close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

positive ending for teen abducted by her teacher

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SUBMOA, Apr 21, 2017 at 11:01 AM.

1. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I had watched this story from the beginning. I had been traveling through Tennessee that day and their DOT had message bill boards reading to be on the lookout for them. The story didn't receive the national attention it deserved. 50 year old male teacher abducted 14 year old female student. They finally found her safe and got her home. I can not imagine the distress the parents went through.
    http://ktla.com/2017/04/20/missing-...ound-in-northern-california-suspect-arrested/

Rocky7, PAPA G and grizcty like this.
  2. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Glad that she is now safe.

PAPA G and SUBMOA like this.

3. It got a bit of national coverage, but what with one thing and another, after the Walmart sighting, I never heard another word until yesterday when she was found, which is a shame. She might have been home sooner and with less risk of mental trauma.

It will take time, but I have a feeling she'll come through it pretty well. I heard her dad say something very wise yesterday. They're going to give her the time and help it takes to work through this.

PAPA G and SUBMOA like this.
  4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

From the article...
    "But state law allows children older than 12 to decide whether to leave their families, unless their removal or confinement “is accomplished by force, threat or fraud.”

That means to prove a kidnapping took place, prosecutors will have to show Elizabeth was unlawfully removed or had her freedom restricted".

What the HAY! I never heard of such a law. I wonder what the laws background is, and why? :mad:

SUBMOA likes this.
  5. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

It probably goes all the way back to the 1860s war effort or something. There's no telling.

SUBMOA and PAPA G like this.
  6. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    Prolly goes back to when girls were marrying at 12.

PAPA G likes this.
  7. PaleHawkDown

Instead of just getting knocked up.

Felix's Tattoo and animalspooker like this.
  8. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum Forum Contributor

Lookin at where they left, and where they ended up pretty much right near up on the Oregon state line. I would say that the teacher was tryin to make Alaska.
    They were in a pretty remote area of California.

SUBMOA likes this.
  9. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

In Great Britain in the 1850s, the age of consent was 12 years old. No lie. One of the more bizarre things believed by many people at that time was that having intercourse with a virgin would cure syphilis. Lots of impoverished virgin girls had their virginity taken by rich syphilitic men; they were known to pay up to 150 pounds sterling to get a genuine "fresh." And the way the madams of the time convinced the roues of the time the girl was in fact a fresh, was to get one just past the age of consent. If you need eye bleach to wash away the disgusting image of some fat old lecher porking a barely pubescent girl, you're not alone.

Even with the Victorian mania for keeping statistics on society, there does not seem to be any record of how many of these poor, mostly country, girls were infected as a result. (Salvarsan, Dr. Erlich's "magic bullet" against syphilis, was half a century away.)

Laws are always behind the times. But perhaps Kaintucky needs to revisit this one and drag it kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. Or at least the latter half of the 20th.

SUBMOA, animalspooker and PAPA G like this.
  10. PAPA G

NO, NEGATIVE, NOT KENTUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::rolleyes:

It is Tennessee our neighbor to the south!

SUBMOA likes this.
  11. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

My apologies. But lots of states need to go over their book of laws and update or repeal the stuff that is not applicable to modern times. In the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York, going over the law books won't cut it. Our laws urgently need an enema, starting with the UnSAFE Act!

SUBMOA and PAPA G like this.
  12. North Carolina has a truck load of outdated, silly or just plain dumb and out of date laws still on the books. But if somebody decides to plow a cotton field with an elephant, we've got a law against it!

SUBMOA, PAPA G and rando like this.
  13. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Yeah its crazy how many laws are out there and outdated or senseless now these days. Some didn't make sense in the first place. I still am amazed at our speed limits where I live and they are the same as back when.

SUBMOA, PAPA G and ncnascarlady like this.
  14. PaleHawkDown

Just once, before I die, I want to take advantage of an old Birmingham law on the books.

It states that you can drive your carriage the wrong way down a one-way street as long as a servant walks in front of you with a lantern.

Half of downtown is one-ways. I COULD CAUSE CHAOS. MUAHAHAHAHA.

TNPIRATE, Cyrano, SUBMOA and 2 others like this.
  15. SUBMOA

You may think that the law makes completely no sense , but I have seen parents so unworthy of their children, that by having a law where they can choose to leave the family makes a better life for the kid. My ex son in law was a perfect example. Parents especially the father, was a drunk , drug abuser. Mother not much better. At 13 he left his family to live +work as a ranch hand with a local rancher. He didn't get paid next to nothing but roof over head and food. When he left he owed money to the rancher. The parents other son , they introduced him to meth. So if the kids are in a abusive house this law may give them a way out other than child services getting them out. A sad world we live in sometimes.

TNPIRATE, Jaison, rando and 2 others like this.
  16. PAPA G

I would like to see that law. How it should be applied, who created it etc. That sentence I posted is just stuff to garner attention by the media.

SUBMOA likes this.
  17. SUBMOA

In today's society, doing something like that may be perfectly legal but could also be hazardous to your well being. Humorous thought yes . Applying it bad idea.

PAPA G likes this.
  18. PaleHawkDown

Short Story: I once knew a very fun, very ornery, old man who still had all his marbles, but was a master at making it seem like he didn't at just the right time.
    He was also charming as the devil.
    I vowed at a very young age that that's what I wanted to be when I hit that age - a charming agent of chaos, totally without fear.

Cyrano, TNPIRATE, PAPA G and 3 others like this.
  19. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Makes sense to me. If she came willingly, no kidnapping was involved. If she didn't want to go with him, then it's kidnapping.

PAPA G likes this.
  20. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum Forum Contributor

I'm your huckleberry:D I'll carry the lantern, as long as it is in period clothing:D

SUBMOA and PaleHawkDown like this.