PSG1-A1 vs. CETME what is the upgrade?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by meatloaf, Sep 28, 2007.

1. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

Does anyone know how the PSG1-A1 is better than the original CETME? I know HK says its more accurate and is a better rifle, so I want to know what added parts or adjustments were made. Also my CETME was sold to me with an upgraded barrel which is supposed to be more accurate, also I plan on upgrading the stock and pistol grip to look like an PSG1. Is there anything else that I can do to make my CETME more accurate? :feedback:

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The PSG1 is probably built with more attention to precise tolerances and consistency. The CETME was assembled by trained monkeys - fortunately my monkey had a very good day. :09:
    Otherwise, the HK has better sights.

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

They are the same internal technology manufactured by completely different companies in completely different versions with completely different tolerances and completely different levels of quality. The PSG-1 receiver is stiffened by rails on the side that fill up the grooves where a retractable stock might otherwise fit. Its barrel is truly free floated, is long and heavy, and probably undergoes many accurizing treatments. The p-grip and buttstock are obviously different too. With a $500 buttstock and $100 grip, it's not at all hard to believe that the price tag is $10k without any ban being taken into account.

4. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

The but stock is 250.00 and the Ergo grip is 50 for wood and 65 for composite with form fitting rubber/gel. By the way has anyone checked the value of the CETME lately its realy gone up. I checked a web site someone had posted on here for Saiga rifles and it listed my CETME at 1100 to 1200 dollars, I paid 800 for it. Im thinking about trading it in, but then again im not sure if I love it or not. I need to fire a couple hundred more rounds through it before I decide. Also I have had zero problems with it does that mean it's a good one?

5. Big Dog

Yep, it's a matter of production. I have seen a few owners over on Gunboard's CETME forum bond or weld heavy wire stock into the grooves, to stiffen the receiver of their CETME. Making the rifle more comfortable to shoot can possible improve accuracy too - recoil pad, better muzzel-brake (reduced noise can equal less flinch!), HK wide forearm with heatshield to reduce the heat of shooting.
    All of this adds expense to a relatively cheap gun. I find my CETME perfectly suited to what I expect of it - one MOA at 100 yards with good ammo and a 6X42 scope. I won't try to make it a target rifle.

6. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

I wasnt sure what I wanted when I bought my CETME, I thought it looked cool and it spoke to me when I was looking at it on the rack surrounded by fifty other scary black rifles. Im not disatisfied with the rifle I just always want the best performance that I can afford. Also the CETME are not cheap guns anymore.

7. Big Dog

You have that right! I bought mine at $375.00 a few years back - just before Century ran out of original kits. Then the prices steadily rose . . .
    At this rate, maybe it'll achieve "collector status". :09:
    I like it though - it fits me ergonomically better than the FAL, and is more powerful with longer legs than the .223 rifles. Similar weight as an AK, with far greater capability and accuracy. A nice all-round field rifle.
    The few owners that have had problems are the "Squeaky Wheels" - the supposed problems are really blown out of proportion, in my opinion. It's a good rifle.

8. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted