close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about Mak ammo from Novosibirsk

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cranky-Kraut, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Does anyone know what this stuff is?

I have several boxes left of some sort of Russian made Makarov ammo. The box is a wierd semi-light green color and marked "Made in Russia"+ "Novosibirsk LVE-Plant Pic" and claims to be non-corrosive.

I am just curious what this stuff is and if anyone out there has had good results with it. I put a few boxes through my Mak and was horrified by the unpredicatability and inaccuracy of it. I was really starting to think I was 100% incompetent until I then began firing Sellier & Bellot and was getting good patterns.

2. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    16rnd boxes? from what it sounds like it's Soviet Milsurp

3. oldguy

oldguy G&G Newbie

While I like Russian guns I dont care for the ammo, I find they just pack in as much powder as possible for speed not accuracy.
    I reload as another option.

4. nick

nick G&G Newbie

got lee dies have'nt reloaded yet what do you reload

5. Dennis,
    No, sorry. Its in 50 round boxes and sold locally in several gun shops. It even has bar-coding on the pkg so it must be made in Russia for export but it is not in slick "modern" packaging like Wolf.......just crummy, third-world style flimsy cardboard boxes.
    Hmmmm, well, at any rate....it ****s so get Wolf for the same price if faced with the choice.

6. oldguy

oldguy G&G Newbie

"got lee dies have'nt reloaded yet what do you reload"

I reload 9x18, 9x19(9mm) 45acp and
    40s&w.
    For someone starting use a single stage
    or turret press(low cost) see how you
    like it, go slow, careful. Lots of fun
    and much better ammo.
    Maks with reloaded ammo are tack drivers,
    reduced loads are more accurate, easy on
    gun.
    If you are a serious target shooter reloading
    is the only answer.

7. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Cranky,
    All the old milsurp Soviet , and others where in 16rnd boxes (two mags worth) anything in a 50 rnd box is for civilian consumption, or so I would think. there may be milsurp repackaged,who knows.
    I still shoot lots of old Milsurp that I have on hand. I like the S/B stuff it seems cleaner.