Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay I don't know if any of the old crew remembers but last Spring I ended up with a .45ACP Springfield Range Officer in a trade I initially wasn't too keen on until I test fired the thing.
Then after a few minor changes it was back into the safe to languish. Well I can't stand safe queens with a few rare exceptions. And I kicked around the idea of trading it off.
Until I decided to firm up plans to move further out away from well...."city folk" to be nice.

So I needed something that was accurate reliable and could blow a decent hole through a sasquatch pilfering through my jalepeno pepper patch.馃榿

Hence Project Velociraptor Bringing new usefulness and deadlines to an old dinosaur.

The goal is to have a pistol upgraded to safely fire .45SCP +P 230gr JHP and either .45Super or .460Rowland.

So far I've done the following changes:
EGW Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop
Wilson 25lb Mainspring
Wolff 20lb variable power recoil spring
That helped with felt recoil and kept the brass from being ejected and tossed into next week.
Before the parts and spring upgrades my brass was sailing up smacking the ceiling of the firing line's roof and bouncing right across to consistently smack the trash can at end of the firing line about 40 or so feet.
Water Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Floor

The above photo showes the approx. distance the brass is being ejected currently.

Earlier I had replaced the safety lock Mainspring Housing with one the was flat, checkered and with a recessed lanyard loop.

Grips I'm on my 2nd replacement grips as while the old Magpul ones were functional the FDE color looked like coyote....poop. So I went searching and found these G-10 Green/Black on flea Bay marketed at the time from Coolhand Grips. Now virtual identical ones are being sold there by Guuun Grips.馃檮

I also bead blasted the barrel hood area and the barrel bushing. No shine for field use

The front sight I replaced with a Dawson Precision 0.180 high Tritium front.

The rear sight: I've pondered replacing it with a fixed Heine rear sight with a single dot for durability.
But I want to give the Bomar clone by LPA a chance first. So I just rounded the corners of the rear sight leaf.3

The load the pistol likes so far is a Hornady XTP 230gr JHP averaging 950fps. And performance is average 2" at 25yds from a rest.

So that's it for now until I can get some .45 Super brass and data for reloading.

Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Shotgun

Don't know when I'll be able to progress when Part 2 and the .45Super will occur. But it'll happen when it happens.

Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you will like the .45 Super. I upgraded my old AMT Hardballer to fire the .45 Super. it puts the old cartridge into the 21st Century!
What weight and type of recoil spring are you running? If, you don't mind me asking.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that's what I was wanting to upgrade to next 馃憤

Oh is yours the fixed or adjustable sight model?
If adjustable I'm curious how it's held up to the recoil.

Registered
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gas
mine is the adj. sight model and they don't hold up to the .45 Super recoil. right now, I have them glued in place with Silicone. :rolleyes: in addition to the 22# recoil spring & full length guide rod I have installed a flat bottom firing pin stop, Ed Brown match barrel & heavy duty firing pin, Wilson hammer & strut, hammer pin, heavy duty sear and pin.
I experimented with nuclear loads and finally settled on a few that were still hot but showed no pressure signs. using Unique and Long Shot powders. they push a 230 gr. powder coated bullet around 1166 fps.-694 ft. lbs. and a 200 gr XTP 1181 fps. - 619 ft. lbs.
since my .45 Officers Model sports a Wilson barrel w/a fully supported chamber, 24# recoil spring and a flat bottom firing pin stop, I worked up some "light " Super loads that push a 200gr. LSWC bullet at 1014 fps - 457 ft. lbs. and a 230 gr. powder coated swc at 964 fps. - 475 ft. lbs. out of its 3" barrel. these same loads go around 80 fps. faster out of the 5" barrel.

Premium Member
Okay I don't know if any of the old crew remembers but last Spring I ended up with a .45ACP Springfield Range Officer in a trade I initially wasn't too keen on until I test fired the thing.
Then after a few minor changes it was back into the safe to languish. Well I can't stand safe queens with a few rare exceptions. And I kicked around the idea of trading it off.
Until I decided to firm up plans to move further out away from well...."city folk" to be nice.

So I needed something that was accurate reliable and could blow a decent hole through a sasquatch pilfering through my jalepeno pepper patch.馃榿

Hence Project Velociraptor Bringing new usefulness and deadlines to an old dinosaur.

The goal is to have a pistol upgraded to safely fire .45SCP +P 230gr JHP and either .45Super or .460Rowland.

So far I've done the following changes:
EGW Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop
Wilson 25lb Mainspring
Wolff 20lb variable power recoil spring
That helped with felt recoil and kept the brass from being ejected and tossed into next week.
Before the parts and spring upgrades my brass was sailing up smacking the ceiling of the firing line's roof and bouncing right across to consistently smack the trash can at end of the firing line about 40 or so feet.
View attachment 175921
The above photo showes the approx. distance the brass is being ejected currently.

Earlier I had replaced the safety lock Mainspring Housing with one the was flat, checkered and with a recessed lanyard loop.

Grips I'm on my 2nd replacement grips as while the old Magpul ones were functional the FDE color looked like coyote....poop. So I went searching and found these G-10 Green/Black on flea Bay marketed at the time from Coolhand Grips. Now virtual identical ones are being sold there by Guuun Grips.馃檮

I also bead blasted the barrel hood area and the barrel bushing. No shine for field use

The front sight I replaced with a Dawson Precision 0.180 high Tritium front.

The rear sight: I've pondered replacing it with a fixed Heine rear sight with a single dot for durability.
But I want to give the Bomar clone by LPA a chance first. So I just rounded the corners of the rear sight leaf.3

The load the pistol likes so far is a Hornady XTP 230gr JHP averaging 950fps. And performance is average 2" at 25yds from a rest.

So that's it for now until I can get some .45 Super brass and data for reloading.

View attachment 175920

Don't know when I'll be able to progress when Part 2 and the .45Super will occur. But it'll happen when it happens.

What's the difference between .45 acp and Super brass?

Reactions: neophyte

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's the difference between .45 acp and Super brass?
.45 Super has a thicker case web area.

I found this online:
Font Drinkware Metal Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory

I did section a case and double check that the feed ramp part of the barrel did not cut too deeply into the chamber. And it didn't otherwise I would have nixed this project.

Registered
With no disrespect to previous posters, What's the difference between .45 acp and Super brass? Pressure retention, it operates in an elevated pressure than can and may damage an unaltered firearm...please do some research.

Reactions: neophyte

Registered
I shot my .45 Super this afternoon. it shot great but only went 10 rounds and the rear sight roll pin broke. :mad: the silicone held the sight just enough that I didn't lose it. went home and put another roll pin in but I need to find a better way. I wish I had a milling machine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I shot my .45 Super this afternoon. it shot great but only went 10 rounds and the rear sight roll pin broke. :mad: the silicone held the sight just enough that I didn't lose it. went home and put another roll pin in but I need to find a better way. I wish I had a milling machine.
That's one of the reasons as to why I parted with my Hardballer,.it was a nice .45ACP 1911 Good Cupish clone but after I don't know how many rounds through i became concerned over a few things. Sights like your issue and frame & slide durability over the long haul.
On mine I had replaced nearly everything but the trigger itself and the safety. Oh and the grip safety. Wilson and Ed Brown parts slowly replacing everything else.

Registered
I bought my Hardballer in 1981 or 2. it has been fed a diet of max loaded reloads all its life and because back then I only had a few guns, got shot a LOT! no problems with the frame or slide but several years ago, I did split the factory barrel. hence the Ed Brown match bbl. the propriety rear sight has always been a pain in the ass. other than that, I like it a lot. I have since gone to the dark side of double action, high capacity pistols and the ole Hardballer became a safe queen. converting it to shoot .45 Super is my attempt to breathe new life in an old friend. but I have to admit as soon as I see LEO trade in S&W M&P .45 pistols for sale at a decent price again, I'm buying one. all they need is a heavier recoil spring to shoot the .45 Super.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Older photos from a few months ago doing a little long range accuracy testing. 100yds from a rest.
Hold was bisecting the standard MO supplied target fixed vertically on the backer.
Mainly wanted to see what the pistol and ammo would do at that distance.
Cloud Self-propelled artillery Motor vehicle Plant Green

Road surface Art Traffic sign Rectangle Font

Registered
This one just has the 400Corbon barrel in it. The factory 165 grain ammo goes 1361 fps and 650 foot pounds. The reloads are 135 grain bullets at 1400 fps, factory can go 1450 . Only a 22# Spring and a shock buff is needed.

It is a RIA frame and slide with everything that moves changed to a stainless other brand part. I call it my hammer, just carry it in dark places where there might be cats or bears. I carry it with the 8 round mag in it, but also carry two stainless 10 round mags on the off side belt, gives me 29 rounds at 650 fpe each. Should be enough for a stroll in the park. Not a 45 but pretty close. Grips pretty similar to yours. Great look.

Bumper Automotive tire Bicycle part Carbon Tire
Rectangle Automotive exterior Fashion accessory Font Auto part

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...grips pretty similar to yours. Great look.

View attachment 176126 View attachment 176127
[/QUOTE]
I'm beginning to wonder if there's one manufacturer of these grips but marketing them under a few different names maybe?

Registered
...grips pretty similar to yours. Great look.

View attachment 176126 View attachment 176127
I'm beginning to wonder if there's one manufacturer of these grips but marketing them under a few different names maybe?
[/QUOTE]
Yes there is. It's a secret Chinese company. The go by the cover name of their outlet store. They call them ebay.

I have seen the same grips go for $10-$60. They do create some pretty interesting looks on 1911s. Jerry posted some on here last year similar and that got me interested and I bought those 2 pair in the picture. Here is a better look, the gun looks better than the pic because I have polished it up since the pic.I have several 1911s and these new grips tell me right away which gun I am taking out of the safe. Old guys have to do things like that. Lol
Air gun Trigger Material property Gun barrel Shotgun

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah that's the same Green& Black one as mine from what I can tell. I bet lighting, screen color and cameras change the tone somewhat.
Oh yeah and the look, at least to me , is part of the reason why I chose them. Since I called this my Velociraptor Project the look of a cross between scales and feathers was fitting.

Registered
Yeah that's the same Green& Black one as mine from what I can tell. I bet lighting, screen color and cameras change the tone somewhat.
Oh yeah and the look, at least to me , is part of the reason why I chose them. Since I called this my Velociraptor Project the look of a cross between scales and feathers was fitting.
Great minds think alike. They sure do grab your attention. I have another set that I am going to put on my GSG 1911-22. It is solid black and they should spoof it up. They are not as flashy as these but should give it a better look. than the plain black plastic ones that are on it. I am going to run that brand down and see what else they have. I am not one to change grips just to change grips, but those look darn good on your gun, and not bad on mine either.Here are the ones going on the 22.
Rectangle Font Auto part Fashion accessory Metal

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And although I only have one 1911 currently with all the unpleasantness with Chi-na brewing up. I maybe need another pair as a spare.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts