close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

put a 770 and a 597 on layaway

Discussion in 'Remington' started by hemingway89, Dec 3, 2014.

1. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Evangelist

needed a deer rifle and i wanted a .22 i was going to have the lgs order me a 270/30-06/280 for deer wasnt sure which of the three i was gona get but there was a used 770 in 3006 the bolt didnt seem as bad as the older model starter guns, so ive got that on layaway. i was also gona have them look for a used remington .22 or order me a 597 in .22mag, but when i was putting the 30-06 on layaway a guy came in and wanted to trade inhis lightly used 597 .22 so for 100 bucks thats gona come home after christmas! i want to keep my gun caabinet all the same now i have an 870 887 im gona have a 770 and a597 now i just need a 700ml and the 1911 they make

2. I have had a 597 for about a year now, and I love it. It's the only Remington I currently own, but I hope to correct that soon with a 700 in 30-06, or a 760/7600.

hemingway89 and mauser9 like this.

3. 99dragon99

99dragon99 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I would re-think the 770.... there have been several issues with it.

Google the 770 and there aren't too many positive comments that I have found...

4. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Evangelist

I have a 770 in 7mm08 and they do have a lot of bad press. My dad gave it to me for my birthday when I was 16 (5 years ago) and it has killed 5 or 6 deer, and one giant snapping turtle this summer from 200 yards away :D , has maybe 100 rounds through it (not a lot by any means) and it hasn't had any issues. It feels like a cheap rifle because that's exactly what it is, the bolt isn't very smooth either. BUT mine is very accurate, (right around 1moa) and like I said it kills deer just like any other centerfire bolt gun

That being said I believe there are better rifles out there for the same amount of money. For instance, I picked up a Marlin XS7vh .308 heavy barrel for $350 this summer, same price my dad paid for my 770 5 years ago. But I'm sure the prices on 770's has fallen since Remington has the 783's out now... But I just can't begin to tell you how much I love that XS7. It shoots outstanding groups with cheap 150gr CoreLokts. And the trigger pull is out of this world

And I have a 597 as well. I really like mine, have thousands of rounds through it. I started having problems with it jamming because the factory extractor wore out, but I replaced it with a Volquartsen exact edge extractor and it is extremely reliable now. And it is incredibly accurate for a semi auto, stock, non-target model .22lr rifle. Love it

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Kad Skirata likes this.
  5. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Have been tempted by the 597 as it comes in 22 mag. ruger dropped their 22 mag version of the 10/22 and prices of a used one are high. Prices are good for a 597. thanks for mentioning.

hemingway89 likes this.
  6. Tack Driver

I dunno how the 597 .22 mag is but I will say semi auto .22mags and .17hmr's don't have a good track record for the most part. For whatever reason

7. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Heard bad report on the .17 HMR as you mention Tack and I believe they stopped making em if I am correct. Years back I grabbed a Marlin 925M and this summer a Ruger American in 22 mag. which made be spoiled for its light weight and handiness. Autos in 22 mag seem to come and go. Still would like to have one for quick follow up shots.

Kad Skirata and Tack Driver like this.
  8. Tack Driver

Yep the .17hmr 597s were recalled several (maybe 4-5) years ago

And I don't blame you one bit, I have always preferred semi auto .22's as opposed to a bolt action

BUT I would still love to have a bolt or lever action .22 some day :)

I know you are a big .22 mag fan, bet you have had a heck of a time trying to find ammo for yours.

Kad Skirata likes this.
  9. That was the same problem the previous owner had with my 597, and solved it the same way. It has a bad rep with some because when it came out the flush mags were plastic instead of the current pot metal, and the rails were over tightened. Both the mags, and the bolt issue have been fixed. I also replaced the factory hammer spring and plastic spacers with one from Tandemkross with metal ones. It was cheaper than the Volquartsen hammer, and supposedly a better upgrade. The trigger pull is a lot smoother and I never really disliked it to begin with. I highly recommend it to any 597 owner.

Honestly it fixes everything I dislike about the 10/22, and is more fun and accurate for less cost, and time spent upgrading it. There are a lot of options if you want them, not as many as the 10/22, but you don't need as many as the flaming chicken brand does to work correctly. :p The big mags are also 30 rounds instead of 25. I just wish they were steel or aluminum instead of plastic because mine are starting to wear out, and the flex makes them tough to reload completely. I am not aware of anyone selling magloaders for them unfortunately. I just spray the action, and run a patch or a bore snake through it when it gets a little sticky. Hopefully it's as easy to reassemble as I have read when I have to tear it down.

I have shot probably 3-4k rounds through it and had no real issues. Luckily it likes Rem Cyclones and Cabelas has had them in stock regularly. It also likes golden duds but they are just a bit less accurate, and harder to find currently.

Tack Driver and mauser9 like this.
  10. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Tell ya the truth Tack not too bad findin the 22 mag. My local GS would save me a box or 2 after I ordered the R/A and my Bass pro usually had the Rem.40 grainers but no 22 L.R. Now to bag a yote after deer season!!!!

Tack Driver likes this.
  11. Tack Driver

My 597 probably has about the same number of rounds through it. And I agree with the 30 round mags, I had two of them but just gave one to my cousin who bought a 597. Ever since the great .22lr shortage I have just quit using the 30 round mags to try and keep myself from blowing through ammo too fast.

As you said it took a little work, but it was definitely worth it. Mine cycles any .22lr ammo I have ever tried it, CCI minimags, CCI standard velocity, Winchester, Federal, Remington Golden Bullets, it even cycle Thunderbolts :D

No telling how many critters mine has killed. Kept the raccoons out of our corn this summer :)

Kad Skirata likes this.
  12. Tack Driver

Well glad you are finding some ammo for your .22 mag. I have been fortunate to be able to acquire enough .22lr to meet my plinking and varmint/small game hunting needs. Even ventured out on Black Friday to score a 525 round brick of Federal .22lr :D

mauser9 and Kad Skirata like this.
  13. hemingway89

I know about the bad press the 770 has I have had the 710,715 and I know people who have the 770 none of this is new to me i liked the the 710 and 715 im not a huge fan of the 770 stock because it steps away from th traditional style a little bit. these guns are just as accurate and reliable as anything else ive owned and shot , yeah they have crappy bolts. im not buying it becuase there amazing, beautiful rifles without flaws this is my beater rifle i wanted one so it will also match my 887 in looks and it was the cheapest at the shop i do plan on getting a nicer rifle wich will also be remington to match my 870, not sure but i may replace the stockon my 870 as well. the previuos owner of the 597 said it was finiky it liked winchester ammo so ive got some as that set aside as well. i do want a .22 mag too but that will be a while i just hunt the coyotes with buckshot till then.

14. Tack Driver

If your new 597 is ammo sensitive I would suggest replacing the extractor, if it appears worn. It's only a $14-20 part I believe, and isn't that hard to do. I watched a youtube vid on how to do it, so I must be an expert, right? :D

Kad Skirata likes this.
  15. hemingway89

The 597 happens to be an older on with the plastic mag but he's got some new ones at the shop so I'll be getting one or two of those and thanks for the advice about the extractor

Kad Skirata and Tack Driver like this.
  16. Tack Driver

Good deal, the new metal mags will solve most of the feeding problems I bet. I need to pick up a spare

Kad Skirata and hemingway89 like this.
  17. hemingway89

Well I got to shoot the 597. The spring in the plastic mag is a littlecweak and dirty but the fire arm performs flawlessly . I put a BSA 1x30 red dot on it but I may endupwith my 3-9x40barska or the 4x32 tasco that it came with on it for hunting. I do see why many don't like it, it didn't really have that rimfire feel but I love it. It has fired every dirty dented crap bullet in could find laying around the house. Now I have a new magazine and 200 rounds of win. Super x 40gr HP.

Kad Skirata likes this.
  18. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Glad to hear it performs OK. I would be interested in one in 22 magnum. Price is right on the 597. Like my new bolt R/A but autos in a rimfire magnum are fun.

Kad Skirata and hemingway89 like this.
  19. hemingway89

I looked into one but I can't justify spending $430 on a rimfire

20. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

$430!!!!! Had no idea they were that high. Just for a 597 in 22 mag? Saw the 22 L.R. 597 at Bass Pro. The Rem 597 is evidently about the only auto in 22 mag these days. They are tough to find on shelves. Even my Ruger Compact 22 mag. I had to special order as of course nobody had em. Paid $280 which I thought was a bit high but still appears quality and you can look at the bluing without puking. Thanks for the info

Kad Skirata likes this.