Putting a rear sight back on.

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by A7XFREAK, Sep 21, 2010.

1. A7XFREAK

A7XFREAK G&G Newbie

I recently popped off the rear sight on accident, I was trying to see how hard that pin is to come out, and the pin just kind of flew out, and now I can't get the sight back on. I can't get the spring to stay down to get the sight itself back in place to slide the pin back through.

2. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

pin

What kind of rifle? Is pin a straight pin or spring pin?

3. A7XFREAK

A7XFREAK G&G Newbie

Standard 91/30, the pin is straight.

4. daengmei

daengmei G&G Newbie

Ky
    Take the barreled receiver out of the stock. Get something to clamp down on the leaf, like a C-clamp (the opening has to be big enough to hold on top of leaf and bottom of barrel). Pad both ends of the clamp so it doesn't mar the finish of the rifle, maybe tape some thin wood to the ends. Line it up and use the clamp to keep the leaf in position, it may take a couple trys before you keep it in place. Use something like a nail that is too small in diameter for the pin holes (but long enough for both holes) and put that in, it will help hold while you push it out with the correct pin. Take your time and you should be good to go. You may have to tap lightly on the sight pin when it's trying to go into the final hole.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  5. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

pin

Ihe would position take he rear sight in a verticle position, spring staked in place in sight body. My springs are kinda weak. I would think the spring puts pressure on pin to hold it in place. If spring is too strong I would use a very small clamp to hold it down. Allign holes in and sight and assemble pin. To prevent it from coming out I would take a small steak punch and steak pin on each side.

6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Small C-clamp worked for me once.

7. I've done the C Clamp as well.