Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I finally got down to my local range with my 91/30, ex-sniper. Good Lord was that fun!

As MosinDave asked for some pictures of the rifle in another thread, I've got some below and some of my targets. First pic of my practicing with rented pistols to see what caliber/model I want for carry; this is just for comparison against the rifle target. Most of these were shot at 45 feet or 25 feet with varying rates of fire:

It's hard to tell from this picture (as I intentionally made it lower quality for quick page loading), but the groups are numbered and labeled with a key at the bottom left as to what caliber, model, range and quickness of fire.

Here's my target from today with my 91/30 at about 55-60 feet. I'm not sure, because the range is marked on the walls at 50 feet, then goes back about 10 or so more feet to the burm:

That's 20 rounds... $5 well-spent and only a mildly sore shoulder. ;-) And for reference, I measured the max center-to-center distance for the 15 center rounds to be 4.5" and the 5 neck-shots to be 1 and 3/8". Also, the rounds I was firing were headstamp 21-top, 86-bottom, e.g. Polish 1986, steel core 147.7 grain bullet. (ref: Polish 1986 7.62x54r Steel Core Light Ball)

Now, for MosinDave, the pictures of the rifle itself:

First, a couple shots of the rear:

Now the front:

A top-view of the bolt:

Through-barrel, rear-to-front:

Through-barrel, front-to-rear (bolt was removed, as in previous picture, for safety):

1943, Izzy and C.A.I. marks (Last four digits of C.A.I. S/N intentionally blurred):

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A picture that it didn't allow (as I'm only allowed 10), the receiver with the tell-tale "ex-sniper" welded-in holes:

Sorry it's so blurry, it's the best I can do with the camera, that close.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I love Mosins too, much fun to shoot! That picture of the business end of the barrel is most impressive! great job on the pics and shooting skills too!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Nice Mosin! She's a real beauty just_a_car! Nice shooting as well. Looks like you got a real keeper. I still need to get me either an ex-sniper or a real one. But then again, I still have a 1900 Carl Gustav Swedish Mauser on layaway that needs picking up tomorrow :p ( as well as a trade for an M39 that is still in the works.... my FFL needs to get rid of his rectal-cranial inversion ) So many guns, so little time :D

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Nice looking gun and good shooting. Looks like a keeper there. Have fun....

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Nice Mosin! She's a real beauty just_a_car! Nice shooting as well. Looks like you got a real keeper. I still need to get me either an ex-sniper or a real one. But then again, I still have a 1900 Carl Gustav Swedish Mauser on layaway that needs picking up tomorrow :p ( as well as a trade for an M39 that is still in the works.... my FFL needs to get rid of his rectal-cranial inversion ) So many guns, so little time :D
Just get an 03 FFL. It's pretty easy and really helps on those "great deals" on C&R's (as well as ammo by mail). I have mine on file just about everywhere now...:wall:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, yesterday went back to the range after picking up a rubber slip-on recoil pad.

Shouldering the 91/30, I could feel the soreness from two days prior, shooting off 20 rounds with only my leather jacket and shirt between me and the metal buttplate. After emptying the magazine of the first 5 rounds, I felt my shoulder and it didn't feel any worse, so, on I went with another 15. After that, I went into the lobby to have a drink of diet coke and felt my shoulder... there was almost no soreness! I guess the rubber recoil pad ended up massaging the pain away. I went back and shot another 20 rounds before leaving, due to some rather 'inexperienced' people on the firing line.

If ya like, I can post a pic of the target from yesterday; half of which were standing, the other half sitting with a bench rest. Forgot to mention that the first five of the above picture was standing and that the last 15, including the neck-shots, were sitting with a bench rest.

Even though It's only my second day out with it, I had two people at the range ask me about it. *grin*

Only gun louder than me at the range was an SKS that arrived at my 'half-time'. Unfortunately, he was one of the 'inexperienced' people I mentioned.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
What do you mean, "if ya like..."

So, yesterday went back to the range after picking up a rubber slip-on recoil pad.

Shouldering the 91/30, I could feel the soreness from two days prior, shooting off 20 rounds with only my leather jacket and shirt between me and the metal buttplate. After emptying the magazine of the first 5 rounds, I felt my shoulder and it didn't feel any worse, so, on I went with another 15. After that, I went into the lobby to have a drink of diet coke and felt my shoulder... there was almost no soreness! I guess the rubber recoil pad ended up massaging the pain away. I went back and shot another 20 rounds before leaving, due to some rather 'inexperienced' people on the firing line.

If ya like, I can post a pic of the target from yesterday; half of which were standing, the other half sitting with a bench rest. Forgot to mention that the first five of the above picture was standing and that the last 15, including the neck-shots, were sitting with a bench rest.

Even though It's only my second day out with it, I had two people at the range ask me about it. *grin*

Only gun louder than me at the range was an SKS that arrived at my 'half-time'. Unfortunately, he was one of the 'inexperienced' people I mentioned.
Just post the dern thing. Of course we'd like to see it. And more pics of your Mosin, and pics of your other guns, and of your lady's smiling face and your dogs....you get the idea; we like pics. :approve:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, if you absolutely have to make more noise than everyone else you should buy an M44. It will make that Sks sound like a pea shooter!! :D Hey, it's an excuse to buy another Mosin!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, if you absolutely have to make more noise than everyone else you should buy an M44. It will make that Sks sound like a pea shooter!! :D Hey, it's an excuse to buy another Mosin!
Hmm, and they call it an M44 eh? Well now, might have to get one of those little firecrackers!!!!! (I've got a neighbor that says shooting is "nothing more than a loud niusance." Due to that, I've made it my business to become the loudest dadgum nuisance in this county!!!!)

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
Just get an 03 FFL. It's pretty easy and really helps on those "great deals" on C&R's (as well as ammo by mail). I have mine on file just about everywhere now...:wall:
me too one of the smartest things ive done!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just post the dern thing. Of course we'd like to see it. And more pics of your Mosin, and pics of your other guns, and of your lady's smiling face and your dogs....you get the idea; we like pics. :approve:

Actually Troy2000, that Mosin is my first owned firearm, no other guns; no lady, as of current, and my dog died when I was 15. Soooo... yeah, I'll get that pic of my newest target up post-haste. ;-)

Too true, yet I'm not that worried about makin' more noise. His SKS sounded more like a loud bang, while my Mosin was a deep *THRUM!*, the kind of sound that gives ya warm-fuzzies. ;-p

thats a beauty of a rifle you have there
Thank you, sir! Unfortunately, the other ex-sniper I have on order isn't nearly in as good of a shape, at least not the stock; the laquer is flaking off all over. I'm going to hit the stock with some organic solvent to "melt" the laquer back on, at least, what's left of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like a really good find! You even got one that has the original sniper stock with the wrist bolt and modified butt. All you need now is to notch out the splice where the scope used to be.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like a really good find! You even got one that has the original sniper stock with the wrist bolt and modified butt. All you need now is to notch out the splice where the scope used to be.
I appreciate the compliments.

It's a dream to shoot with a nice LimbSaver rubber recoil pad. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "wrist bolt" and "modified butt", unless you're talking about the bent bolt (which this doesn't have) and the area on the stock that has the splice. Also, if this had a bent bolt on the sniper model, I would've expected the stock to have a small notch to accommodate the bent bolt, but doesn't. I've wondered about that ever since buying it, as the stock obviously was for a sniper model, with the spliced notch around the mounting area.

I actually don't intend on modifying this rifle beyond possibly installing a rear-sight-mounted scope. It's shooting nicely as is and I don't want to go messing with that, plus the stock is gorgeous. I'm not going to jeapordize the finish on the stock for something that's unnecessary. Also, until I start going to a range that goes further than 25 yards, I don't need anything better than the iron sights, which I'm getting dead-center bulls-eyes with already and groups of 1.5" at 25 yards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
very pretty gun mine is as nice as for the shoulder pain ive fired nearly 150 rounds through mine and figured this out within the first 5 when you shoulder that weapon pull it in tight the recoil is almost non existant but if its loose on your shoulder WOW.i love my nagant i have a 91/30 and its bark is bearable my buddy has the m44 version all i can say is this huh have fun be safe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts