Question About Quad Rails

Discussion in 'AR15' started by Lunatic Dizzy, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Lunatic Dizzy

Lunatic Dizzy G&G Newbie

ChaZam likes this.
  2. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Hard to answer as it depends on your build and what you intend to mount on the rails.

TXplt, ChaZam and Ten Man like this.

3. Lunatic Dizzy

Lunatic Dizzy G&G Newbie

Well, I'm definintely gonna put some kinda scope on there for deer hunting. But the only thing I could see the extra set of rails being needed for is if I was mounting something that far forward.

ChaZam likes this.
  4. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Concerning just the quad rail the two most common add one are a flashlight and a vertical grip( or one of the angled grips).

TXplt, ChaZam and Ten Man like this.
  5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

As BigEd63 said, it depends on your build, and what you are mounting.

Since you said you want to use it for hunting, but didn't say what you are hunting, you need to specify if it's going to be a scope mount, or a Red Dot optic. Next, if it's a scope, how long? Do you want backup iron sights? Does your build already have a fixed front sight?

Until you provide more specifics about what your AR15 is, how it's configured, and WHAT you intend to hunt with it, we are just guessing on suggestions.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    TXplt and ChaZam like this.
  6. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Pictures would help.

7. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

last thing I'd be putting on a hunting rig is a bunch of thumb cutting chunks of metal.

I have a couple of varmint rig AR's and can't imagine having anything more than a floating hand guard and a scope on the flat top.

TXplt, 455rocket, EtherialOne and 2 others like this.
  8. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Just my opinion...
    But instead of the 2 drop in quad rails that you linked I would instead use a free float hand guard that accepts either the M-Lok or the KeyMod accessory attachments. There are a lot of them now that are very competitively priced, they free float your barrel, you can attach stuff just where you need it, and you don't have those unsightly and uncomfortable rails all over your fore-end that cause many users to always wear a glove or purchase a bunch of snap on plastic rail covers to make them more comfortable.

Lots of other sources, but stuff like these...
    https://justrails.com/t/ar-15-1-piece-free-float-handguards1

9. First I agree with all of the above comments... It really depends on what you are going for.

Second I'm curious as to why you want a Quad Rail? ... Those were very popular a while back with the "Tacticool" crowd, and to be honest I never really cared for them that much as even with most of the aftermarket pads I find them generally uncomfortable and bulky. Just a thought but have you looked at the M-LOK or Keymod front ends? They are a lot more comfortable, generally lighter weight and you can add rail sections for what you need.

As to the Kemod vs. M-LOK personally I don't have a preference, but M-LOK does seem to be more popular. If you decide to go that route just make sure you get compatible accessories for the style you get (and some come with parts to work with both).

Here are a couple of examples if you're interested, These are "Drop In" like you are looking at:

https://www.primaryarms.com/mission...ymer-ar15-carbine-drop-in-m-lok-handguard-7in

https://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-moe-m-lok-handguard-carbine-length-stealth-gray-mag424-gry

Huey Rider and TXplt like this.
  10. LOL ~ You beat me to it!

11. Lunatic Dizzy

Lunatic Dizzy G&G Newbie

To reply to everybody at once:
    Yeah, I coulda gave a lot more info. Sorry bout that. I just figured a few extra rails weren't gonna mean a much of a difference. Seems I was wrong.
    Anyways some more info on my purpose and build:
    I plan on hunting White Tail deer with it, hopefully starting this season. That's definitely what I want to hunt, and maybe some coyotes or bobcats. And since I don't own a dedicated "deer rifle" for hunting that's why I wanna use my AR.
    Yes, my AR was first and foremost purchased for defense. And as such, I'm eventually gonna add canted flip up iron sights or a red dot.
    And the funny thing is I already own a M-LOK handguard. But I never really got behind the idea of having to add rail sections, when I could just use a quad rail and be done with all the rails I would ever need.
    But after doing some more research last night and hearing everyone's opinions here, I'm think I'ma just stick with my current handguard and add the rail sections I need.

Here's the scope I'm currently looking at:
    https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/riflescopes/buckmasters-ii-3-9x40-bdc.html

And here's a pic of my rifle currently:
    AR.jpg

ChaZam likes this.
  12. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Just a FYI post, that scope you linked is out of stock on the Nikon website. I would imagine almost all of their scopes will similarly be out of stock since about last November they announced they were getting out of the rifle scope marketplace. . There is a slim chance that you could still locate that scope from some retailer who hasn't sold all of their old inventory yet. Below is a thread I started back then.
    https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/nikon-exiting-the-rifle-scope-business.201258/

13. Lunatic Dizzy

Lunatic Dizzy G&G Newbie

Yeah, one of my local gun stores still has 'em in stock.

ChaZam likes this.
  14. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

The scope should be able to go on the top of the receiver. I really don’t know of many (like any) people using ARs whose scope has to mount so far forward that they’d need an additional rail. Not saying that this would never be the case it’s just that I haven’t in my sheltered life seen it.

There is also the issue of eye relief for a scope mounted too far forward.

I do have uppers with quad rails but the only things mounted on pretty much any of my m4s is a weapons mounted light, a hand stop, and sometimes a sling swivel. MLOC strips work a bit better for this IMHO depending on your hand size but my uppers came with the quad rail already installed (they aren’t sharp but if it bothers you, you can install the plastic ladders to make them not sharp). I personally wouldn’t go out and buy a quad rail given the multitude of other options but I don’t know your personal situation.

If the rifle is going to be multi role yet still scoped you might want to consider an optic like the Vortex 1-8x strike Eagle scope or similar in that working in close with an optic can be difficult and people sometimes put an angled sight or rmr on the gun to alleviate this. With a 1-6 or 1-8x scope you can use it as a red dot in close yet still have longer range magnification which is commensurate with the .223’s capabilities.

15. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

the best thing about the AR is it ability to be a modular platform.
    one quick swap, and you have a S-D rifle.
    flip a couple of pins, swap out the magazine, and your doing 1-200yd. deer hunting.
    flip them again, put the first magazine back in, and you have a varmint rifle.

Ten Man, TXplt and ChaZam like this.
  16. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

+1 on the Vortex Strike Eagle. For the money, Vortex gives you a big bang for the money. Pun not intended LOL.

Ten Man and TXplt like this.