Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've recently become very interested in purchasing an M1 Carbine and if that weren't bad enough, my girlfriend decided she really likes them because they're small, light, and don't kick much. Only thing is, I don't know which makes are good and which to stay away from. I've been told that some aren't worth looking at. I was looking on Gunbroker to see what the price range is and found a few for what seems like good prices. I found an Iver Johnson, a Plainfield, and an Underwood, each for less than $500. Are these ok?

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Iver Johnson is the last choice.
Plainfield was a commercial endeavor made up of surplus USGI parts and is, imo, the best commercial clone made.
Underwood is one of the USGI makes. Any of the USGI makes are good but prices vary depending on rarity. Inland and Underwood are the more common makes.
You want to make sure the extractor is not chipped or otherwise broken. Most barrels on USGI have been shot alot so may show medium to heavy wear.
Do a little research on the various makes and save yourself some heartburn.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the Underwood I had in mind. Description says it has a very good bore with some frosting. And thanks for the info on the Iver. The one I know anything about is a Universal that a friend bought(he didn't know anything and didn't research) and my brother told me to stay away from them. So far my friend's has been 100%, but time will tell. It definitely isn't milspec.
U.S. Model M1 Carbine by Underwood : Curios and Relics at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
The carbine in question is a return from the lend-lease program. It was used by the Korean military and returned to the U.S. through Blue Sky Imports. Probably brought back during the early 1990's. The price seems good and , by the pictures, it appears in fine condition. It looks like it has a round bolt which is a plus in my book...but pictures can be deceiving.
The Blue Sky marked carbines are USGI so don't let anyone talk you out of your decision...I'd take a serious look at the Plainfield also.
This carbine appears to be a nice clean good-looking gun.
BTW the carbines returned from Korea during the early 90's were required to be stamped with the "importer" names...there was Blue Sky and Arlington Armory...FYI

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have to agree with jarhead. The Underwood is a return from Korea and it does appear to be in good shape. Parts are readily available if it ever needs repair. And it is definately an arsenal rebuild, so you don't have to me concerned about changing anything.

·
I can justify anything.
4,878 Posts
And it's a very nicely grained stock..

If I were shopping for an import marked carbine, at $495, I'd make it mine with a push of the buy it now button.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have picked up 2 at pawn shops over the years they are good shooters one dated 44 and one dated 43 picked them up for under $250 they are fun and good for 200yds im not deep into the back ground of them if i see old WWII equipment at a good price well lets say it finds a home

1 - 7 of 7 Posts