close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

polish m44 wont group

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by hipshooter, Mar 23, 2002.

1. hipshooter

hipshooter G&G Newbie

ohio
    Hey everyone, I have a russian m44 that shoots 3 " at 100. My polish wont group at all . any suggestions? bores look great. TIA

2. If your useing surplus ammo then a 3 inch group at 100 yards sounds fair to me, my m44 shoot's a little over 1 inch at 50 yards, which means it shoot 2 1/2 maybe 3 inch's at 100 yards, like i said before, if your useing milsurp ammo then that's probably the best group your gonna have.

3. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

That's roughly the grouping I get at 100 with milsurp with the 91/30. I get a bit tighter witrh my Lee Enfield Mk4 no 1 at 100 with milsurp, but when I go to new bullets it goes down significantly.

4. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Hey Hip have you checked the crown on your polish M44? are there any deformities? this might be part of your problem.
    are the sights secure? Barrel/stock? front sight/bayo ?
    If your M44 wont group you might try an old trick it's called "freebore" you bore an oversize section about 1/4" from the muzzel until you get to clean rifleing. or you could just recrown
    This is all after you have concluded that it is NOT an ammunition
    problem.
    Let us know what you find

5. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

This is an off the wall sugestion...but Im assumeing you checked the sights and they are on tight..cleaned the barrel and stuff like that. My Russian M44 shoots better with the bayonet extended out...read on a mosent web site that that is how they were designed to be shot....If every thing else fails you might want to give it a try....good luck..when you get it solved please let us know the answer...Im sure the ?? will come up again.

6. My guess would also be that your sights are just WAY off. The ammo could also make a difference as well. My M44 manages 3-5 inch groups at 100 yards. I shoot Russian Surplus Ammo and am not a very good marksman. Other guys probably get better results.

if the bore is good then maybe you need someone to professionally sight it in?

7. hipshooter

hipshooter G&G Newbie

ohio
    i may have discovered the problem.the trigger guard/magazine is loose. could this be it. its letting the barrel and action move. how tight should this bolt/screw be? im a little skeptical about this being the answer tho. could this be my problem?

8. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Hipshooter,
    Yes, that's most likely your problem. Tighten the screw until it's snug, then turn it 1/4 turn past that. It's letting the barrel move too much when it's loose. Also, Doglips is right about the bayonet . The Russians were sticklers (no pun intended) about their bayonets. All rifles were sighted in with the bayonet attached. Sounds strange, but it's the truth. My Remington M91 shoots MUCH better with the bayonet attached. Give it a try and let us know. HTH

9. I have also found that having the bayonet out works, what changes does this cause that would improve accuracy? The balance? barrel vibrations? or somthing else?
    I don't mind haveing the bayonet out when I am out in the woods, but at the range there is always some joker whom has to comment.

10. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

Concur with Calvin's comments.
    I don't know of anything that will more rapidly and dramatically affect groups than loose action screws. I've had that happen a few times while sighting in a new rifle (cleaned up old surplus beast). You rarely realize the action screws are backing out until you stumble on down to the target to admire the impact of your last group and you find the outline of the big dipper etched across the target.
    I'd bet you've found the primary problem.

11. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Hip have you shot that thing with the screws tight?
    if they keep backing out clean the screw and threaded hole with break cleen and apply red Locktite. this should solve the problem.
    let us know if tighting the screws worked

12. hipshooter

hipshooter G&G Newbie

ohio
    i cant wait to see if it was the problem either! over the last few days the weather has been horrible.it will probly be this weekend i can get it back out.

13. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

my russian m-44 was shooting real squirrelly when i first got it.finally figured out the frt sight was loose in the dovetail.got it tightened up and now it shoots like a champ.i have to agree w/everyone else though,if the action screws are loose the gun will never shoot right.good luck w/it!