close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Police urge people to be on alert after four similar crimes in month

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

This was in my local paper today....Ill add my comments at the end.

Complete FLORIDA TODAY coverage delivered to your door. Subscribe now.
    Apr 25, 10:39 PM

Robbers invade occupied home

Police urge people to be on alert after four similar crimes in month

By J.D. Gallop
    FLORIDA TODAY

COCOA -- A series of home-invasion robberies -- including one in Cocoa on Thursday in which robbers walked in on a woman getting out of the shower -- has prompted investigators to issue warnings to residents.

The latest home invasion took place at 11:48 a.m. Thursday along the 1800 block of Long Leaf Drive. Two men apparently walked into a residence, where the door had been left unlocked, officials said.

"It was very disturbing, because they knew the home was occupied," said Barbara Matthews, spokeswoman for the Cocoa Police Department.

The 40-year-old woman, wearing only a towel, confronted the men but was not hurt. Both men fled the residence with jewelry and a filet knife from the woman's master bedroom, Matthews said.

It was the fourth such burglary in a month, although investigators aren't sure the cases are related.

"People need to make sure that they secure their residences," said Ron Bell, spokesman for the Melbourne Police Department. "A crime needs only three things to take place -- a criminal, a victim and an opportunity."

The first home invasion this month took place April 6 in Mims after two masked intruders forced their way into a residence off Old Dixie Highway.

"The victim was sleeping on the couch and saw these two men in his living room," said Sheriff's Agent Brian Guilford. "He ripped off one of the masks," Guilford said.

"It's always a likelihood that any of these could be related, but I have to sit down and compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges," Guilford said.

The next robbery happened at a Melbourne hotel, where two men armed with handguns approached a resident who left his room and forced him to knock on another door at the establishment, reports show.

A man, who was in the room with a woman, opened the door and was pushed back inside by the robbers. A struggle ensued and one of the robbers fired a handgun into the floor, officials said. No arrests were made in that case.

The other home invasion took place in Cocoa on Wednesday, with two men forcing their way into a house in the 1000 block of North Fiske Boulevard and firing a shot into a wall.

No one was hurt, and both robbers fled the home, Matthews said.

Police urge people to be on alert after four similar crimes in month ... Alert... thats nice..ARMED would be better at least in my
    way of thinking...Funny how us gun nuts are called paranoid...and articals like this just prove that just because your paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.