Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has matching numbers on barrel, bolt, and magazine floorplate. I don't know if that's really good or bad. Never been back in an arsenal and had any parts changed out I guess? Bluing was good, no external surface rust, but it looked like someone held it quite a bit with wear mark on grip.

First couple patches brought out some God awful looking stuff but only the 1st couple. Looked like rust almost, but the stock had the same color stuff wipe off of it too.

Got a cleaning kit, bayo, sling with dog collars.

The stock looks like it was made in a hurry. If I'm correct in what I've been reading they were made in a hurry to get it out into the battlefield (Izhevsk 1943).

Anyone know of a web site with free instructions on tear down. Can't wait to see how it works underneath.

I do have one question or concern about the rear sight being canted? Take a look at pic and see what you think.

Also my eyes need help so was thinking of using a peep sight by MOJO sighting systems.

Comments?

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Glad to see that ya got yer first Mosin. They are great guns!
Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com
This is a good site that has the tear down/ reassembly info that you need.
Sometimes ya get weird angles/cants with the wartime Mosins, but before ya worry about it go shoot it and see if it shoots true to where the sights line up.
Take it to the range and let us know how it does!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Well Killer, you have the bolt out. Pull out the cleaning rod. You have two barrel bands. Use no maring tool to push clip down. Move front band twoward muzzle. Next repeat same operation on rear barrel band. There is two trigger gaurd screws. First in front of 5rd magazine. Remove. Last is screw at rear of receiver ubove rear of trigger guard. Remove. Use big screw driver not a small one.
Rear sight does look to be canted. Shoot it.
Wondering if it shoots to the left?
FMJ

·
Registered
570 Posts
Get ya a carbine for the sheer fun factor they provide, then you should get yourself a good Finnish Mosin. You will be suprised at the difference in craftmanship that they have above their Russian counterparts!
Oh yea, that orangish goo that's caked on the rifle is called Cosmoline. It's what the Russians used to preserve these rifles over the years, and is also rumored to have some toxin in it that causes uncontrollable urges to buy more Mosins! :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ya i Heard about that toxin... I suggest if your bank account looks low wear some Rubber gloves.... And killer FYI most ammo for that gun is corrosive so clean it with some ammonia (windex works great) to stop the salts from eatting your new gun away....

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning (or anytime)... it smells like... Mosin...

Once you get enough recoil pading there is nothing more fun to shoot than an M44.

Dawn Power Desolver, and boiling water.

Another handy website is:

7.62x54r Ammunition Evaluations

Try the Igman ammunition from AIM. Very nice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Get ya a carbine for the sheer fun factor they provide, then you should get yourself a good Finnish Mosin. You will be suprised at the difference in craftmanship that they have above their Russian counterparts!
Oh yea, that orangish goo that's caked on the rifle is called Cosmoline. It's what the Russians used to preserve these rifles over the years, and is also rumored to have some toxin in it that causes uncontrollable urges to buy more Mosins! :D
MosinDave,too late, out here in Taxafornia,I'm gonna corner the market on M44's; you are right,they do have a tendency to scare the !!!!! out of your neighbors who aren't familiar w/muzzle blast!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any of you folks out there know of any small lie out there I can tell my wife that the 300pounds of spam can(7.62x54r)ammo is cat food?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You may as well start lookng for a bigger gun storage cabinet or safe now. You obviously are in the beinning stages of Mosinitas. Once you smell that russian cosmolin, or get it on our skin, you're hooked.

Enjoy your rifles.

Here's an idea.

If your bride can not read the printing on the 300 round spam can, (it could be a seceret code. Right?)

tell her:

A:It was stolen by the CIA.

B:You are really AGENT 7.62X54.

C:You have been assigned the mission of testing the contents.

D:In several different modles of the Mosin Nagent,

E:that you will have to purchase soon.

That should do it.<G>

Nick

·
Registered
570 Posts
You may as well start lookng for a bigger gun storage cabinet or safe now. You obviously are in the beinning stages of Mosinitas. Once you smell that russian cosmolin, or get it on our skin, you're hooked.
Enjoy your rifles.
Here's an idea.
If your bride can not read the printing on the 300 round spam can, (it could be a seceret code. Right?)
tell her:
A:It was stolen by the CIA.
B:You are really AGENT 7.62X54.
C:You have been assigned the mission of testing the contents.
D:In several different modles of the Mosin Nagent,
E:that you will have to purchase soon.
That should do it.<G>
Nick
ROFL! Pure genious! :D

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
In my years of military service one of the things I learned was:

If you can't dazzle thim with briliance,

Baffle them with Bullshi...

My last post should do one or the other. Or maybe cause another symptom of Mosinitas, "The she didn't buy it rsulting in this lump on my head" syndrome.

LOL

Nick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts