Primer pocket reamers

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by Para Cassatt, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I just picked up a couple Lyman primer pocket uniformers and started out with the small rifle on some 22 Hornet brass. I finished some small batches of S&B, Win. and Hornady brass so far but after about 10 rounds my fingers need a break. Any suggestions and what brand are you guys using?

2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I just have a little LEE reamer that came with my kit. It is hard on the fingers but it works.

3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I chuck that Lee hand reamer into my electric drill. No finger problems at all!

4. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Same here. I've got a 45* 12V drill I chuck mine into. Works great.

5. mikld

mikld G&G Regular

Kinda O.T. but I quit using a primer pocket reamer several years ago (I think I used one four or five times). When I run across some military cases that need the primer crimp removed, I use a 60 degree countersink. But as far as cleaning/"forming" primer pockets, I have no need to do so...

6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I'm leery of using a countersink to take out crimps. No way to regulate going in too deep. I'll stack to my RCBS swager set.

7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Primer reamers do much better keeping the walls straight.

8. res45

res45 G&G Addict

I've used one of these for quiet awhile to remove the crimp for military rifle and pistol brass,the tool design controls the depth of the cut so it only removes just enough brass to clean up the crimp. I used them in a cordless drill and it make quick work of several hundred cases an hour.

Graf & Sons - HRN PRIMER POCKET REAMER KIT, SMALL & LARGE

9. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

This reamer only appears to remove the mil. crimp ( pic was blurry in link). The uniformer squares up the bottom of the pocket and is for rifle brass only, per Lyman.

I think it's the itty-bitty Hornet brass with so little to hold onto that's the cause of discomfort. I can't imagine it would be any easier to hold onto if spun be a drill motor and it seems to stand the chance of deforming the pocket.

10. res45

res45 G&G Addict

A better Picture.

Attached Files:

11. Tracer

Tracer G&G Aussie Dad

"I can't imagine it would be any easier to hold onto if spun be a drill motor and it seems to stand the chance of deforming the pocket. "
    you don't have to push the case into the spinning tool hard at all. let the tool do the work.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2010
  12. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I just clean mine out with the RCBS cleaner - the one with the little wire brushes. I've thought about uniforming the flash holes, but not the actual pockets. The cleaner mounts in a screwdriver style handle and works pretty easily.

For removing crimps I use the RCBS swaging kit. It doesn't remove brass, just pushes it back where it was before it was crimped.

13. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I have been looking at uniforming flasholes to wring the last little bit off accuracy out of my hunting loads.

14. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I don't know. Just the use of the term "reamer" makes me nervous for some reason.

15. mikld

mikld G&G Regular

The countersink just cuts the corner of the primer pocket, won't go too deep. I have found that it takes one or two twists when using a countersink by hand or one or two seconds when it's used with a power screwdriver, just enough to remove the crimp. Since it only cuts the corner of the pocket there is no way to make the pocket too large or crooked. Actually it would be kinda hard to cut too deep; you'd have to really lean on it...

This is the type of countersink I use.
    McMaster-Carr

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  16. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Hornady military crimp remover in a light-duty cordless drill, FTW.

[​IMG]