close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pre- v. Post-ban?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by texas4x4, Aug 15, 2002.

1. I'm new to this forum and I've always been told the dumbest question is the one not asked so, here we go:

What is the difference between pre- and post-ban AR/XM's?:confused:

Thanks in advanced

2. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

One was made b4 1994 and the other was made post 1994. A pre ban weapon can have all the bells and whistles with exception of a barrel under 16". I think that was what you are asking....... If not, let me know. I'll go further in depth.

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

First, here's what THE BAN does:
    It criminalizes MANUFACTURE of guns WITH CERTAIN FEATURES and ALL MAGAZINES OVER 10 ROUNDS (except for fixed tubular devices using only 22 rimfire).
    It lists certain guns to be banned by name. The consequence is that the companies change the name of their guns along with removing the restricted features.

Here are the features:
    A SEMI-AUTO RIFLE that uses a DETACHABLE MAGAZINE can only have one out of five listed features:
    1. Flash suppressor
    2. Bayonet mount/lug
    3. Pistol grip (thumbhole and Monte Carlo stocks don't count)
    4. Folding stock (since folding stocks require a P-grip, this effectively bans folding stocks)
    5. Grenade launcher

There's a separate list for semi-auto shotguns and semi-auto pistols, but since you asked this on the AR forum I'll leave it at that.

It is ILLEGAL for anyone to add such features after 1994. It is 100% legal to buy, sell, or accessorize a rifle that would be illegal to manufacture now, unless your state or locality are gay. It is legal to use a pre-ban hi-cap mag in a post ban gun, which some people don't realize.

This does not apply to the AR, but there is ANOTHER ban in '89 that discriminates against rifles with a certain number of listed imported parts.

Oh yes, and in '86 there was a ban of all manufacture of full auto stuff for civilians. Same rule, you can have it if it was made before the ban, but that's an NFA weapon situation that I'm not gonna touch.

4. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

That's what I would have elaborated on. Yeppers.... Well said Battlerifle. You are becoming wise in the ways my brother!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2002
  5. Thanks for the infor fellas. I also did a little research. So, as I understand it, there are mods I cannot do to my post-ban AR which could be done the pre? Certain design changes?

6. polarisgod

polarisgod G&G Newbie

Actually, the only things you're missing out on with a post-ban are collapsable stock and bayonet lug. So if you REALLY want to do that drive-by stabbing, I suggest some duct-tape!! Oh yeah, and you'll also have a pressed-on or welded-on "muzzle brake" instead of a screwed-on "flash hider". I'd say buy a nicely-outfitted post-ban, and save a bundle!!!! Shop around,because some places outfit their AR's very well from the factory,others don't, you really have alot of options nowadays. It seems like EVERYBODY is making AR's and AR accessories!!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2002
  7. I could, conceivably, however, add a collapsable stock or a new upper/barrel, right? It's just the way they're sold?

8. polarisgod

polarisgod G&G Newbie

Well, my motto is "nothing is illegal unless youare caught"!! But seriouslly, the manufacturers themselves don't know for sure when their prebans became postbans (serial # wise). And I'd bet most anyone else (police included) will know wether or not it's pre or post!!

9. polarisgod

polarisgod G&G Newbie

The key is not to go and be stupid and attract unwanted attention!! Like shooting where and when you are'nt supposed to, showing off to your neighbors,co-workers,and such!! But really, I'd almost consider a "collapsable" stock, an "adjustable" stock,because all it does is shorten it up about half size. It does'nt fold completely out of the way, like my factory folder mini-14's.

10. polarisgod

polarisgod G&G Newbie

But the answer to your question I belive is NO, you can't "legally" attach a "collapsable" stock to a postban gun,even though they do fit.

11. I'm not sure if it's considered "collapsable" in the traditional sense, but I was thinking of adding one of those telescoping stocks to my post to help my wife out.

12. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

You can get different length stocks, but telescoping and folding stocks are out.

13. Interesting.... so I'm better off looking for a stubby stock, huh? That blows cuz the existing stock is fine for me. She actually shoots well in its existing configuration. Perhaps I'll leave it alone.

Again, thanks for the info.

14. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

As much as I hate it the BATF gives us few options.. They are as follows: detatchable mag, bayonette lug, flash supressor (you can lawfully get away with a muzzle break though) and pistol grip (Dragonov style is OK. You see this on the Mac90).

Let me rephrase. BATF allows you a a choice of two of the above. Unless you put a $200+ BATF stamp on the gun, you cannot have more than two of the above options.

As for the statement regarding "can a cop tell the manufacture date of your gun...." The answer is basically "NO." But are you willing to gamble on it? Use your head.

15. BattleRifleG3

In response to the last post, that's not exactly how it works. Detachable magazine activates the ban, and you're allowed one listed feature on top. Refer to my previous post. As far as modifying pre-bans, it's a little hairy. If the rifle had two or more listed features before the ban, can you add more? The exact wording of THE BAN says that any such weapon lawfully posessed prior to the magic date is OK. The big question is, does adding a new stock constitute manufacturing a new weapon? In my technical opinion, no. But BATF gets pretty silly and arbitrary about these things. Like in one letter they said that adding a PSG-1 style grip to an SAR-8 constitutes manufacturing a PSG-1!!! I almost lost my lunch over that. If you know what those two rifles are, you know what I mean. I don't think that opinion would stand if ever challenged. But adding a collapsible stock to an AR... Not sure.
    Here's an idea: If you want to configure it for your wife, you could fasten the stock in whatever position is right for her. You can always switch the stock for another one. And that could be done to a post as well as pre-ban.

Oh, one more thing about THE BAN:
    It will expire in 2004 if not renewed. So don't spend all your money on pre-bans, because they may suddenly drop in value.

16. "Oh, one more thing about THE BAN:
    It will expire in 2004 if not renewed. So don't spend all your money on pre-bans, because they may suddenly drop in value."

So.... with Dubya in office, is that something which is likely to not be renewed? Not forgetting, we still have the lefty Senate to deal with).

What's the expiration really mean to us?

17. BattleRifleG3

It means cross your fingers.
    I brought it up to a guy at a gun show, he said "Shhh, maybe they'll forget about it."
    Basically, it WILL expire unless it is actively renewed. The way to tell is when those "evil" weapons end up back on the market.

18. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Man I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Just the principle of the matter ticks me off.

19. Yup, there is something majorly wrong with the demonization of an inanimate object such as a firearm.

20. If you think firearm regulations are going to lighten up--wrong. Pre ban pricing-- it will get higher. What makes you think that the govt. is going to just forget the expiration date. This is their agenda. Outlaw weapons .

Last edited: Aug 20, 2002