Proud To Be An American! "Memorial Day"

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Earl Easter, May 21, 2008.

1. Earl Easter

Earl Easter Pheasant Hunter Forum Contributor

I am proud to be an American cause all you fellow Vets and fellow Americans made this country what it is today. Despite all differences in politics and generally small disagreements on this site you ALL are first class and i salute you..................
    All of you have a safe and festive Memorial Day this weekend and just remember all the wars and troubles that we have all endured we are still here because of those who are serving, those that have served, those that lost their lives, loved ones, mothers, dads, uncles, grandpas, sons, daughters, nephews and true friends for a cause that we living should all be free.
    God Bless all of you!..........
    " Keep The Fire Burning And The Coffee Hot"....

2. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

Well that is a very nice sentiment.

I don't think I get the day off work, though. I hardly get any holidays. Still and all I don't care because that's not what it's about anyway.

In my spare time this week I'll be calling Nellis AFB (finally found the right number and department) and starting my gathering of info for a charity thing I want to do for the folks over in the Mid East late June/early July.

I think that's an appropriate way to say thanks and help them out a bit.

- Coeloptera

3. Grumpus

Grumpus Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member

"You may fly over a land forever; you may bomb it, atomize it, pulverize it and wipe it clean of life – but if you desire to defend it, protect it, and keep it for civilization, you must do this on the ground, the way the Roman legions did, by putting your young men into the mud...."

"...some American mothers had given their sons everything in the world, except a belief in themselves, their culture, and their manhood. They had, some of them, sent their sons out into a world with tigers without telling them that there were tigers, and with no moral armament." -- T.R. Fehrenbach, "This Kind of War"

Thank you, Earl, and all of our fellow servicemen and servicewomen who have gone into harm's way for our nation, and to all of those fellow citizens who have taught their children that there are tigers, who have armed them morally, and stand proudly behind them as they man the lonely watches on the walls of civilization...

Funny... I seem to find a whole lot of fellow citizens in this category on this forum...

4. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Holiday

Earl Easter: Sir; may your "Holiday" be with fond memories, we thank you.

5. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Amen Earl! God Bless!

6. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yes thank you to everyone who helps make this country a top rate nation!

And second help make this forum such a great place too! :)

7. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

May God bless all our Vets., past, present, and future. Also bless the parents who have watched their sons and daughters serve and protect America. May God return them home safely.

8. Thanks for getting this started Earl ...

I would hope that most people understand Memorial Day for what it is instead of simply a day off work.

Memorial Day History

9. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

You'd hope that.

Hope spring eternal, I guess.

- Coeloptera

10. Not haveing served in the military I hold all that have in high esteem !!!
    Being older, when I see a young man or woman in uniform some times my eyes want to water up.
    Because I'm so proud for them for what there doing for all of us.
    May God Bless America and it's Military !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. amen ot that, and i am glad to be a memorial day baby, born around this time of the year, i will tell you its nice to have a warm birthday

12. turner

turner Guest

I simply ask all, whether veterans or not, to make sure you reflect on this special day. The heros who gave all have a place so sacred in my heart, I cannot explain. I've been there, done that, in repect to many things miltary veterans have done. But, obviously, I did not make the supreme (ultimate) sacrifice. Those brothers that did, hold a special place in my thoughts and life. I have tried all my life to impress that thought onto my children and grandchildren, they NEED to understand the cost of these lofty freedoms we all enjoy. Yes, we do ALL enjoy them! Never , EVER, forget that they came at a cost, a very very expensive cost. One last thought.... Those of you who have lost loved ones, my heart is heavy every day because of that. My respect remains always with you and your families.

13. Kodiak32

Kodiak32 G&G Regular

Great thread Earl, couldnt agree more.

14. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Evangelist

Remeber, fly the flag on Memorial Day, and be proud of our deceased veterans.They made this country the greatest in the world. Also, don't forget to visit your deceased vet at his/her place of rest, and put a flag there. I'll be going to "visit" my dad and grandad, both veterans , one of WWI and my dad a combat vet of WWII. God bless them all...:usa:

15. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thank you, Earl and God bless. This is a special day, for those of us who went in harm's way, and returned home, leaving comrades behind. It is a day of reflection for me, hoping I have justified my survival, while others perished. It is a day for remembering, and honoring those who gave all, that we may live in freedom. I will fly the flags of all services, my country, and the special flag for blue star mothers, to honor those heroes, who so selflessly sacrificed themselves on the pyre of war, in order to keep America free.

Freedom is not free!

16. I, too, am proud to be an American . . .

. . . yet there is a sort of cumulative exhaustion to life in America at this time.

17. jd1911

jd1911 Guest

THANK YOU I AM ALSO GETTING MARRIED ON MEMORIAL DAY WANTED TO SHARE THAT

18. American Girls and American Guys will always stand up and salute they'll always recognize when they see Old Glory flying theres a lot of men dead so they can sleep in peace at night when they lay down their head.
    I thought perhaps others would appreciate the above bit of song. Many of my family have served over the years myself included. I have 2 cousins forever at rest within the USS Arizona shrine, my father served in Korea during the war, I served for over twenty years.
    When I see the Stars and Stripes raised and watch the colors snapping in the wind tears still cloud my eyes as old faces come to mind, my throat tightens as memories fill my thoughts. When I hear the National Anthem played by those who truly understand it's significance my heart aches for the sacrifices made by those before me, those I've left behind. To all my fellow Americans veterans and non veterans I ask you please take a few moments monday to thank those who made and continue to make our way of life possible, especially those who gave all. Whether it is in prayer, or service, or a salute because it does matter and it will be honored to be received. Thank You all.
    However SOME American Mothers sent their sons into the world AS Tigers, look into the eyes of a Serviceman or Vet and you've met one

Last edited: May 22, 2008