Polymer80 pistol project build

Discussion in 'Glock' started by ItstheHOFF, Sep 23, 2020.

1. ItstheHOFF

ItstheHOFF G&G Evangelist

3FA391F7-E0F2-4D1F-8E1F-CDB5B5D95B64.jpeg 5A95573D-968B-4B8F-96E4-43A8E52B3407.jpeg 2A9723F6-1D9D-40F3-AD54-0CDCA0D9B527.jpeg A9B9AB3E-A628-4FDC-BE5D-D6E55FB06508.jpeg 6886E507-7626-460E-A1CA-3BFE3F234FCB.jpeg I’m starting my first build with this polymer80 kit. It’s kinda cheating honestly. All the parts are here, everything. The slide is fully assembled already so I don’t even have to do that. Just gotta do a little milling and drilling, then assemble the frame and you have a full pistol. Sent to my door, no FFL. And no serial number ;)
    Wish me luck on my craftsmanship, I hope I don’t mess it up.

blaster, neophyte, Ten Man and 4 others like this.

2. ItstheHOFF

FCD2D129-0FDC-4F24-BFCB-BA887B4299C2.jpeg D52F0901-9618-4208-A763-58D025A9F61D.jpeg D93EBB9D-420A-4A54-A6A4-C276458C4664.jpeg EBF58570-0544-4EB5-9B90-080339A83B23.jpeg The milling took way longer than expected, not a quick job. I have no idea how well I did, but it functions. By no means am I pro at this yet. Also I don’t know if it’s my craftsmanship or just the way the trigger is, but it feels like quite the heavy pull. I’d say it’s around a 8-10 lb break. My buddy pulled out his px4 storm for comparison, and the double action on that was just slightly heavier, which I would have guessed was at 12 lb. Other than that, everything seems fine. I love the way it looks too actually.

blaster, neophyte, Ten Man and 3 others like this.
  3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Hmm, I hope that trigger pull get a wee bit better. Other than that looks and sounds like you are doing okay.

neophyte, Ten Man and TXplt like this.
  4. ItstheHOFF

3A5C225F-AFC3-41F3-989C-81DEF620033E.jpeg 32395C67-9201-4111-9040-5FC32BE554DD.jpeg Forgot to load the fully assembled pics

blaster, neophyte, Ten Man and 5 others like this.
  5. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Is it function testing ok? Cant wait for the range report!

Im interesting in doing one of these myself. Ive seen some really good ones come out and Ive seem some really.... meh ones (and a couple outright disasters).... but so far you seem to be doing pretty well!

Hope you like it!

neophyte, Ten Man, rando and 4 others like this.
  6. ItstheHOFF

Yes it’s passing the function test.

I might sell it, I dunno. If I shoot it and get attached I’ll end up doing tons of changes to it. It has blackout rear sights and I’m not a fan of that. Night sights all the way. It only came with one mag so I’d get some 17 mags and of course happy sticks. Definitely lighten up the trigger pull. There’s so much compatible with it the possibilities are endless. I think it’s just a good idea for a bugout gun. The G19 is the most popular handgun worldwide for years, so there would never be difficulty finding parts for it.

neophyte, ChaZam, TXplt and 1 other person like this.
  7. ItstheHOFF

759270BF-AD28-469A-88D3-D9F45EA038DD.jpeg I started a budget mag button extension project. Just found this piece of plastic laying around the garage and looked like a mag button to me. Shaved it down flush and going to epoxy it to the P80 button. C9EC85A0-F1AE-4A40-9E88-6E8F49AFBBA5.jpeg Trying to duplicate what I put on my G20, but can’t find hardware this tiny so epoxy it is.

neophyte, Ten Man and ChaZam like this.
  8. ChaZam

That's one thing I miss about having local Radio Shack stores. Many of them had a great assortment of tiny nuts, bolts, screws, washers that were suitable for use in many applications besides the electrical trade that they were intended for. At one time we had several of their stores right here in Denton, not no more though...

9. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

YOU CAN'T SELL IT?!?!? Can you? I thought you 'legally' had to keep those?

neophyte, 455rocket and rando like this.
  10. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I was waiting for someone to catch that. I dont think you can sell them even if serial numbered.

neophyte and 455rocket like this.
  11. ChaZam

Well, it depends...
    But it probably doesn't do the OP much good to say so on a public forum shortly after they built it.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.c...ll-or-give-my-homemade-gun-another-person.htm

neophyte, rando and animalspooker like this.
  12. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Looks like that article is from a lawyer? It states you still need to do a FFL transfer and background check. Looks like one of those things where the BATF could still come back at you.

neophyte and Ten Man like this.
  13. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    AFIK, you can build all you want for YOUR OWN USE. Selling them is a BIG BATFE No-No!! That is MANUFACTURING WITHOUT A LICENSE.

neophyte, rando and 455rocket like this.
  14. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    VERY COOL!!!!

I would like to do a few of those myself!

neophyte likes this.
  15. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    I checked ALL of the pistol and AR lower kits, and NONE of them are In Stock!:eek:

Heck of way to do business.:(

neophyte likes this.
  16. ItstheHOFF

Ok so, I’ve thought of a “loop hole,” if you will. Say I bought the kit, got intimidated by the level of craftsmanship required and decided not to screw it up so I just sell it.

Who’s to say whoever I sell it to didn’t build it after I sold it to them??

animalspooker likes this.
  17. ItstheHOFF

I got lucky, the website I bought it from said it was the last 1 in stock! You just can’t pass that up!

neophyte and Ten Man like this.
  18. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

information: for a few $$$’s. No “iron bar” hotel for me :)

quote:
    The Gun Maker's Original Intent
    The key in determining whether a homemade gun can be legally sold or transferred rests with knowing the intent of the maker when the gun was first created. Relevant factors in determining the transferor’s intent may include: the length of time between the creation of the firearm and its transfer; the specific reason for the sale or transfer; and whether the maker of the firearm frequently sells or transfers homemade firearms. For example, a time lapse between creation and sale of many years, a reason for sale that has no sinister overtones, and a transfer that is one-in-a-lifetime for the transferor, would indicate an original intent to keep the gun. By contrast, quickly transferring a gun right after its creation, to someone who could not legally possess a firearm, by someone who regularly transfers such guns, would indicate a lack of intent to keep the gun

Kellen and blaster like this.