Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gas
mine is the adj. sight model and they don't hold up to the .45 Super recoil. right now, I have them glued in place with Silicone. :rolleyes: in addition to the 22# recoil spring & full length guide rod I have installed a flat bottom firing pin stop, Ed Brown match barrel & heavy duty firing pin, Wilson hammer & strut, hammer pin, heavy duty sear and pin.
I experimented with nuclear loads and finally settled on a few that were still hot but showed no pressure signs. using Unique and Long Shot powders. they push a 230 gr. powder coated bullet around 1166 fps.-694 ft. lbs. and a 200 gr XTP 1181 fps. - 619 ft. lbs.
since my .45 Officers Model sports a Wilson barrel w/a fully supported chamber, 24# recoil spring and a flat bottom firing pin stop, I worked up some "light " Super loads that push a 200gr. LSWC bullet at 1014 fps - 457 ft. lbs. and a 230 gr. powder coated swc at 964 fps. - 475 ft. lbs. out of its 3" barrel. these same loads go around 80 fps. faster out of the 5" barrel.

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
I shot my .45 Super this afternoon. it shot great but only went 10 rounds and the rear sight roll pin broke. :mad: the silicone held the sight just enough that I didn't lose it. went home and put another roll pin in but I need to find a better way. I wish I had a milling machine.

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
I bought my Hardballer in 1981 or 2. it has been fed a diet of max loaded reloads all its life and because back then I only had a few guns, got shot a LOT! no problems with the frame or slide but several years ago, I did split the factory barrel. hence the Ed Brown match bbl. the propriety rear sight has always been a pain in the ass. other than that, I like it a lot. I have since gone to the dark side of double action, high capacity pistols and the ole Hardballer became a safe queen. converting it to shoot .45 Super is my attempt to breathe new life in an old friend. but I have to admit as soon as I see LEO trade in S&W M&P .45 pistols for sale at a decent price again, I'm buying one. all they need is a heavier recoil spring to shoot the .45 Super.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts