Question For Dana

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Big Dog, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

WHEN WERE YOU AT TYNDALL? WHAT DID YOU FLY? I WAS IN THE 4756 AVIATION MAINTENANCE SQUADRON, AND WORKED ON THE T-33 TRAINER, THE F-101 VOODOO AND THE F-106 DELTA DART.
    I WAS THERE FROM JULY '76 TO JANUARY '80. I SAW THE CHANGE FROM AIR DEFENSE COMMAND (ADC) TO TACTICAL AIR COMMAND (TAC). I PREFERED ADC, THEY WERE MORE LAID BACK. WE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE GATE GUARDS THEN. :)
    TYNDALL TRIED THE F-4 PHANTOM, BUT OURS WERE OLD EX-VIETNAM BIRDS, AND WERE MAINLY HANGER QUEENS. THE ATTEMPT TO USE T-38 TRAINERS DIDN'T WORK EITHER, THEY HAD CORROSION PROBLEMS.
    THE WILLIAM TELL MEETS EVERY TWO YEARS WERE FUN. WE GOT TO SEE THE TEXANS, CANADIANS AND OTHERS STRUT THEIR STUFF.
    WE HOSTED THE FIRST F-15'S FROM LANGLEY ONCE. I NEVER GOT TO WORK ON THE "NEW" BIRDS.
    THOSE WERE GREAT DAYS. :D

2. TYNDAL 1960-1965

F-89J RANDOM FIRING DATES AND WILLIAM TELL.
    SAC, ADC, ADTAC, TAC. B-29, F89D, F89J.
    PVT-SGT GUNNER, SAC B-29, KOREA. MUSTANGER, 2LT - LT/COL NAVIGATOR RIO, ADC, ADTAC, F-89'S. TAC STAFF OFFICER F102, EB57, F-4, F16, 33 YEARS. LAST 3 YEARS I.G.

DANA

Last edited: Sep 17, 2002

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

WOW, YOU DA MAN DANA! GOD BLESS YA! :right:

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

THANKS, DANA. YOU WERE BEFORE MY TIME. TYNDALL HAS A BUNCH OF DISPLAY BIRDS ON HIGHWAY 98, EVERYTHING EVER STATIONED THERE. TOOK 'EM AWHILE TO FIND AN F-89, BUT THEY FINALLY FOUND ONE THAT WENT DOWN IN A SWAMP - IT WAS STILL IN FAIRLY GOOD SHAPE. TOOK ABOUT A YEAR TO RESTORE IT, AND IT WENT ON DISPLAY ABOUT '78 OR '79.
    WE USED TO BE ABLE TO STOP AND ADMIRE THE OLD BIRDS, BUT SECURITY CONCERNS FORBID THAT NOW. STOP BESIDE THE HIGHWAY ON BASE, AND THE SKYCOPS ARRIVE PDQ. :(

YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN HERE WHEN TWO C-5'S ARRIVED! IT STILL AMAZES ME THAT THEY COULD SET DOWN THERE. THEY PARKED ON THE FAR SIDE, NEAR THE COMPASS ROSE. TOO BIG FOR THE PARKING RAMP!

ALL THE F-106'S I WORKED ON WERE USED AS TARGET DRONES YEARS AGO. TOO BAD, IT WAS ONE FINE AIRCRAFT! IT COULD OUTRUN AN F-15 IN A STRAIGHT RUN, THOUGH IT BOMBED AS A DOGFIGHTER. MAKES ME FEEL OLD. :rolleyes:

DURING THE TIFF WITH IRAN, WE HUNG BOMBS ON A SIX JUST FOR A PHOTO OP - HEY, WE WERE READY TO GO! LOOKED MIGHTY ODD. :D

5. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I SPENT A COUPLE OF MONTHS A TYNDALL (1984) FOR F-15 FTD. IT WAS A WELCOME PLACE IN FEBRUARY AFTER CHANUTE AFB.
    FROM THERE GOT SHIPED TO "THE ROCK"

6. **** you guys are lucky, i thought i was hot $hit cause i got to hang engines on DC8's and 10's at long beach airport a few years ago!.
    Oh well it was a great job none the less.
    -Jesse