Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok...guys...help me find more on the story about President Bush receiving a new $14,000 shotgun as a gift during this past year. The news story I read didn't say what type of gun...or anything more than that Bush declared the Gun for Tax purposes. I think it would be of interest on G&G to have the full details about the gun. :hmmm: :nod:

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok guys. Found the story. Here's what was printed in the Kansas City Star. I tried to post the URL...but when I did the link opned up to say that I needed to fill out a free application to receive the Star's news article. Forget doing that...here's the story:
Ox
---------

Posted on Sat, May. 14, 2005

Bush, Cheney disclose financial assets

Gifts to each other among the items listed in '04 filings

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — A $14,000 shotgun, a $2,700 mountain bike and five fishing rods were among $26,346 in gifts that President Bush accepted last year, according to his financial disclosure form.

The document, released Friday, also listed millions of dollars the president invested in U.S. Treasury notes and certificates of deposit.

The annual disclosures, required by law, offered a glimpse into the president's wealth and that of Vice President Dick Cheney — and what they gave each other for Christmas.

Cheney spent $170 more than Bush did on him. Cheney gave Bush a $595 clock that the president keeps on his desk in the Oval Office. Bush gave Cheney a $425 globe on a wooden stand.

Because federal law allows them to list the values of their assets in wide ranges, rather than precise numbers, it is difficult to discern whether the two are wealthier than they were a year ago.

The disclosure said that Bush's 1,583-acre ranch was worth between $1 million and $5 million. The president reported having at least $4.95 million in Treasury notes, $750,000 in certificates of deposit and
$217,000 in checking and money-market accounts.

Bush owns the mineral rights valued at up to $15,000 on property in Reeves County, Texas. He also owns a tree farm, which is not expected to have commercial sales until 2007. Its current value is just less than $600,000.

Bush received the shotgun from Roy E. Weatherby Jr., head of a firearms company based in Atascadero, Calif.

There is no limit on the size of gifts a president can receive from a U.S. citizen, but federal law requires the chief executive to declare them if they are valued at $285 or more, White House deputy press secretary Dana Perino said. Multiple gifts from the same donor must be listed if their total value exceeds $285. Gifts from foreign officials must be turned over to the National Archives.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well.....even if nobody else seems to be interested in seeing Bush's new shotgun...I think it would be something to hear about here on G&G. I've seen rare guns like that over at Cabela's...and in the same price range.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Local dealer has a schutzen rifle from germany. Its beautiful; needs a good cleaning, but is truely a work of art. $6500 and it can be yours.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only $6,500? With that kind of dough I might be able to buy 35 guns...but probably not in the quality category of President Bush's new shotgun. :nod: :cool:

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I'm not into the old flintlock type rifles but they can be beautiful, especially with all the engraving.

I saw a reenactment today and they said the springfields had 350 yd ranges to them!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Oxford said:
Bush received the shotgun from Roy E. Weatherby Jr., head of a firearms company based in Atascadero, Calif.
At first, I thought I was onto something:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/news/article/0,19912,696240-4,00.html
OL: Are you a gun owner? If so, what is your favorite gun?
Bush: Yes. My favorite gun is a Weatherby, Athena 20-gauge (over/under).

But then...
http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/14/pf/goodlife/candidates_toys/
The president is the proud owner of a Weatherby Athena, worth about $2,000.

Apparently Roy gets along well with the Bushes:

http://www.weatherby.com/about/history.asp
[photo] Ed Weatherby presents former President George Bush with the first U.S.-produced Custom Mark V rifle at his home in Kennebunkport, Maine.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that's some fine research you did ShooMac. So now I'm wondering if George Bush's gift is a brand spanking new Weatherby Athena, Circa 2004? :hmmm: I'm not familiar with that gun...but most likely it's a 12 gage SG, possibly an over/under.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts