Quality, Low cost optics

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by soulracer, May 2, 2008.

1. soulracer

soulracer Guest

What would you guys say is the best lower cost scope out there.?
    Looking for something about 3-10x 42mm with Mil-Dot reticle. Wanna keep it under 300..under 250 would be even better.
    Let me know what you think.

carlos

2. rfc357

rfc357 Guest

Get a Bushnell fixed 10x mil-dot. For about $210 it's great.

3. soulracer

soulracer Guest

would the static 10x hinder me on shorter shots.? Like 100yd or less? Not that I need a large FOV to shoot targets, etc. but maybe for hunting...

4. rfc357

rfc357 Guest

I have been shooting mine on a flat-top AR at 50 yards with no problems. It has a nice bright picture, a flat field, and it's like watching television.

I liked fixed power scopes for several reasons. They have fewer pieces to go wrong. They have fewer air-to-glass interfaces so generally have brighter pictures. They are lighter than variables. They cost less than variables for the same level of performance.

Now there are many fine variables out there, and I do not want to disparage them. However, for my shooting needs I generally prefer fixed power scopes.

I'm going to put one of these scopes on each of my varmint rifles. For deer and elk I use fixed 4x scopes.

5. turner

turner Guest

6. soulracer

soulracer Guest

What would you say the usable range is on a 10x.? 500yds.? More.?
    Most of my shooting will initially be at a 100yd range, but I'd like to have the options for more if I can find a place to shoot..
    If I ever intended to do long range (1000yds or so) I'd most likely upgrade.

7. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

Try a search here by selecting MilDot as the reticle type. I saw a few that might meet your needs; Bushnell Legend 5-15x40, Leupold 4-15x56, Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40. If you plan to hand hold, I think a 10x fixed is too high. At least for me 6x is even at times too much especially for smaller targets.

Natchez Shooters Supplies - Shop Optics Rifle Scopes

Ron

8. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I agree with this 100 percent! Any time you go over 3X in fixed power they are virtually useless at short range,say 25yds.Furthermore the variables which cover about all ranges are as good in quality and clarity as fixed power scopes today,if they are good scopes to begin with.It shouldnt be difficult to find a quality 3x9 for under $300.. sam.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  9. Don357

Don357 G&G Evangelist

Several brands come to mind. I have 3 Tasco scopes. A 3x9x38 Pronghorn on my Tula T03-78-01 .22LR, a 3x9x40 Golden Antler on my CETME, and a 3x9x42 World Class on my .308 Stevens. And also a NcStar 4x32 Long eye relief on my Ruger Blackhawk .357. There are good scopes out there with out breaking the bank

10. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

If you can accept a Tasco for quality they have exactly the scope to meet your basic specs. I didn't suggest it based on the price you were willing to pay for higher quality.

Tasco. Enjoy the View.

The problem is that you can't find the same thing in higher quality without going up in price 4-5 times. There are some good testimonials out there for this scope. I considered it, but decided for target shooting I needed more power.

Ron

11. I recommend a BURRIS Fullfield hands down in your price range so consider a Burris and if you buy one you'll be glad you did...A.H

12. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

13. Just make sure that the scope you chose has enough eye relief. 3" plus is recommended. Check out Sightron scopes at Midway.

14. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Since they dont make anything under 3" that should be easy. sam.

15. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

I just purchased a Sightron 3x9x40 for less than $100 (gloss), and it is the clearest scope I've seen in a long time. My son has a Nikon ProStaff that is very clear and bright, but I think this Sightron will smoke it in low light.

16. Billyz

Billyz G&G Newbie

Wander on over to Sanchez and see if they still have the tasco scopes on sale.

17. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Look at Mueller and Burris.

18. IMHO, Mueller was the best scopes in the 250-350 dollar area. I've sold my Burris and Simmons and have all Mueller now.

19. rfc357

rfc357 Guest

Range and power have nothing to do with one another. If you can see the part of the target you want to hit, you have enough power. Higher power can be a detriment to good shooting.

20. mym1a

mym1a Guest