close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Powder Storage

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by bsam4me, Jun 6, 2002.

1. bsam4me

bsam4me G&G Newbie

Texas
    sorta new to the reloading hobby and it occured to me that I might need to find a new place to store powder and primers. I'm in a fairly hot climate (100+) in the summer and now have primers and powder stored in seperate containers (rubber maid type tubs) in a cabinet in my shop. Not much air circulation in cabinet and temps could easily get over 100... what do you think? should I move them to a refridgerator??

2. No - not a refrigerator. Moisture will condense on them as soon as you take them out and open them (unless you live in a DRY climate like AZ or NM!). This will cause more possible damage to primers than powder, perhaps. I choose to keep limited amounts around so I can store it indoors where it is fairly cool & dry. Remember that smokeless powder is very flammable. Stor both out of the reach of kids.

3. I live in south texas and I know how warm it gets in the summer. I agree with fred keep it in an air conditioned enviroment and for extra protection use dessicant bags to keep moisture out.

4. tonto

tonto G&G Newbie

I live in humid florida and most all my powder and primers is stored in garage, hot out there but never had a missfire, I buy my primers by the box. I do store primers in a rubbermaid box and powder well, they're just up on the bench. No problems yet, been doing it this a way since 1988. Now that you brought it up I think i will move everything to the safety of the closet or in my gun vault.

5. During my reloading years I kept my powder and primers in an unplugged large freezer and that worked quite well and never had a problem.

Paul

6. Michael M

Michael M G&G Newbie

I store 6-8 one pound cans myself. I picked up an ice chest on sale, 48 qts, for about $10.00. Add a bag of desicant, and you're safe and dry, even in humid Houston. A separate chest holds the primers. I keep them apart in closets away from the electrical service in my apartment. Did have a fire a couple of years ago, and it was the circuit breaker box that started things off. Plenty of smoke and water, but no damage to ammo, guns, or components, as they were on the other side of the place. So now I make sure that there is nothing too close that could start things off!

7. I have a separate small gun safe with a golden rod installed in it to store my powders and my primers are stored in a cabinet separate from the powder. Remember never store your powder and primers in the same place. Both are in an airconditioned reloading room. I hope this helps in some way.

Load More To Shoot More Often

8. carl

carl G&G Newbie

first do not store propellants or primers in plastic tubs as they are seceptable to static charge which can cause ignition, do not store themin ammo cans either.
    keep them in an air conditioned environment, a cheap way to meet most municipal storage codes is to do this make a powder magazine.
    find an old refrigerator remove the refrigeration components. line the inside with 3/4 in plywood. this will suffice in case there is an ignition as not to burst under explosion but will bulge causing a burn instead. if you are in most cities they limit the amount of propellant that may safely be stored at any one time, and if reqired it will serve as a discount on insurance premiums.