close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PSA PA-10 .308 loads

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by ninwnc, Aug 10, 2017.

1. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Enthusiast

I recently bought a Palmetto State Armory PA-10, semi automatic .308. An AR-10 by all accounts. I haven't loaded for it yet, but intend to do just that. I know to use a medium burn rate powder, and 150-165 grain bullets are my choice. My question is, have any of y'all loaded for one of these, and what were your results?

I have run 60 rounds of PPU .308 through it and it worked fine. Also fired 40 rounds of 7.62 X 51 without any trouble. Seems to be an accurate rifle. (after I retightened a loose scope mount)

Ten Man and Cyrano like this.
  2. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

ninwnc, Ten Man and jerry like this.

3. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Enthusiast

4. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

if it won't shoot 42grs of 4895 under a 150gr bullet it is too picky for me.

ninwnc and jerry like this.
  5. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Great info SUB

My Speer Manual has loads for gas guns.

Also highly recommend the case gage. I have some from Dillon for all the semi auto's.

Welcome to the dark side.

ninwnc and SUBMOA like this.
  6. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

My Armalite AR 10 likes this load:

Mil. Surp. brass (LC, CAVIM, etc.),
    CCI #200 Large Rifle Primer,
    Accurate 2460 - 40.5 grains,
    Remington 165 grain PSPCL bullet,
    COL 2.750,
    Lee Factory Crimp Die set at 1/2 turn.

This load shoots 1MOA or less from my 20" AR10, at any distance out to 1,000 yards.

ninwnc, SUBMOA and jerry like this.
  7. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    This is supposed to be the famed Federal Gold Medal Match recipe. I've loaded it and shot it out of a number of my .308s. They all do well with it. It's my go to round that I know I can pick up any of my guns and expect them to shoot well.

Case: Federal GMM .308 fire formed and match prepped (I use a number of diff brass)
    Primer: Federal 210-GMM
    Bullet: 168 grain SMK
    Powder: 43.2 grains (?) or 43.5 grains (?) of IMR-4064
    COL: 2.800"

ninwnc and Ten Man like this.
  8. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

Ninwnc, I use IMR 3031 (for both .308 Win and .223 Rem), Hornady bullets, CCI primers. Works great in AR-10s /AR-15s and bolt action rifles. Note: I did the loads for the bolt actions rifles and then tried them in the ARs. All extremely accurate.
    Note 2: I use V-Max 55gr for our .223 Rem and for the .308 Win, it's the A-Max 168 gr or SST 165gr.

ninwnc and Ten Man like this.
  9. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Enthusiast

Thanks for all the responses. I have been loading my .223s with 25.9 grains of W748, Winchester Small Rifle primers, and 55 grain Hornady FMJBT bullets. Works well for me. Now to learn to feed the .308.

10. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

that 748 might work there too.
    one thing I have noticed about 748 is it does a whole ton better if the case is full or super close to full.

Wicked109 likes this.
  11. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

I agree and you will never get a dangerous double charge if the first charge fills the case enough to overflow in the event you accidentally do a double. I also try and minimized the number of different powders for reloading so any time I can use a single powder for multiple calibers, it really makes life easier and more cost effective.

12. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

748 WILL work there. (for 308) This ball powder was created for this round and it's development in the early 50's. You might find a slightly more accurate round for a particular rifle, but nothing else will equal the velocity for a 165 or 168 gr bullet without pressure being to high.

Ten Man likes this.
  13. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Enthusiast

I loaded up some 145 gr FMJBT bullets over 48 grains of W748, and crimped them into the crimp grove of PPU brass. WLR primers. The 48 grains of W748 fills the case almost full.

I went to the range yesterday afternoon, to test fire some of them. They fed well and there was no problem with jambs or stove piping. I like this PA-10.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017 at 2:42 PM
    Ten Man likes this.