Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a used (of course) Remington model 721 in 30-06 with a 4x Urnetle hunting scope. I thought it was a good deal, not a great deal at $300 for the whole thing. It was someone's hunting rifle for sure. A few dings and scratches but in good shape. Whoever owned this thing didnt either take care of the bore or didn't know how to clean it properly. I'm still getting dirty patches. Lands at the breech end look clean and sharp. Hope to get to range this weekend.

A little feedback please. (Except from 338Winmag. The 30-06 caliber is just too small :09: for his likeing.)

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Just purchased a used (of course) Remington model 721 in 30-06 with a 4x Urnetle hunting scope. I thought it was a good deal, not a great deal at $300 for the whole thing. It was someone's hunting rifle for sure. A few dings and scratches but in good shape. Whoever owned this thing didnt either take care of the bore or didn't know how to clean it properly. I'm still getting dirty patches. Lands at the breech end look clean and sharp. Hope to get to range this weekend.

A little feedback please. (Except from 338Winmag. The 30-06 caliber is just too small :09: for his likeing.)
LOL, you got a good deal, like the old saying goes "One man's trash, is another man's treasure" :D

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's like a needed another rifle like I need a hole in the head.
But it fits my Mode of Operation. If it's old..............buy it!
Did a second cleaning. Better. The bolt lug area was filthy.

Would you know if the finnish on those rifles is oil or poly?
I'd like to steam some of the dents out.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Still doesn't shoot worth a danm!
Bedded the action. Tightened the scope mount. Free floated the barrel. Tried 3 different weights of bullets. Changed scopes. Shhhhhhh it still won't hold a group!
(get the hammer!)
Might change the scope mounts. front Redfield is not tight as other mountings, it's the 90 degreee twist/turn type. Recrown barrel?

Ebays scope ended at $218.00. phack ebay now!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You have my sympathy. I know that's frusterating.
You have a very nice looking longarm there. I hope she starts behaving properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try some Outers foaming bore cleaner. Plug off the breech (I use an ear plug). Fill the barrel up with a few squirts, and let it sit over night. You'll get a lot of blue goo, copper fouling out without harming the barrel.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The scope may be the problem, also. Even though the recoil of a 30-06 is mild, it could be knocking your zero off every time you shoot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
id say it could be 3 things

1. your scope rings, maybe u need some "heavier duty" ones or a better rail

2. you need a new barrel, hows your rifling?

3. u need some foaming borecleaner, a couple passes with a boresnake, and some more toothbrush scrubbin all ure parts, and then of course lube it all with break free clp :) (mm i love breakfree!)

oh and make sure everything is sitting in the stock right, and is tight.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Appreciate the replys.
Glass bedded action and 3" of barrel
Redfield scope rail was loose
Rilfe's rear sight was touching scope-removed
Use Shooters choice bore cleaner over couple of weeks to get the copper fouling out.
Project will be on hold for couple weeks. Other stuff to do.

Thoughts:
The front scope ring is not a tight fit in redfield base. Hmmm? New base or rings. Maybe.
I need to purchase a 30 cal muzzle reamer and refresh muzzle. (and a .32 and .264 reamer too)

·
Registered
28 Posts
id say it could be 3 things

1. your scope rings, maybe u need some "heavier duty" ones or a better rail

2. you need a new barrel, hows your rifling?

3. u need some foaming borecleaner, a couple passes with a boresnake, and some more toothbrush scrubbin all ure parts, and then of course lube it all with break free clp :) (mm i love breakfree!)

oh and make sure everything is sitting in the stock right, and is tight.
1 and 3 of the above , and if that still doesn't do it, before you go to a new barrel, try another proven scope, it just maybe the scope is not so good inside.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I agree on the scope, if it doesn't straighten up after curing the mounting issues, try another scope before you start cutting on the barrel. My father-in-law has a real nice Win. 94 with a Weaver 2x7 on it that looks brand new but won't hold zero worth a flip. It shoots fine with iron sights.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I just read something interesting in Guns and Ammo. Everyone knows that dammanged crowning can affect accuracy and this article showed how to check for irregularities in the crowning. Paint some white out on the crowning and fire several shots. Ideally, there should be a regular pattern of powder fowling around the crown. If the marks are irregular, you have a dammaged crown which you can fix yourself whith a reamer-type tool that uses the bore as a guide.

I figure that may be a contributing factor to your misbehaving rifle.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Any loosness in the scope rings or mts means your just wasting ammo. I'd retire the scope and mts for new stuff. Save the scope for it's collector value. You can clean up the muzzle crown with a brass wood screw and some valve grinding compound turned slowly in a variable speed drill. Get a screw with a head that's called an "oval A" it has a domed top with a v-shaped seat. It could be the barrel throat is shot out also.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Full Metal Jacket Please keep us posted on what you do to this rifle, if'in you do anymore to it.
I like this thread and it will be interesting to know if you can return this gun back to a good shooter...A.H

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If the throat is worn, MidwayUSA sells bullets and cartriges that are designed to prgressively polish the bore and smooth out the throat. 20 round packs differnt roughness.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts