POLL: Romanian SAR-I, open sights.....how good are you? How bad am I?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cranky-Kraut, Aug 1, 2002.

Rate Crankys skills....

1. You SUCK!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. You need LOTS of practice. (nice way of saying \"you SUCK\")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not bad for a novice. My grandma only trails you by 8 pts.

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  4. May I worship you? You are a marksmanship GOD!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cranky-Kraut

Cranky-Kraut Guest

Hi guys!
    Just a quick question about SAR-I accuracy with open sights. I just went for the first time to the local outdoor range here in Mountain Home, Arkansas. Its the first time I have fired my AK since moving here and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it did but would like to compare with others.

After some rough "sighting-in" with open-sights at a short 50m my final target showed 30 rounds as follows:

5 Bullseyes (Blk)
    8 hits in the "10" Ring (Blk)
    13 hits in the "9" Ring (Blk)
    2 hits in the "8" Ring
    1 hit in the Outermost "7" Ring
    1 wild shot, barely on the paper.

Granted this was at only 50 meters and not 100m like one would usually shoot but I am still curious to hear how you think I did. 100 meters with open sights is for me a matter of just aiming at the black circle and saying a prayer since I cant see the bullseye or rings anyway.

Thanks in advance for any input, insults or worshipful praise you may offer.

2. That is not too shabby for a semi that will never be considered a tack driver, especially with iron sights.

You're grouping is a little better than my SAR 3 at the same range.

I look like it this way....first, the gun is used to put lead out at your 'target' as quickly as you might need and two, with any assault situation, military or otherwise, the idea is to hit center of mass and hope you do damage.

In your case, you done good...fer sure.

3. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Sounds like you are pretty well protected to me!Better than good enough!:nod: :nod: :nod: :cool:

4. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

I put all 40 rnds inside the 8 ring at 30 yds with iron sigths but I have to aim each shot, I need glasses which I use all the time,
    At 20 yds, I can hit all 40 rnds inside the 9 ring with an ocasional 1 or 2 flyers per mag shooting as fast as I can aiming with iron sights.
    I think that you don't have to worry about being protected.

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

5. Michael M

Michael M Guest

You might like to experiment with different ammo. I have a SAR-1, also, and found that Barnaul ammo shoots way better in this piece, like group sizes cut in half. I had been shooting Wolf. Doesn't seem to matter what I run through the SKS, but at least this particular AK has a definite preference. Group also moved 4 inches higher and 6 inches left, so had to adjust the sights. It will now keep everything in the 8 ring or better at 100 yds, where before was all over the paper. I feel much better about the AK in general. And yes, iron sites here, too.