close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pre-Ban or Post-Ban

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JimAR, Mar 22, 2002.

1. JimAR

JimAR G&G Newbie

Hi guys, I was wondewring if you could enlighten me as to if a Pre-Ban SKS exists or were all SKS's imported as Post-Ban. I bought three (two Russians and a Chinese) back in 94 and was wondering if a person could tell by the serial # and importer if the guns were Pre-Ban or not. Thanks -JimAR

2. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    I think some had a date stamped on the receiver, that should tell you when it was imported. If not, you might have to do alittle more research about your gun. I am not sure if there is a way to tell just by looking at it, bayonet lug for example.

3. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

If you bought it prior to Sep. 13,1994 and it had some evil features on it it could be grand-fathered in as an existing assault rifle.
    Proving/disproving existing features is the grey area.GL

4. Armorer

Armorer Guest

SKS is a carbine NOT an assult rifle.

If you wish to **** and moan. The assult rifle class is defined by it's selector switch. AUTO/SINGLE/SAFE. I'm betting yours isn't like that.

I doupt very few on this board have even seen a real assult rifle. Yes I know you FTA, back to the worlders have.

My personal pet peeve is this cluster of wannabe warsaw pact firearms.

The only thing you will get me to agree with is that YOU have the right to own them.

"This is My rifle, this is my gun...
    This is for killing, this is for fun"

5. Sutro

Sutro G&G Newbie

Oh, get a grip, Armoror. The war is over. Anyway, this is a legal question & should be responded to as such.

Wish I could remember where I found this info - but anyway it's on the 'net. For reasons that make absolutely no sense at all, the Feds consider only Russian SKS's to be pre-ban. With all others, you can get busted for folding stocks, detachable hi-cap mags, etc., although I don't know that the law's actually ever been enforced.

You can legally trick out a Russian SKS with a put folding stock and detachable hi-cap mags, but it'd be a shame to do so.

6. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

If the gun had the features before 89, it's legal. If it has 10 or less listed imported parts and its features before 1994, it's legal. If it is a Russian, Romanian, Yugoslav, or East German, it can have a bayonet since it's seen as part of its Curio&Relic status. Yugo 59/66s can keep their grenade launcher. E German can keep their night sites. Any other addition of restricted features is illegal.
    Restricted features are NOT:
    Scope and mounts
    Conventional stock of any manufacture
    Muzzle brakes that DO NOT also work as flash hiders
    Laser sites
    Slings
    Replacement parts

7. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Remember the grandfather clause,two or more evil features prior to Sep.13th,1994 on a semi-auto rifle.:nod: :nod: :nod: :D