Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have this Marlin Model 336 octagonal barrel .30-30 cal lever action (not brand new but in amazing shape), and I'm wondering if it would work for prairie dog hunting in south Dakota (most likely to be windy, and probably "longer" range shots) ?

don't use it much, so i thought maybe this summer for our prairie dog trip i could use it.

thanks for help

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
take it along and try it ! what th hey?

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
That wouldn't be the ideal long range varmint gun.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
You will have to belly craw to get within a 100 to 150 yards with yore 30/30. Have fun and I wish I could be there. Good Luck ! A.H

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
oh i dunno 22-250? i defer to our gun expert 338s expert type knowledge .338 you have the floor sir.

i tried it with my AK . it didnt work so good.:09:

·
Registered
740 Posts
You will have to belly craw to get within a 100 to 150 yards with yore 30/30. Have fun and I wish I could be there. Good Luck ! A.H
Prairie dogs must be skiddish.

Ive only been out West two times and I was surprised how little of them there are. Lotsa activity near Shiprock NM. Most farmers and ranchers seemed to have them well under control.

We have lotsa tree squirrels in the East but they can be hunted at 35 feet with 22LR. I wish we had prairie dogs in the East so I could use my Stevens .223 with the 6.5-20x-44AO scope. There is no small game in the East that you hunt long distance.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I know 22-250's work great on groundhog, so I'm guessing they work just as well on a prairie dog. If you're forced to buy a gun, you might want to go with a .223 since the ammo is cheaper, or even a .243 and make it more of multipurpose gun. But if you have a 22-250, you're already ahead of the game :)

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Zen900 says; Prairie dogs must be skiddish

Man I would be too, if everytime I stuck my head out of a hole, someone was trying to blow it off. Ha ha ha ha lol lol lol. I couldn't resist this one.
lol... Thanks Zen I needed a good laugh, I hope you didn't mind me useing that phrase. A.H

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
.223 or 22-250 would be good choices. my average shot at P.D.'s is around 250yds, so your 30-30 would be a very poor choice. if you get on some decent dog towns, figure on burning 500rnds a day.

·
Registered
740 Posts
.223 or 22-250 would be good choices. my average shot at P.D.'s is around 250yds, so your 30-30 would be a very poor choice. if you get on some decent dog towns, figure on burning 500rnds a day.
Jesus! If you were using a 4 shot bolt .223 that means reloading 125 times.

You're in Minnesota? I didn't realize Minneapolis had PDs.Never realized PDs were that far North and East. Land of the Lakes?

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
no, we dont. i go out of state to shoot P.D.'s. ive got a few days in june planned to head to south dakota and kill piles of those cute little critters.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Thats actually not unusual. My family used to host the Deomcratic big whigs to hunt quail and shoot PD's. But, when I hit 10, I got a .243, and the PD's magically disappeared.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Profound.
Whats the big deal about going out of state to hunt PD,s,I live further east than Lefty O and about 4 others and myself go across several states about 3or4 times a year to shoot up 1500 to 2500rds apiece,spend a lot of money and have fun.I know several others that do the same.I personally never take less than four rifles and some handguns.Never tried a shotgun but I may.Its a big blast.I am 67 and retired.What else would I do?I shoot competition some but that is expensive too.I just have fun. samuel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts