Portable Shooting Bench

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Palladin8, May 17, 2008.

1. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Any one have a portable bench that they would recommened? I am looking for one but all the ones I see are to short to where I can't put my rifle rest on or they are very flimsy. I have thought about building one but I thought I would ask you guys if you had one that you liked.

Thanks in advance

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    there are some options on the market, but this one (on the right) is what i like. its sturdy, and spins 360degrees. start building.

Attached Files:

3. It's a little on the pricey side as far as I'm concerned. But if I got one, I'd spend the money on it and get this one, pricey or not. There are many out there to choose from.

The ones LeftyO uses that he has pictures I'm sure work very well. It all depends on just what you want out of a bench?

I like the RCBS R.A.S.S. mainly because you can maneuver it up or down left or right without changing a thing. Without changing the positioning of the rifle itself. It stays where you put it from the moment you put it in and you simply adjust the bench for each shot. Has a pretty decent range of movement also.

Here's a youtube.com video on it.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=984rQxDBgAs]YouTube - The R.A.S.S. (Rapid Acquisition Shooting System) Bench[/ame]

4. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

I needed one in a hurry, so I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood in a fat L shape, and screwed a piece of 2x2 to the bottom. I just clamp that 2x2 in my Black & Decker Workmate and use a folding captain style lawn chair to sit in. Works just fine. Also cut a few U shaped notches in it to rest the gun barrel in so they don't tip over.

Ron

5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Hey now! That's pretty nifty.

6. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

LeftyO That looks great.
    did you build that yourself? If you don't mind me asking what materials did you use to build it.

GlockMeister that one looks nice as well but i'm not sure i'm ready to spend that much on one just yet.

7. Yea, it is on the pricey side.

If you're going to build one, I do have a helpful suggestion. If you can find a decent used student desk, you'll have a good base to work with and only need to make a few changes and possible mount a new chair/seat so an adult would fit.Maybe just removing the back rest on the existing seat might work? But a student desk is about already half way there. lol Either way, good luck.

8. deadman03

deadman03 G&G Addict

nc
    i made my own portable shooting bench. it was a trailer to put sweet corn in, but when i got it all that was left was the frame. from there my dad and I welded angle iron onto that, put some 2x6s around the edge, then i nailed to plywood onto the 2x6s. it works pretty good, it could be a little more sturdy, but right now its light enough for me to move without much trouble.

ps. for the seat, i just welded that piece of metal onto the frame and bolted that seat onto it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  9. Billyz

Billyz G&G Newbie

Weighs 80 lbs. Not all that portable.

10. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Now, THAT is cool! I'd want to put jacks on the corners to stabilize it more, but that'd be great hitched on the back of my Jeep! Ima savin' that photo, hope ya don't mind.....

I can think of a lot of variations on that, but just the basic idea is great! You could build on storage and tool boxes, for example.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I commonly use my wifes head,but lately she has been complaining about headaches.I wonder if I should use lighter rifles and handguns,and maybe not drop them in place.Still,she is portable,even with all of the complaints. sam.

12. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

GlockMeister, Thanks for the website. The Hyskore one is in my price range for sure and I am looking at that one closer.

I also looked online and came across this site. Ron I think this might be like something you did. This site has the plans so maybe i'll go this route. Who knows. I'll keep you all posted on it.

http://www.boogerbench.com/

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  13. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Homemade target shooting table

My nephew in Marion, KS, made the target shooting table shown below with simple items to find. Total cost of all materials were $25.00.
    They included:
    -drop leaf hinges for easier carrying and storage
    -plywood (A cutout was made in the plywood top for a hand grip hole when carrying the table)
    Then he cut out a portion of the plywood top to allow the body of the shooter to move into a natural position behind the rifle when aiming.
    The front gun support was made from a farm implement disc welded to a shaft with a worm gear which allowed it to raise or lower easily. The barrel was supported by a padded piece of leather.
    The rear stock support was shaped to cause the rifle to raise or lower by sliding it forward or backward.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  14. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    palladin, no i did not build it.

15. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

Thanks for the initial question P8, and the many good recommendations for a shooting bench.

I've gotta get one for myself, because shooting over the hood of my truck or roof of my car aren't the right answers anymore...

16. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I was just at Sportsman's Warehouse up in St George and they had that RCBS RSS on display. That is a pretty tricked out set up but it really doesn't look that portable. They also had one that was similar to the one I posted earlier but was not ambidextrous. I think I will just try and build one and see how it turns out.

17. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Actually I use a foldout bench made by caldwell I think,but I see it is listed as a San Angelo.Still $99.99.I put wheels on the front legs to move it without folding it up.It weighs 35lbs so the wheels really help.I drilled through the shaft and have snap pins in them so I can remove the wheels for folding.the front legs just clear the ground.The table is real solid.I do use a mechanical device or sandbags as I didnt like their system for a rest. sam.

18. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Does anybody else like the idea of a small trailer built up as a shooting bench, with storage boxes, cooler & etc.? Or am I just doing my usual pipedream overkill? I think it would be great, based on the shooting places I have available to me, even at my gun club's range. Pull in, lay down a big blue tarp to catch the brass, roll the trailer onto the tarp and set the jacks, and get after it! I think it's a great idea, but I don't have a place to keep a trailer.