Problem! fixable?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by cremley, May 25, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I just got a mosin nagant 91/30 made in 1943 a few days ago. I got it for $90 and it had a stock that was in superb condition without any scratches and looked to be factory refinished to a "golden" look. I took it to the range today and took a shot at a target from 200 yards. The bullet hit about 3 feet to the right of where I was aiming and about a foot high. I decided to shoot a few more rounds at the target and they were all over the place, sometimes hitting within a few inches and sometimes within a few feet. I figured that it was just shooter error so I pulled out my m44 to check. I was able to hold a 3 inch group for a few shots. I figured that it couldn't be human error. Here is the big problem. when the factory refinished it, they didn't bore the hole out. This is how I would rather have one, but, when I cleaned it before I took it to the range, I noticed that it wasn't rifled for the last 7 inches of the barrel. I think this is because it wore out. I also found some rust that was in this 7 inches that was mostly removable. so here are my questions. Should I take it back and get a refund? How much would it be to get it rifled again and is it even worth it? I have till Tuesday to get a full refund back.

Chris

2. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Addict

You would have had yourself a good deal if it was a better rifle! I'd take it back in a heartbeat!

3. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Sounds like it has a pretty extreme counterbore. Most aren't over an inch or two. I'd look at all of the other normal issues, ie: loose action screws, severe pressure points in the barrel channel, etc.
    If you don't find any problems, I'd try to return it or look into turning it into a sporter, rebarrel it, etc...

4. killer

killer G&G Newbie

I can't believe some of the accuracy you guys get. Heck I'd be satisfied with a 3" group at 75 yards let alone 200 yards.

5. A 7 inch counterbore means your barrel is worn out. You will never get decent acuracy with that barrel as is. You could cut it down to the lands again and make a sporter out of it. Cut the barrel off that is. You could have it rebarreled. But for the price of Mosins now I would take it back and find another.

6. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

+1 a 7 inch counter bore is un acceptable and I doubt it was done at the factory as the Russians never to my knowlege ever counter bored deeper than 1 1/2 inches ( correct me if I am wrong ) , at least that is what I understand from my research.. Take it back :sad2:
    the russians would have re barreled it

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  7. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I agree...A 7 inch counterbore is CRAP...:bigeyes:
    Take it back and exchange it !
    Rich

8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

9. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

YEAH NO S#!T !!!!
    i have never seen a mosin that can do that.
    admittedly i have only fired about a dozen of them.
    i dont get those groups with a benchrested ,pristine bore m-44

10. SwedeSteve

Just think what that rifle could do if it wasn't a piece of crap, LOL!

11. It was his M44 he did the 3" @ 75 yards with, not the piece of crap. Most of the Mosins I own can do at least that, especially bench shooting; we're only talking 4 MOA.

And I don't think he meant the barrel was counter bored seven inches; he said the rifling was "gone."

Cremley, if the rifling is really worn and gone instead of just being buried in cosmoline and crud, take it back in a heartbeat.

12. I read that as his M44 doing 3" group at 200 yards which is pretty **** good.

13. SwedeSteve

I'd say so too! While I've only fired my PU at 200, 3" groups are rare, I'd say.

14. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My M44 can do it with iron sights at 50 yards, but beyond that, it's my eyes, not the rifle. I would need a scope. But definitely take the rifle back. Seven inches is totally unacceptable.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  15. SwedeSteve

^ Agreed! Many women would also agree...

16. Okay, very strange. I'd have sworn I read he did it at 75 yards. Maybe I shouldn't try reading for content until after my second cup of coffee.:sad2:

All of you are right, of course. Three-inch groups at two hundred yards is more than acceptable.

17. SwedeSteve

It is for these tired old eyes!

18. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

A friend of mine had am M91/30 with no rifleing in the last 4" of the bore. He had the last 5" cut away by a gunsmith,but it realy didn't help much. It was just an old worn out rifle

I would take it back.

Nick

19. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

LOL! ROFL! and spit diet coke all over the room!!!! Swede there is never any way to tell what kind of silliness is gonna come out of your mouth/keyboard!:hitwithrock::09:

20. SwedeSteve

Tex- I never know either, LOL.