close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Taurus PT-22 Should I?

Discussion in 'Taurus' started by Kaybe, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    I was thinking about getting a Taurus PT-22. Anyone have one? Good? Bad? Leave it alone? Get one? Let me know. Thanks

2. Browning Buckmark or a Ruger, is what I suggest.

3. dothedrew57

dothedrew57 G&G Evangelist

For a few dollars more you can get a beretta neos. Different barrel lengths. Reliable as can be. More accurate then I am lol

4. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    I wanted a really small, inexpensive .22 pocket pistol, but not "cheap" But I will check out the neo

5. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Great, fun gun to shoot.

6. dothedrew57

dothedrew57 G&G Evangelist

If you want a pocket.pistol the beretta is not for you then. The trigger on the Taurus is horrible and from what I've heard its not worth the cost in ammo to shoot it past 10ft

7. Zapp Branigan

Zapp Branigan G&G Newbie

In 1993 I bought a PT-22 it was great, very reliable, sweet little pocket pistol. I foolishly sold it.

3 months ago I bought another one.

It sucks. It's been sent THREE times to Taurus for repair, light primer strikes/misfires every other round. They can't fix it. Now they are going to give me a new one, hope it's better. Taurus repair does seem to be pretty quick about warranty work now, just call them up, they'll send Fedex the next day to pick it up at no charge.

If you get one that works they are great, and I will say the trigger pull on the one I just got is very light and smooth.

Too bad it doesn't work.

If they finally do deliver one to me that works I'll let you know.

Bottom line? I'd still take my chances and hope I got a good one, if you get a loser like I did, they do seem to be trying to make it right.

8. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

As much as I do like Taurus, that is not one of the models that I would buy.

9. blat

blat G&G Addict

I seem to remember the PT22/25 guns were originally designed to be SA/DA, but there was a design flaw that made the guns dangerous in some manner; so they went to DAO. I wonder if any SA/DA guns made it to retail before they stopped them?

10. BigCaneSwift

BigCaneSwift G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

What he said

11. newheart301

newheart301 G&G Newbie

TN
    Sorry guys, but I bought my wife a PT22 in 02, STILL running, shoots good , no, not target grade accuracy, look it same as has no sights. At seven yards she can keep all 8 rounds in a six in. circle. We have put over 10 bricks of ammo through it, WIN. HV.HP's is what it shoots best, It don't like low power ammo. As long as it's kept clean and "wet" it works !!! It's a DAO copy of the Beretta. I've also got a Millennium PT 745. 6 years old, never had a failure.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  12. COYOTE10663

COYOTE10663 G&G Newbie

When I went looking for a tiny semi-auto .22LR true pocket pistol, there were only 3 new ones to choose from. In order of price:
    Bryco/Jennings ----ick--
    Taurus PT22
    Berretta (21a?)
    THATS IT!
    There, for some reason, is evedently NO market for a new tiny
    .22 semi-auto pistols. Darn shame.
    My Taurus (now sold) was most certantly not "100% reliable", but it was reliable enough for it's intended purpose. (Plinking)
    It was by no means anywhere near as accurate as my ISSC M22 Target model, but it was FUN to shoot!
    Accurate enough to make coke cans dance across my backyard shooting range at 15 yards. And somewhat consistantly ring the 8" steel plate at 20 yards.
    Not bad. Not bad at all.
    I kinda miss it, for some odd reason.
    Might have to go get another only in the new super short barrell POLY version! LOL
    ;-)

13. I have had my for atleast 15+ years. Other than a hangup here and there. I like mine. If you want a good Target gun Look into the Ruger MK II, MKII series.

14. Merlin45

Merlin45 G&G Regular

I have one, and it functions perfectly. I love the tip-up barrel design

15. variolamajor

variolamajor G&G Evangelist

I had a Millennium Pro 745 for a few years and sold it. It was reliable and reasonable accurate although the long trigger takes a bit of practice to get used to. I still have a Millennium Pro in .40 S&W.

16. newheart301

newheart301 G&G Newbie

TN
    Great truck gun. Mine goes from safe to truck,to safe, shot twice a year, cleaned monthly, detailed yearly. Been money well spent, my next failure will be my first, spare mags. are hard to find, and pricey. I filed down the front sight, it shot too low. With the short barrel, hardball is the way I go. It's really no easier to conceal, than the 145, and with the narrower grip, unless you have small hands it tries to twist, the 145 was a lot easier for me to hold on to. That said the 745 is easier for my wife to hold on too, so the 145 left.