Police officer needs your help.....

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oneastrix, Sep 2, 2002.

1. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Okay military types, give me your best jungle boot polishing strategy......... I can't seem to get them to shine like I think they should......

2. Klaus

Klaus Guest

You have to finish polishing with a wetted cloth. It was not called a spit shine for nothing. I'd recommend water though.

3. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    if you want a glossy spit shine thats cool. But, in most professions of the sorts a good clean matte black is more favorable. At any rate. If they are new, they will have a funky (my technical term) coating on them. You have to work through it with a lot of elbow grease.
    Get the applicator brush in some good quality polish (Kiwi)
    brush it into the leather, then brush off with the polish brush.
    A bit of spray mist from a bottle may be used.
    keep doing this until your tired of it.
    get a soft rag (diaper) or use coton balls next.
    put a DAB of polish on the cotton ball with a bit of water and work in tiny circular motions. Over and over again. The toes will turn out the best. keep the water and polish going for a long time on the boot, allways keeping a fresh rag or cotton ball. Your building layers of polish and actually making the polish shine rather than the leather.
    When you have a good base, grab some of the wife's knee high hose and lightly buff it up.
    For ceremony or show you cant beat stripping the boots with Zip Strip and applying a baked on coating of Leather Luster. My honor guard jump boots still look good from 1988. the stuff doesn't crack or peel (it will scuff) Some LE's used to do holsters in leather luster as well, gives it that patent leahter look.

4. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I use Kiwi as you've recomended, but they don't have a bit of luster to them. What's all this I hear from people about putting a cig lighter to them?

5. jerry

USA
    sometimes if you heat the wax, it fills the poors a bit better. some boots just will never shine that well. we had a guy in basic who did the whole flights boots every night while we did the stuff he couldn't do. ( he was a shine guy from Chicago) there were some pairs of boots he couldn't even do anything with.

6. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Let the wax burn for a few seconds...makes it easier to apply because it is a liquid instead of a solid

7. jerry

USA
    just use a bit of caution, it is flamable. I put a can on the stove once, ONCE. Had it on low, looked away at the weather for a minute and turned around to see it on fire. That was a fun morning!

8. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I would bet your process would even make the boots I wear when carpentering look good until I walked through a pile of mud. (ha):nod: :D

9. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Us Ex-jungle types don't make our boots, or anything else shiney.

In the barricks, a tad bit of Future Floor wax on the toes and heels will give you a nice shine. If you put it on any part that bends or moves, the leather will crack.

Ok for Candy Soldiers.

10. Stewart

Stewart Guest

Along with heating, or melting the polish, I always liked to use very cold water, the colder the better. Don't ask me, my boots always came out with much more shine this way. If you do decide to use the Future, be aware that it will tend to crack over time, especially on places other than the toes of the boots.

11. Doglips

Doglips Guest

Since everyone covered the regular ways I guess I'll cover the cheating methoud.....There use to be a product called "Leather Luster" (back in 1985) for saddles and stuff. Strip the boots....cote with this stuff...pre heat oven to 350 and TURN IT OFF....place boots in oven to dry. You end up with paten leather boots...nice and shinney but hot as all get out. If you air dry the boots you end up with dust covered stickey boots.

12. jerry

USA
    They still sell leather luster, it's on a pair of jump boots of mine from 1988 and still holds up. your right you need to throw them in the oven between coats. (albeit not recomended by the mfg) Several coats are better. Take very fine steel wool in between coats and buff it out, then re-apply. kind of like painting a car. use one of those foam paint brushes to apply. I swear by this stuff!

http://www.leatherluster.com/

I still believe black is good to go for working boots, the shiny stuff is good for show, ceremonies, or office work.

1* if you still cant get the boots to shine; try taking everything down with laquer thinner untill no more black comes off, (mabe hit w/ some sand paper) then start the polish routine again. If all else fails, jungle boots make great sandles when you cut strips of leather out of the foot area. Just make sure there are no habu's in the area ;)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2002
  13. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Yup, that stuff does give a gloss close to patent leather. Have not seen it in a long time though.

14. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I'm not a big fan of extremely shiny boots, but we have a new Chief of Police. He's really into it at roll call. I think it's non-tactical as heck, but he likes the parade look. What can I say.....

15. jerry

USA
    wear show boots at roll call then change.??? or just do the toes in leather luster.

16. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I got a pretty good shine on them last night after reading this thread..... First call today was to a construction site. Scuffed up and dusty again. That's just the way it goes! LOL

17. Stewart

Stewart Guest

I hate when they have a formation in a place that messes up your shine job. Jerry has got a good suggestion if you can do it, get a pair that you get really shined up for inspection only then switch after.

18. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

That's what I do all the time. It can be a pain, but it saves on unnecessary work........