Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see they are still made and can be installed on old or new shot guns.

A friend wants to have a short quick handleing shot gun with choke tubes. Impossable to find a Remington 870 with a 18 to 20 inch barrel with choke tubes. He has given thought to buying a youth model and changeing out the stock for a adult. I suggested he cut the barrel down and get it threaded to use remchokes.
cost is form $100.00 just for threading to 250.00 for threading and 3 tubes.

I also suggested a poly choke but not sure if he was thinking of a rifles tube.

:D Al

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I had a Deluxe Poly Choke put on my Ithaca 37 years ago. Back when you could just send in the barrel for installation / barrel alteration/ Has every choke selection you might need. Including, slug.
The overall length of the PC and barrel....26 inches. Short and quick. A twist of the hand and I have a different choke.
Not sure what you mean by,"rifles tube."

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
That seems like a lot of money to spend on threading inside a new shotgun for choke tubes. I have a couple double barrel shotguns that came with five choke tubes each. The complete new guns can be had for 5-6 hundred. I also have a couple old Mossberg pump action shotguns and have the Poly choke. I only paid about $100 each for the shotguns. My local gun shop has like four of them now on the shelf. Also see them at all gun shows. I would buy a new or used shotgun with choke tubes or poly choke already.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they sell a rifled choke tube for shot guns 12 ga any way. Know a fellow that has it and he doesn't care for it as it will tighten up so tight he has had to take it in to a smith before to remove it.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
they sell a rifled choke tube for shot guns 12 ga any way. Know a fellow that has it and he doesn't care for it as it will tighten up so tight he has had to take it in to a smith before to remove it.

I put never seize on my threads. That stuff stays on forever and you only need a little bit of it.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
I see they are still made and can be installed on old or new shot guns.

A friend wants to have a short quick handleing shot gun with choke tubes. Impossable to find a Remington 870 with a 18 to 20 inch barrel with choke tubes.

I recently bought a 18" barrel with screw in chokes for my '70s era 870 Wingmaster. if I remember correctly, I got it from CDNN and it was less than $100.

·
<------------<<<-
3,866 Posts
I'm not sure if they're still made, but I have a ribbed 20" barrel with the rem choke. It was an 870 turkey gun.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
706 Posts
call me. this one changes chokes on the second shot automatically as an option. better than a polychoke. don't have to lug chokes around and fumble in the bush.
adjustomatic.JPG

·
Registered
19,622 Posts
call me. this one changes chokes on the second shot automatically as an option. better than a polychoke. don't have to lug chokes around and fumble in the bush.
View attachment 133772
I got to play with a similar Dial-A-Choke of 1950s vintage a few years ago. If they weren't so ugly those things would still be being made. I absolutely loved it, but I hated the way it made an otherwise beautiful 37 look.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Guess it is all on what he wants to use the gun for. My 870 youth 20 gauge does quite well, and I just added some spacers onto the back of the stock. I have like 5 different chokes. But I just use it for squirrel, rabbit, deer, and close range Coyote. I really do not do any "birding", **** or skeet with it, unless you count turkey as birding, it has got 2 of those.

·
Registered
706 Posts
adjusto looks just like a poly when its on. much lower profile than a cutts.........
this one was on my A5 browning.

adjusto.JPG

·
Registered
147 Posts
A friend has an old Rem 1100 with barrel shortened to 21" and threaded for screw in chokes. Works good.

So for $250, that's like $100 for the machine work and $50 for each choke tube. Doesn't sound too awful bad considering today's prices.

·
Registered
344 Posts
A friend of mine has an old Browning Light Twelve with a Poly Choke. He likes it a lot. I've got an old Stevens Model 77B 12 gauge pump. That's the only thing I've ever had with a Poly Choke.

·
Super Moderator
11,533 Posts
Poly choke is like a little vespa, practical but you don't want to be seen using something that fugly.
:)

Reactions: jerry
1 - 18 of 18 Posts