close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Polishing feed ramps?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Ninja Piper, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

I was wondering if polishing feed ramps is a job that can be done by the "shade tree gunsmith," of if this is something best left to those who know what they are doing. Don't go off on me for being absolutely wrong, but to me it seems like this could be done by wrapping some 0000 steel wool around a bore brush on a drill and slowly polish the ramps that way. Am I way off on this one, or is this something that can be done at home?

2. RackHunter

RackHunter G&G Regular Forum Contributor

I was wondering the same thing except I'm not real sure I wanna use a steel wool on it. I was just wanting to use my dremel on a low speed with a mild polishing compound. Should I or is there a chance of messing something up? Good question Ninja Piper thanks.

3. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Enthusiast

I too had a feed ramp that I needed to polish.....scratches on my brass after chambering a round.

Like earlier poster mentioned....I used a dremel with a rubberizied polishing bit in it. Did just fine for what I needed to do. You need to be careful of where the dremel bit lock nut is to avoid it hitting the receiver when working the polishing bit on the ramp.

4. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

No! don't use a Dremel or steel wool. I've seen many posts on forums where they had to go to a gunsmith afterwards. Wait for one of our resident gunsmiths here to advise you on this.

5. hey_poolboy

hey_poolboy G&G Addict

If we're talking 1911 or something similar I have taken a dummy round or in a pinch a #2 pencil and wrapped it with 400 grit sand paper. It's best if you move the paper back and forth in the direction the bullet travels on the ramp. Start with 400, 600, 800, 1500. Something in between 600 and 1500 is hard to find. You don't want to change the angle of the ramp, nor do you want to remove much material. All you are after is just polishing out any machining marks.

If it's your first time start slow, then go slower. It will take some time. Just resist the urge to use a rotary tool of any type.

On the other hand, unless you are having a feed problem.....leave it alone. :yup:

6. K75RT

K75RT G&G Enthusiast

Polishing a feed ramp is just that, polishing; if you start changing feed angles with a dremel, or making drastic material removal you are asking for problems. A proper feed ramp polishing can be done with stones or wet/dry paper. Go easy or bring it to a Gunsmith.

7. billy

billy G&G Evangelist

i handed mine to a gunsmith.

8. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

if your asking the question, you most likely shouldnt be attempting it. however its your gun, so i wont stop you. beware that if you overdo it, you will have turned your pistol's frame into a paperweight. its not a difficult job to do properly, but home tinkerers have proven many times its easy to screw up.

9. jason1965

jason1965 mil-surp collector Forum Contributor

I have one word for you,Gunsmith.As others have said,one wrong move and that gun is toast.Good job for asking though.
    BTW,what kind of gun are we talking about here?
    I know that both of the Garands I had did not like soft point ammo,only FMJ.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  10. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

You can "polish" with a felt bob on your dremel using automotive rubbing compound, nothing more aggressive.

11. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

If I did it myself, I would take a old t-shirt, put some metal polish or Flitz on it and use my finger to polish it, until shiny. If it has a deep gouge or burr on it, it's got to polished correctly by a gunsmith or the factory. As lefty o said, the ramp is part of the frame and it you ruin it, you have to fill out form 4473 again to get a new one.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  12. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Evangelist

I guess I look at it not only as lefty o said, that it's your gun you and you can do with it as you wish. But I'd also look at it this way. If you're considering, wanting to or currently studying or learning to be a gunsmith and hopefully doing so under the tutelage of a trained, skilled and qualified gunsmith, you're eventually going to need a guinea pig and have to polish your first feed ramp. So you may as well use your own gun as that guinea pig. lol And if you do screw it up, well, me personally, I'd rather screw up my own gun then a customers gun. lol

Same thing for a trigger job. But there I'd find someone parting out a gun, obviously of the same make and model and is selling the trigger, any and all springs and other components and use those instead of the what's in the gun you're wanting or needing to do the/a trigger job on so if you do screw it up, you don't and didn't ruin the original parts and can then still take or ship it to a trained, skilled and qualified gunsmith. lol

But the best thing in all cases is to take or send it to a qualified gunsmith and not only get it done right but help keep that gunsmith in business.

But of course if you can afford to just go out and buy another new gun, or if you didn't ruin the entire gun and it was just a part or parts and can find, get and afford them, then by all means, have at it. lol

13. Ninja Piper

It is my new M1 Carbine. I wanted to ask before I did anything though. I had no clue so I wanted to ask first. I think I'll try the Flitz and t-shirt on my finger and see how that does. If it needs anything more than what my finger and Flitz can do, I'll take it in.

14. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Iv'e polished up a ramp a bit with a 3M cleaning pad. Adding a bit of flitz should not hurt. Like the fellers said, just don't want to change angles or remove metal. No problems with making it shiny.

15. jason1965

jason1965 mil-surp collector Forum Contributor

Before you do anything to it,could you post some pictures of it so we can have a look at it?

16. Ninja Piper

You know, I never even thought about that! Sorry!! Anyway, I just came back from the range and just brought it out of the case before I took the pictures so don't yell because it's dirty! I'm sitting down to clean it now. For the most part, it fed just fine. There were maybe two or three rounds that needed a little "forward assist" to chamber the round per 15 round magazine. I'm planning on making this my match rifle so I don't really want to live with just two or three rounds that I have to assist during the timed phases.

Attached Files:

17. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

before attacking the rifle itself, try some different magazines, and a different magazine catch.

18. Ninja Piper

I tried three magazines that all functioned similarly.

19. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

20. Ninja Piper

I do intend on switching out all the springs. I've only got a small amount of milsurp ammo left so I only put about 40 rounds through it and saved the last 50 rounds for the next carbine match. I don't have any reloads made up yet. This is the first time I've had it out. I did try all three of my 15 round magazines and they all had a couple slow feeds in them.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted