Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
funny how Match, BR, and the military equivalent stuff always seems to pop up during these times.
it's like they don't even make regular primers just the extra fancy ones.
I have never found any difference myself. I have also seen lots of studies that said he same. But humans are fickle. Or maybe gullible. Late in life I went back to college and studied amount others things advanced marketing. Nothing advanced about it, if you can tell a competitor that there is a better product out there, and create the fear, that he may lose his shooting match because he did not pay extra for that product, then he will buy it every time.

Pretty interesting really. If you can create an illusion that some gun is better than the next people will pay more for that gun than a similar once. Take a RIA 45 the exact model as a Volt, compare them and shoot them, now do it with 100 of them, is there $500-$1000 difference in the two? The same thing happened in ARs for years but people arecwiser know. If you can put a gun together from parts and shoot under one inch at 100 yards with bulk steel cased ammo, us there any reason to pay $1500 for an AR that may not shoot as well? Probably not but they put fear into people by saying do you want to risk your life with a cheap gun? So out of fear, they pa the extra $1000.
And the best one of all is those $2000-$5000 top name 1911s. Read a story the other day that the guy saved his whole life for one and it comes and it will not feed hollow points, so he calls them. And they say, call use back after the 200 round break in. If I pay $3500 like he did for a 1911, I want it to work the day I get if. They sell those out of fear, And once you buy one, you can show it off because you now a member of The I Am Not Afraid Anymore Club. In the 70-80s they sold Corvettes under a theory of guys middle-aged lost thei a r sex appeal but they could look sexy if they had a red corvette. And they showed the middle age guys with young blonds with big boobs..

So if we do not use match primers were are not really very good reloaders, right.? Pretty funny for me, if they make a difference at all they would be for 1000 yardvshooters, Inwill use most of these in pistol rounds, 400 Corbon, and maybe sone 300 BLK and some 7.62 x 39. None of them would I ever shoot over 200 yards and the pistols not Far at all. I was just glad to get them

·
Registered
12,281 Posts
chuckle.
they tell you that BR or match primers are the ones that test better than the regular ones.
i don't think they shoot them,,, they just weigh them put them in the fancier box and click on more money numbers when the price tag is applied.
i'm more convinced they simply run out of the regular boxes, and only have the fancy ones on the shelf, right before they have enough primers stocked up to actually get some on the shelves again.

every single box of 'match' primers i have come along a few months before a regular stream showed up again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
as more on that line.
have you ever seen a box of factory ammo marked bench rest or match style primers?
I have seen factory ammo labeled “Match” with a nice looking package and a higher price tag. Perhaps that is where they install the match/bench rest primers 😉 I picked up a few boxes of 6.5 Creedmoor recently and honestly found that it produced somewhat tighter groups than the standard stuff on the range. For the shooter looking for that slight edge, it might not be a bad deal.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I have seen factory ammo labeled “Match” with a nice looking package and a higher price tag. Perhaps that is where they install the match/bench rest primers 😉 I picked up a few boxes of 6.5 Creedmoor recently and honestly found that it produced somewhat tighter groups than the standard stuff on the range. For the shooter looking for that slight edge, it might not be a bad deal.
If you are shooting match branded ammo, you expect cases with closer tolerance for size and weight. And you expect more attention to proper powder levels, such as they test batches more often and you expect every load to come from the same lot of powder. and you expect match primers. I think some of the Federal Premium ammo that I have in 308 and 300 Weatherby says that on the box.

I met a competitive long range shooter who competed with an AR 10 and had killed record boot mountain goat about 760 yards. He shot only his own ammo and bought 308 cases in 15000 boxes, all with the same lot number. His powder and primers for each batch would all have matching lot numbers. He did not reload the new unfired brass he loaded only the one time. His theory is used brass is never the same. He showed me his fired cases and how they would get small nicks and dents from the extraction process and hitting the pavement, some would gave tiny neck dents. So he was happy to give me a pile of his once fired brass, he would not bother to pick it up.Works for me, In will pick them up all day.

I have killed a bedded white tail once at 460 steps after laying in a rock pike a half hour and watching him up above me but could not move as I would be busted. I have made one shot kills on antelope on measured distance at 429 steps, 538 steps, and 563 steps and a measured mule deer at 403 yards. It is bad when you need a second shot at 500 yards because they can move 20 feet and be over the hill, then you have a long walk to make that finishing shot. Did that once too on a goat. So I never plan on shots more than 300 yards and any sloppy loads that will shoot 2 inches at 100 is more than adequate, that said, I do not hunt open country with any gun that will not shoot one inch and I have never not been able to get that with regular primers. I have these new SRP 1000 pieces and 500 LR Match primers that I will use in my hunting loads, as that is all I could get. As I say, most of the small ones will go into pistol brass so probably a waste if any added value. Oh well, if you got them, load them.. When shooting 45-70 and 300Weathery 500 primers last a long time. Probably will not use them in 45-70 lol

I

Reactions: jdavis and neophyte

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I'm down to my last 100 Winchester large rifle primers and so far haven't found them available anywhere. I did make a contact with a big time reloader and he hooked me up with 1000 Wolf primers. I assume they are OK but would like to hear if anyone has first hand experience with the Wolf brand primers.
I ordered 15,000 back during the first Obama shortage. Those became some of my favorite primers. I wish Putin would figure out some way to flood the US market with them, and Salut(Russian Unique) powder.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wish Putin would figure out some way to flood the US market with them, and Salut(Russian Unique) powder.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
If the Russians ever could flood the market with primers and/or powders, the Biden administration would quickly put an embargo on them. There is no way that they will let anything get in the way of their control of the supply chain of ammo and components.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
The auction I mentioned just finished these primers. Lots of money plus you have to add 15% buyer's premium which makes it just under $147/1,000.

Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

21 - 30 of 30 Posts