Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Metropolitan Police Department yesterday moved cautiously into its program to ask to search homes in the District for illegal guns while civil rights activists knocked on doors and used bullhorns to keep residents from participating. "We shouldn't make the next casualty of street violence cherished civil rights," said Johnny Barnes, director of American Civil Liberties Union of the National Capital Area. "We're very uncomfortable with police randomly banging on doors without probable cause asking for access."

More...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
So if you deny them the right to search your house...what are the consequences?

They don't have warrants, right?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
So if you deny them the right to search your house...what are the consequences?

They don't have warrants, right?
If it is like the last one, they have to ask ... and can search with consent. Without it, they have no warrants, so no search.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
None of it makes sense to me. The police should have bigger things to worry about. Besides, if they would allow citizens to protect themselves and protect their own homes, they wouldn't have half the problems that they do right now.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
When will the social engineers learn gun control bans do not work? Any law enacted for any reason only affects the law abiding anyway. Do these mental midgets actually believe that a carjacker/rapist/thief already breaking the law to make money/etc is really gonna say to his/her self "Golly they just made having a handgun illegal, reckon I ought to go get me a shotgun instead"? Give me a break bans don't work, never have never will and let's be real honest here if it were possible to eliminate every firearm from the face of the earth by waving a wand the criminals would just find a new tool to kill or intimidate with. Gun control don't work!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Gun search

Now, how are they going to make a complete search of your home without intimidating you or breaking something. I have been around to many cops to know how they work. It’s not their stuff if it gets broke or ruined , their attitude ,oh well, lets move on.

In the end it all turns black

·
Registered
80 Posts
If they get away with this once where will it end?
can I expect two or three years from now answering a knock at my door and the police say we need to search you home for anything illeagle.
not that i have anything thats illeagle, but i mean this could start of something that spreads. we have constitutional rights for now but they keep taking more of them away.
when is someone going to say ENOUGH!!!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
... called the 4th Amendment. Without probable cause, their entrance without permission is illegal. Anything illegally found is no longer admissible in court.

It is simple... no search without probable cause and a Judge granting the entry (search warrant specifying exactly what is being searched for). If they are looking for a rifle... for example, they can't look through the silverware drawer. A specified item has to be identified... and any search out of that scope can be challenged.

·
Super Moderator
16,866 Posts
I dont blame the police for this so much as the idiot politicians above them pressuring them to do so. The police have better things to do and they know it too.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I dont blame the police for this so much as the idiot politicians above them pressuring them to do so. The police have better things to do and they know it too.
I agree completely ... probably a Democrat or Liberal pressuring the Police Chief to comply.

We all know that most Democrats and pretty much all Liberals are anti-gun.

I definitely do not see this coming from a Republican.

Maybe the Police Dept should be working on their jobs in the murder capital of the U.S. ... ?

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
First Chicago, and now D.C. I'll bet they are desperately trying for more "ammo" for the Heller case. [See, look at all the guns we found] Just do not open the door. No warrant, no search. I heard if you refuse, that gives them probable cause for a warrant. they are doing the same thing in Dallas, it's called knock and chat. If this is plan B, it ain't good. Stand up America, tell them no!
Where is the line in the sand, people?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
First Chicago, and now D.C. I'll bet they are desperately trying for more "ammo" for the Heller case. [See, look at all the guns we found] Just do not open the door. No warrant, no search. I heard if you refuse, that gives them probable cause for a warrant. they are doing the same thing in Dallas, it's called knock and chat. If this is plan B, it ain't good. Stand up America, tell them no!
Where is the line in the sand, people?
Refusal is not probable cause for a warrant. There would need to be other information for a judge to approve a search warrant... something specific. A rumor means nothing, it would have to be substantiated.

Nobody... but nobody is allowed in my home without my consent ... or they will be looking into the eyes of one angry man and the dangerous end of my Benelli M2...

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
If they get away with this once where will it end?
can I expect two or three years from now answering a knock at my door and the police say we need to search you home for anything illeagle.
not that i have anything thats illeagle, but i mean this could start of something that spreads. we have constitutional rights for now but they keep taking more of them away.
when is someone going to say ENOUGH!!!
Someone did at Concord Bridge about 232 years ago.

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,219 Posts
Maybe if they searched for illegal drugs, we wouldn't need guns.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Now do you think they right down the names and or addresses of those that didn't participate so that they can later go in with a search warrant? Thinking they didn't participate because they have or may have something to hide, I wonder? Wouldn't put it past them that's for sure.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Now do you think they right down the names and or addresses of those that didn't participate so that they can later go in with a search warrant? Thinking they didn't participate because they have or may have something to hide, I wonder? Wouldn't put it past them that's for sure.
Refusal is not probable cause for a warrant. There would need to be other information for a judge to approve a search warrant... something specific. A rumor means nothing, it would have to be substantiated.

It still comes down to probable cause.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So what you do is start screming NO!!!.... Take your guns to a friends house By the time they get back with a warrent only to find a pellet rifle.. jokes on them hehehe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts