Pro Hunter Ammo Suggestions

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by aekdb, Sep 21, 2010.

1. aekdb

aekdb G&G Newbie

I am taking delivery of a Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter Mountain 7mm-08 and will go pig hunting soon after. I will have time to sight in the gun, but not enough to experiment with different ammo.

Different guns seem to like different ammo. I know that Barnes, Nosler and others make good stuff, but is there a particular cartridge that works well with the Pro Hunter?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has some advice on this, I appreciate whatever experience you can share.

2. Never_Evil

Never_Evil G&G Evangelist

Most people will say hunt with the ammo that you sight your gun in with. It will shoot more predictable due to having consistent loads. After the season you can experiment with different manufacturers, and sight in your scope again.

3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I don't think anybody can say any ammo is best for any gun. It all depends on the tolerances the gun was made to, even for the same model and manufacturer. The only way to find out what shoots the best is to shoot a large variety.

Personally I reload all my rifle (Except of course .22 LR). So I can tailor make ammo to work the best in my guns.