Primers backing out on milsurp brass

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by Ninja Piper, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

I'm getting a handful of primers backing out on me with milsurp ammo for my M1 Carbine. What's the deal? I thought milsurp ammo had crimped in primers. Is this a gun or ammo issue? I haven't counted yet, but my guess is it's happening on about 25% of the brass.

2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Crimps must be swaged out. If swage is too much then the primers will not stay seated. Are you doing the swaging or did you trade for the brass that was already prepped?

3. Ninja Piper

These are the original milsurp, not reloads.

4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Sounds like premature extraction to me...;)

5. Ninja Piper

I know I'm just opening myself up for all sorts of comments on this one but... How do you fix premature extraction? (other than thinking about baseball?) and how would that cause the primers to back out?

6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I believe someone is BS,ing you.No way are original primers going to back out.Do you have a friend that is knowledgible in firearms or possibly know a gunsmith?A smith probably wouldn't charge to give his opinion.Can you post a picture on here? ,,,sam.

7. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

There are 3 things that cause this...Primarily
    1. Loose primer pockets.
    2. Low pressure loads
    3. excessive headspace.

A bolt not locking in place can let this happen too...

8. Ninja Piper

These are the best pictures I can get of them with my crappy camera. I got these when I bought my carbine from a friend. They were all packed in the same bandoleers, cardboard, and stripper clips. Headstamp was PSD 87. There is a number on the bandoleer after a bunch of Korean writing 110-127.

Attached Files:

9. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

That degree of backout is more than I expected,but it should not be a concern, as long as the rifle functions. I believe it is the fault of the ammo.I have several carbines, and I notice that sometimes although it is not as high as 25%.
    Looks Chinese, may be corrosive. It is not boxer primed...right?
    Try good US stuff as see if it happens as often.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  10. Ninja Piper

I was throwing out a guess on the 25%, I haven't counted exactly yet. I have been treating it as corrosive simply because I'm not sure. The rifle functions perfectly with all this ammo. I haven't used anything different other than the stuff I got with it which is all packed the same. I'm going to bring it to the local smith to check the head space.

11. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Most gunsmiths are not going to have a Carbine headspace guage. I doubt that is your problem. Get some U.S. ammo and see. Could be old powder that went 'slow', poor quality Chinese ammo. I would not wotrry about it too much.

12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Looks like pre-mature bolt release. (jmo) ,,,sam.

13. Ninja Piper

Good point. I'll pick some up next time I take it out to the range. I just don't like the idea of paying almost $1 a shot for the stuff they sell here!

14. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I think Prvi Partisan makes 30 Carbine ammo on the cheap, buy a box of that and see what happens. I love there stuff in 7.62x54R and 7.62x39

15. Ninja Piper

Last time I looked I found .30 carbine ammo for $46.00/50. I was thinking of just loading up a few at the bare minimum load and testing those.

16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Would some Pro-Long cream help that? :D

17. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Huh, Tula 30 carbine ammo....$15.99/50 Graf and Sons. $12.99 if you have their C&R license holder discount.

Graf & Sons - TULA AMMO 30M1 110gr FMJ STEEL/BERDAN 50/bx 20/cs

18. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    First, that is Korean ammo, not U.S. military. Second, the primers are NOT crimped in carbine ammo. Third, certain lots of KM were known to be underpowered. Those lots will often show backed out primers like you have here. It won't hurt anything unless one actually falls out, then it could cause a jam. But that is unlikely.

19. Ninja Piper

The underpowered thing definitely makes sense... I pulled a handful of duds that I had from those bandoleers (the same with the primers backing out) and found that there was no powder in the case! I'm thinking since the primer didn't go off in the ones without powder, that saved me a lot of other trouble from a stuck bullet!