close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Possible New Mak Owner With Questionss

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dallas, Aug 3, 2002.

1. I've been thinking of buying a relatively cheap semi for plinking. Can someone please help me by answering a few questions.

1 Reading over the previous threads it sounds like an East German mak is the way to go. Is there a particular country or time frame (of manufacture) I should avoid?

2 What kind of prices should I expect? New? Used?

3 What kind of accuracy can I expect?

4 How mechanically reliable is the pistol?

Well that's enough questions for now. thanks to all for the input.

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The Makarov, of course, is a Russian gun. It was made in many countries. The East German pistols look the best, but are very scarce. Bulgarian Maks are almost as good and much more common and cheaper. Russian Maks are decent, but rare and many have seen heavy use. Be careful about buying other surplus guns chambered in 9mm Mak. The Czechs made a good quality version of the Walther PP in the caliber, but the Hungarian Pa-63 has many problems. 9mm Makarov ammo is also called 9x18. It is between the 9x17 (.380 ACP) and 9x19 (Parabellum) ammo in power.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2002

3. GARY D

GARY D G&G Newbie

I have a Russian Mak 8 years old and it is one of the best pistols I have ever owned. Never had a misfire, hang up, malfunction of any kind. The quality of the fit and finish is outstanding. Accuracy is great and I have never had to adjust the sights. Only modifiaction I did was install a set of Pearce grips. Gun came with holster, lanyard, 2 magazines and cleaning rod for $149.00. Of the 20 or so handguns I own, it is my favorite. Good luck finding one though.:(

4. Expect to pay around 200.00 for an East German. That should include a holster and two mags. They are very reliable. The sights aren't the best, but out to 15-20 yards, with some practice, you'll hit what your aiming at. I've heard different stories about the Bulgarians, some good, some not so good. If you want a new Mak it will be a Bulgarian, all the rest are used. Some of the Bulgarian owners can sound off on their weapons. I own two EG's and have never had a problem.

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

The East German Makarov's are very good weapons. I had one that failed to strike the primer hard enough, but I just replaced the mainspring with a Russian one and have not had one problem since. I own 2 of each (E.German, Russian, Chinese, and Bulgarian) and have not noticed a difference in performance/accuracy sufficient to recommend one over the other. I have one Russian that has over 14,000 rounds through it and it shoots better than when I got it 11 years ago.
    If you find any Makarov, it'll serve you well. They are getting a little harder to get these days. They make great carry guns. Some people change the grips on them, but I use what came on mine. It's a personal decision. The good thing about reloading ammo for them is you can use regular 9mm brass to make Makarov brass. Trim the brass back 1mm, and resize as usual. Though I don't recommend it, I have loaded some very hot loads through mine before and got some loads into the 9x19 territory. They can be brutal, but the Makarov's take it in stride. When your brass starts slinging into the next zip code, change the recoil spring. You can get them from www.wolffgunsprings.com. Good luck.....

6. I had an East German given to me in trade for some work I did about 5 years ago.

It's amazingly accurate and I've had no mechanical issues with it.

The slide did, however, come off one day during a fire. There were no injuries and no damage done to the gun.

At first I thought it was a mechanical failure but then I realized it was because of my modified 'cup and saucer' grip with my left hand and fingers wrapped around my right hand which caused the trigger guard to pull down on recoil.

I like to use it as a carry concealed because of it's weight and size.

It's one gun that gives me confidence and I hit what I aim at with it.

So, Mak is a wise decision....fer sure.

7. Answers :
    • 1) I have Makarovs from every country that made them. The DDR Maks are the Best looking, but I have an Arsenal commerical Buligarian that shoots the best. My Type 59 Chinese is boxed and unfired so I cannot know how it shoots. In my estimation, any Makarov will do the job since the design, materials, and manufacturing methods were standardized by the Soviets for the entire Warsaw Pact. :nod:

2) This is from GUNS AMERICA.

I paid $189/ea for my DDR maks.

3) It is not supposed to be a 25yd gun, but the above mentioned Bulgie will do 2.5in groups at that range. The original PM manual says the the 9x18MAK round remains lethal out to 350 meters with a most effective range of 50 meters. The rate of fire is 30 rounds per minute.

4) All my Pistolet Makarovas are reliable to a fault. I prefer to refer to them as the Glocks of the Eastern Bloc!!!!!!

Now go and do the right thing and buy that Pistolet Makarova, Comrade!!!!! :target:

8. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    It's the Ak47 of Pistols.