Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been looking for an sks for some tiem now and i just cant seem to find one for an affordable price (to me). i want to restore it so probably in cosmoline....everything that i can find is around $130-150....been looking an some local gun shows but still nothing....any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
$130 to 150 should give you a good selection to pick from. If you find a good one in that range it's economically better to get it than to drive around looking to save 10 or 20 dollars.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I dont know what they sell for in your neck of the woods but out here, thats not a bad price. I'd buy it for $130-150. My last one was $167 out the door and that was cheap for here.
I agree with BRG. Save the driving and looking or maybe the shipping and just get one.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Gotta go along with that,the prices are just going to go up as the supply dwindles,and the quality is going to go down.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The only cheap stuff I have seen lately are the yugos. They had some at the last gun show for $110, But they would have defiantly qualified as fixer-uppers. Decent ones were around the $130 mark. I agree with the others, I don't see em getting cheaper. The non yugos are even more.

I got a Chinese that needed a little TLC about 6 months ago for $115. I was happy with that!

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I got my Chi-com for $169 in excellent cond., some were going for up to $350.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Well mine was looking pretty rough at the time of purchase. Not Norinco either - it is stamped "made in China by GCA". I havn't been able to find out any info on the gun. If anyone has any history I would love to hear it.

I cleaned off the rust and about 50 years of crud out of the action! Almost as good as new! Important thing is - It shoots good!

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my area SKS's have been selling for $200-$325 in the last year or so, last weekend I noticed a couple Chinese models with price tags in the $150 range. I think the AWB sunsetting kinda put a damper on price gouging for the SKS.

Regulis7

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
That's about what we are seeing here Regulis7. I hope they keep dropping but I'm not going to hold my breath. BTW, welcome to G&G!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I dont think they are going to go below the $130 mark
thats about right though
the $69.00 sks days are gone.
a little over a hundred bucks is going to be normal.
hopefully
if things go well, we can get the ability to import them again and if that happens then we may have a glut again.
lets hope.............

All chinese Sks's are made by Norinco.
the threaded barels and the swages barrels All of them.
Norinco is the only "company" that makes firearms in China
it is the state run arms factory
the standard Sks's they we get are the same
ones that the chinese militia get.
they still issue Sks's to the "home guard" types mostly in the outlying areas like the mongolian desert and such.
Thats why they are still in production.
or where at least ..............

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well I got my SKS for around $230 at Cabela's. My SKS is a Chinese Norinco. It was a used one but it was in good shape and the previous owner put about $100 into it. He put a bipod on it ,scope, and a detachable 30 rd mag. I absolutely love it. Even though i wish i had maybe a smaller mag but its fun being able to slap a 30 rd mag on her. One thing i would like to have is a owners manual for it but I don't know where to look any ideas from you guys i would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
Local store is selling Ex.cond Yugo 59/66's for $129............

·
Registered
372 Posts
Most of the "owners manuals" for the SKS I've seen have just been photocopies that pawn brokers and gun store owners run off themselves. I know there are original blue books circulating at the shows and such, but I've only seen copies handed out WITH the guns.

Unless you find a specialty book you're interested in, I say just take that manual, featured at this page:

http://members.tripod.com/~Surv1vor/sksman.html

and print the sucker out

The text quality, believe it or not, is actually better than that of my hard copy "manual"/pamphlet.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Dealer cost on the ones I have gotten are about $99.95. Buy the time you pay the shipping and the dealers share, $130.00 is about the price you can expect to pay.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Some dealers have a lot more mark up than others. I was once told that there is nothing wrong with being a pig, but when you get to be a hog, you will end up on the Christmas table.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts