close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Polishing tips.......

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dale, Mar 18, 2002.

1. I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how I could remove some minor swirling marks in the brass receiver of my Hank .22 and what to coat it with after it's done?

Thanks guys and gals.

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Jeweler's rouge,the red stuff is very fine grit,and after spray with clear lacquer. Out of a spray can works fine,just do a few light coats and let dry in between. Does that sound like what your asking about Dale?

3. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Polishing compound might work well, too. Carnuba Car wax will preserve the finish for a while, but will come off easier with gun cleaning solvent.

4. tonto

tonto G&G Newbie

I'd us a dremel with a touch of polishing compound on a buffing wheel

5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    be very careful if you use a dremel on these flat surfaces, you might end up with it looking very wavy- be careful.

6. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

If you or a friend has a bench grinder, you can pick up a buffing wheel for a few $$$ and some buffing compound, A buffer with 1800 Rpm is better. A bench grinder will turn about 3600 rpm. If your not experienced at buffing at that speed you could hurt you and the gun. Buffers are the most dangerous machine in the shop. It'll maime you so quick it want even hurt. Use the bottom 1/2 of the wheel, below the shaft. The bigger buffing wheel would be less likely to cup it out and would blend it better. If its deep you will probably need to sand it out with some 400 or finer wet dry type sandpaper . Then buff out those scratches. I have a Buffer and everything you need, drop by one day and have fun. Better make sure it's real Brass before you do anything to it.

7. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Keep the part moving without a lot of pressure,don't stay in one spot too long.

8. I appreciate everyone's help. Since I don't have a grinder to put a polishing wheel on or a dremel I think I'll go with the red rouge and lacquer afterwards.

I kinda like doing things manually since I have more control over it.

Once again guys, thanks.

9. Robert

Robert Member

Mothers Mag Wheel Polish or Simicrome work miracles on brass.

Check your local Motorcycle shops. I agree with you. Hand rubbed is the best.

10. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Great idea Robert,forgot all about that stuff.

11. KidKwiK

KidKwiK G&G Newbie

I prefer Flitz for my polishing projects with great results.