Police Trade In G22 Gen 2

Discussion in 'Glock' started by Jaison, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Warning- Pic heavy

At the beginning of the ammo shortage, the local shelves were stripped of every pistol round except .40 S&W.

I thought it would be a good idea to secure a pistol in that caliber for the future.

Today, after months of searching, I found a pistol with the right price and in the right condition.

Police Trade In Glock 22
    89416244-CA53-4D3E-8500-09DC5D20ABCA.jpeg

It has some holster wear

C8A80170-7B41-4988-AD54-E1833CF1932D.jpeg

BDC49826-55C7-4735-AF2F-03536C7EE3EA.jpeg

But, important things are in very good shape.

8F48A1F2-73EE-46CA-A6D9-30F1590CE389.jpeg

The night sights will get replaced... maybe.
    67A84B58-B249-4842-8306-EE82631298E3.jpeg

The slide is rust free and has been taken care of.

0352AB02-637F-4FD9-81D2-6B071DE601DF.jpeg

The frame and rails show little wear.

11CAF1E8-29F4-4764-9EAD-6947E7FB89C6.jpeg

These photos are after I stripped, cleaned and lubed it. Forgot to take before photos. The oil is a little heavy, but it was really dry when I bought it.

Pulled the striker and cleaned a boatload of garbage out of the channel and off the pin/spring. Firing pin is excellent.

My thoughts are to use this as a truck gun or maybe a tackle bag pistol. Either way, it seemed like a good price at $250.00.

2. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Good buy in these times!

3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Carried a LOT. Shot very LITTLE.

$250 was a steal!

BTW - Glock 22 GEN 2 in 40S&W is one of the unsupported chambers. Reloads from that Glock pistol are not recommended, i.e. if shot from that pistol, do not reload and shoot them again.

With that being said, I have done it with as many as 3 reloadings of the same brass, in the same pistol. After that, I tossed the brass.

TACAV, MosinRuger, graybeard and 6 others like this.
  4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yeppers Jaison, you probably did some good shopping. I hope it gives you several thousand rounds of trouble free service.

graybeard, Junction15, jerry and 4 others like this.
  5. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

you forgot to clean the bubble gum off the sights.

6. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

lol....I second that (personal experience) ! Nor do I shoot reloads in my G23.

Congrats jaison ! The .40 is a great round and due the 9mm crunch I've swapped the G19 for the 23 for EDC (at least when I'm carrying with the simply rugged OWB in TX; otherwise it's the Sig P365). Got really good reserves of 9's but also have a whole bunch of 40 left over from last time.

Not to mention I've been dealing with some new shooters (and some existing ones) short on 9mm training rounds who I can help at this point. Lord knows if we can help people get into the self-reliant and shooting is fun mindset it helps our cause in the long run.

Given an option between 9 and 40 I'd take the 40. The 9's OK too but the 40 does definitely have more thump to it. For training there's not enough of a difference (to me at least) between a G23 and a G19 with similar sight setup and trigger. So it's nice to have.

7. Jaison

Appreciate the feedback and well wishes, gents. Hope to drag it to a range soon and let it bark. Will post pics, if possible.

mrmike7189, K75RT, graybeard and 8 others like this.
  8. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

Whoa whoa whoa!!!! I'm going to need some elaboration on this topic!

And Jais...where did you find that. I have a NIB Springfield that I'd love to get rid of and replace with your gun.

9. TXplt

The only elaboration I’ve ever needed is when the unsupported section of a commercially bought reload let go on my G23 (posted on this site a few times) blowing the mag clear (trashing it out) and blowing the extractor into never never land—as well as getting everyone’s attention. A testimony to Glock that once the extractor was replaced the gun was fine.

What makes the gun function so reliably also can contribute to fatigue wear of some brass when multiple cycles occur in some Glock models—especially in cartridges that run at higher pressures.

10. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Do a search on G&G for Glock 40 S&W "unsupported chamber" for more data. This topic has been beat to death, multiple times.

11. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I don't know if I have ever heard the terms "operate reliably" used in the same paragraph where something is described as exploding using a commercially available product designed for it.

That car is very reliable, except it can explode if you use Texaco.

That airplane is very reliable except it will explode if the wrong drink trolley is used.

That TV is extremely reliable, unless you turn to channel 23, then it explodes.

Those shoes are very reliable, except if you wear cotton socks, then they will explode.

That fire extinguisher is very reliable, unless you pull the safety pin, then it explodes.

Junction15 likes this.
  12. Jaison

PM sent, 'Spooker.

13. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Nice find. For that price it would be hard to pass up that's for sure.

I have a Gen 2 model 23 I picked up in 92. It was my primary carry gun for many years.

Several years ago I picked up a Sig P229 in 357Sig. It too was a Police Trade in. Lots of holster wear on it but internally it was clean as could be. Think I paid $300 for the gun a then added a left handed safariland holster and 4 mags. It's been a great gun.

Junction15, Ten Man, Jaison and 2 others like this.
  14. TXplt

Perhaps I should have said it was a RELOAD from a commercial source (who did make good on taking the ammo back and gave me a coupon for a new extractor). With a defective USED brass casing which let go not surprisingly where it was not supported. I'd have no way of knowing how many cycles the brass had on it; once fired or what or in what. Did the lack of support of the case contribute to the incident ? Perhaps; it DID happen at the unsupported area. But I'd hardly say that's the fault of the gun. As such these comments are inaccurate.

So it's not the same as new brass or factory ammo at all. I gambled with a reload and lost; thankfully I didn't lose much.

I don't shoot reloads in 40 anymore; whether that's in a Glock or even my HK VP-40. Some do and that's great.

K75RT, neophyte, Junction15 and 2 others like this.
  15. Jaison

Thanks, brother.

Wouldn’t mind owning a .357SIG, either. I know a guy who does security for a huge local medical facility. They are issued .357SIGS (Sig Saur, I believe). Says he loves the round.

16. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

You can get a 357SIG conversion barrel for your Glock Model 22, for about $125. You can use the same magazines. ;)

17. Jaison

Well, now, that is mighty interesting. Spent so much time looking for serial number info yesterday, I got sick of searching stuff.

Will definitely have to do a deep dive on this G22.

Thanks for the heads up!

neophyte, TXplt, Junction15 and 2 others like this.
  18. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Good deal on the G22! I bought exactly the same thing - 9 years ago and about $300. Leo trade-in refurbished by Glock.
    First thing I did was put a trigger kit in it. It just didn't seem like it should have a 7 or 8 pound trigger.
    I like it - sort of. I'm keeping it but I just haven't warmed up to 40S&W so much. It shoots just fine though.

As Ten Man said, you can drop in a 357 SIG barrel, and have a different caliber.
    And you can also get a 9mm conversion for it. Mine is a Wolf barrel. You can use the G22 magazines, but the G17 mags work better. Supposedly,the 9mm rounds can volcano out the 40 cal feed lips, but I have not had that happen. Since the mags were cheap (then, not so much right now) I just went with G17 mags.

As for reliability, I have shot action pistol matches with the 9mm conversion in the G22. No hiccups at all. I have shot it that way enough that I would trust it as a carry gun.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  19. Jaison

Thanks!

A friend of mine sent me some pics of his 9mm conversion kit earlier. I really had no idea how adaptable this model is.

20. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

We are still talking commercial ammo, reload or not. That just means it is more like:

That fire extinguisher is very reliable, unless it has been refurbed and inspected by a licensed fire extinguisher company, then it will explode.

That car is very reliable, except it can explode if you use that commercially made recycled oil from Express.

That TV is extremely reliable, unless you plug in a factory refurbished DVD player, then it explodes.

That airplane is very reliable except it will explode if you put any part on it that has been professionally refurbished.

Those shoes are very reliable, except if you wear factory seconds socks from Big Lots, then they will explode.

A Glock is supposed to be a military grade gun. Military ammo is a grab bag of pseudo standard bulk-produced ammo made by a dozen different NATO countries, stored in often terrible conditions, and in many cases packed to be used up to a half century or more later.

The British fought WWII with ammo made in the basement of a bombed out church, out of extruded brass salvaged from chandeliers, bells, and other garbage, guesstimated their powder loads by candlelight, and used everything from the plaster of the walls, to aluminum shavings, to sawdust, to pocket lint, to fill up the rest of the case.
    Then they proceeded to use that ammo around the world, in every condition, until 1957.
    There are less reported Kabooms of British weaponry during that period than in the last 10 years of Glock alone. Maybe we can blame the internet on more cases being documented versus a period where it might be in the government's best interest not to make soldiers paranoid about their ammo, I don't know.

The Italians made their ammo from brass tubing with a folded over base cap that tended to separate in the gun under regular use. There are plenty of accounts of jams and extractor issues, but virtually no kabooms.

Prisoners of the Nazis intentionally sabotaged tens of thousands of rounds of ammo. For their effort we have 13 reported cases of Nazi Kabooms.

Terrorists in what was once called Waziristan are still using ammo intentionally sabotaged by the British 80 years ago in their weapons, and even then Kabooms are rare.

Prisoners in Soviet Gulags sabotaged ammo for decades, and even then kabooms are rare. Heck, we have all probably shot some of that surplus ammo at some point before it dried up and just wondered why one round beat us up a little more than the rest.

In Vietnam the U.S. government initiated Project Eldest Son - an effort to put dangerous ammo in Viet Cong and NVA supplies. The program lasted two years and inserted tens of thousands of rounds of handgun, rifle and mortar ammo. There are 26 documented cases of guns found exploded by it. 12 with fatal results. Ironically, four documented explosions were from SOG guys who picked up captured weapons knowing that the ammo might be dangerous.

Even on the Vietnamese history sites where everything is exaggerated, and everyone else is always the monster, they only list 32 incidents with small arms.

We have centuries of history of crappy ammo being used in military weapons, including ammo specifically designed to fail, often for weapons hammered out of salvaged metal, under wartime conditions, and in the case of Germany and Vietnam, those weapons were also often sabotaged.

In all of that history, including efforts going back to the late 1880s, I could only find 350 documented cases of kabooms when people were purposely trying for them.

A quick search of YouTube shows me 1000+ videos of Glock kabooms.

The entirety of the Western World's Black Ops community over the course of more than a century could not get those results on purpose.

jerry and neophyte like this.