Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey fellas any help would be appreciated on these guns. First I bought an Arminius 22 LR with the vented rib barrel, are they any good? I came across it at S.I.R. for a hundred bucks and had to jump at it. Good finish and mechanically sound but what is the history like on these guns. Lastly Norinco is offering a knockoff of the 1911A1 for $325 in 45 cal. Any one have any opinions on if the Norinco version of these guns are any good?

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
never heard of an arminius, so cant help you there. the norinco 1911's are a decent quality pistol, the only part that is not interchangeable with other 1911's is the grip screw bushings.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,690 Posts
Troy, welcome to G&G!
Arminius is indeed a German-made gun. They've been made for a number of years, and are an inexpensive type of revolver of usually decent quality.
Probably comparable to our H&R's - not great but not at all bad.
Let us know how it shoots!
The Norinco 1911 is an excellent value for the money. many custom builders like to use the Norinco frame, as it's a bit heavier made than most current 1911s.

Sounds like a couple of good buys. :D

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome Big Dog, yeah it is obvious from my number of post that i am a new guy to the G&G forum. That target rich envioronment quote cracks me up every time.

G

·
from a valued G&G resource

Stephen A. Camp said:
Hello.

Several months ago, I got a like-new Norinco 1911 at the upper end of what I would pay, but I've not regretted that purchase. In an earlier post, I described the things I did with the pistol. After finally getting the fixed sights regulated, I took the pistol out today for a check and to move the fixed sights if necessary.

The Pistol: This pistol came stock. Nothing's been done in terms of accuracy, but it does have some add-ons that I did myself.

Kimber blk rubber stocks
Colt hardchromed grip screws
Stainless Colt thumb safety
Chip McCormick trigger
Ed Brown sear and hammer
Flat, 20LPI-checkered, M/S housing
Wolff 18.5lb conventional recoil spring
Wilson Shock Buff in place
Colt E-nickled magazine release
Colt E-nickled slide stop lever
Wilson "drop in" Grip Safety (It did!)
Skateboard Tape on front grip strap

Gunsmith, Scott Mays, added the fixed sights. The rear sight is a King's hardballer and I flat don't remember what the front sight he silver-soldered on is! He then applied a matte finish to the top of the slide and polished the flats before bluing.

Ammunition: Today, the pistol was fired with the following rounds and an 8-round Wilson magazine was used:

Winchester USA 230 gr FMJ
Federal 230 gr Classic JHP
Corbon 200 gr +P JHP (Old, pre-Gold Dot bullet)
Handload:
200 gr Rucker CSWC
5.0 gr Bullseye
WLP primer
Starline Cases
LOA: 1.27"

For what it's worth, which ain't much, it'd rained up here today. Just for grins I fired a round of each JHP into some mud and pulled out the expanded bullets to see. Not a scientific test a tall and likely meaningless, but interesting, at least.

The bullet, round on the left is Corbon, while the other's the Federal.

Distances & Testing: Today, all firing was slow-fire with the 15 yard groups being fired standing, w/2-hand hold. No fifty-yard stuff today; I was running short of time and didn't care to trapse through the mud all that much. Also, twenty-five yard groups were fired from seated with my arms rested on my range box and a coat rather than standing.

15 Yards:

Each of these 10-shot groups were fired with the handload described above. When I'd do my part, it did its.

It becomes clear that the sights need to move a bit to the left.

I wasn't shooting very well here.

At this point, I messed around with the fixed sights and moved to 25 yards. Again, these were fired from a rest and not freehand.

25 Yards: The group fired with the USA ball consisted of 6 shots, all that I had left and as the picture will show, I blew one of them! The handload's group was of 10 shots.

So, the gun's "on" plenty good for me and for the uses I'll put it to.

Observations: I have continued to be pleased with this pistol's reliability. Roughly, 1200 rnds plus have been fired with zero malfunctions. Ejected cases are not dented or bent and ejection remains positive. The home trigger-job which was done on this pistol continues to remain true and crisp. Accuracy has been most surprisingly pleasant for a service grade pistol.

While my personally-owned and tested Norinco 1911s consists of but one, based on my experiences, I highly recommend these pistols for folks wanting a fun-to-shoot, reliable and pretty darned accurate forty-five. I suspect that many buy these as "base guns" for more refinement. This one's "refined" enough and will stay as it is.

Best.
:right: btw Welcome Troy

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Jacob Arminius was a Reformed Theologian who's view of man's acceptance of Salvation differed slightly from John Calvin. The difference has been greatly exaggerated to the point that they're seen as opposites, which is incorrect. Today people will debate Calvinism vs Arminianism with blood in their eyes while having very little clue what those guys actually said. I think if they'd lived at the same time, Calvin and Arminius would have had respectful and constructive discussion and debate.

G

·
Arminius, Jacob (1560-1609)

A Dutch professor who tried to modify the Calvinism of his time. In 1610 his disciples produced their manifesto, the Remonstrance, affirming that election to salvation rests on faith forseen; that Christ died for all, although only believers benefit; that grace is not irresistible; and that perseverance depends on one's own action over and above God's help. Dutch Arminianism was rationalistic in spirit, and subsequently drifted into querying Jesus' full deity. Some High church Anglicans came independently to an essentially Arminian view of grace, not from rationalism, but from deference to the Greek Fathers.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
BRG...LD

what is the connection between Jacob Arminius and the revolver???

clue me in, i'm cluless :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I mentioned earlier I can get the 1911A1 in 45 cal. new at www.marstar.ca for $325 canadian. Big Dog seemed to think that was a decent price but i haven't done any price comparing. Anyone know what they typically sell for? I also missed the connection between Jacob Arminius and my new to me revolver however it did make for interesting reading, so continue please.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
:jaw: Canadians have guns!!!?? :insane:
Quick grab the rifles! :full:
Just kidding Troy and welcome to Gun&Game. :cheer:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yup canadians have guns and if i can ever figure out how to get the cartrige squeezed in through the hole where the hammer closes your gonna need them thunder sticks of yours!!!!!!!!eh? he,he,he.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
PAPA G said:
BRG...LD

I sure don't know why they named it Arminius, but the theologian is the only Arminius I've ever heard of.

As far as Arminianism goes, saying that accepting God's gift of salvation "over and above God's help" is probably farther than Arminius would go. The belief that Jesus was not fully God was an old one, an old heresy called Adoptionism that, after being declared heresy, receded into more of a cult which merged with other heresies and cults to form a religion called Islam...

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,839 Posts
My Norinco has worked flawlessly for about 13 years.

The target is "potential" 20 yards at a rest 200 grain SWC handloads. Five rounds.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Troy said:
As I mentioned earlier I can get the 1911A1 in 45 cal. new at www.marstar.ca for $325 canadian. Big Dog seemed to think that was a decent price but i haven't done any price comparing. Anyone know what they typically sell for? I also missed the connection between Jacob Arminius and my new to me revolver however it did make for interesting reading, so continue please.
hard to say about the price, thanks to Klinton/BushII Chi/Com guns and ammo been banned for quite a few years. not noing the exchange rate (USvsCAN) i can only hazard to saw, sounds good to me. :cool:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,690 Posts
I really doubt any connection between the theologian and the Arminius revolvers. The guns all are identified by the mark of a man's head with winged helmet (Mercury, or Celtic warrior? Who knows.) Early guns have it in the grips, later guns are stamped in the frame or barrel.
A few different German companies made the guns with this name over the years. The earlier guns were generally of the "Bullgog Pug" pattern, while the later ones were more conventional.
The 2004 Standard Catalog of Firearms gives a value of about $120 or so, in excellent condition.
Not a bad buy you have there, and it's got some uniqueness - I always like to have guns that not everybody at the range has. :nod:

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
any one importing them now??? CenterFire did 'bout 8-9 years ago.

G

·
PAPA G said:
BRG...LD

just shameless bumps to keep the thread alive and for BRG3 and I to take an opportunity to discuss religion :hmmm:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts