBC filter should give some protection vs. HCN.

Last edited: May 17, 2002