close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question for women shooters...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Mar 17, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I took a lady friend of mine shooting longarms yesterday, and while she had a great time, she had trouble shouldering them properly and getting the right stance. I tried to help her get the right positioning, but there's only so much I really understood. Shouldering longarms just come naturally to me. Anyone know anything that could help?

I wasn't sure if the classical stereotypical saying about women swinging hammers applies here (cringes to avoid violent responses), as I've seen plenty of women shoot well.

By the way, the same girl outshot me with a Colt .357 revolver.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2002
  2. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

And you call yourself a charter member of the, "He-Man-Woman-Haters-Club"! For Shame, For Shame. LOL When I taught my wife to shoot, I literally positioned her body and the firearm for her until she learned to do it. Remember, slow deliberate movements, and take your time. She finally got the hang of it. -UR.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2002

3. If'n yer expectin her ta go shootin long-guns 'n' enjoy it, don't be tellin her ta hold this way or that, that her hand has to be exactly "here" or "there". Let her find what's comfortable for HER! If she's not used to the weight of a long barrel, she'll probably hold farther out on the forearm than you do, etc., etc.

Recognize to that most rifle stocks are TOO LONG for many female shooters. If you were shooting off-hand, try shooting from the bench - stock length isn't as critical there and supporting the weight is easier. If she's getting serious about rifle shooting, get her a rifle that is sized to suit her arm lengths (not your's).

4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

You know, that makes a lot of sense.
    1.) She mentioned that my HK-91 felt kind of heavy. Using my custom foregrip helped.
    2.) She liked my Mossberg 590 way better than the 500. It is shorter and has a shorter stock length.

What seemed to be her main problem was touching only the bottom of the stock, like the sites were too low.

Based on the way she holds guns, I start to wonder if an AR-15 might not be the best thing in the world. Actually, come to think of it... Maybe the way for her to get the right shoulder position is for her to try mr friend's AR-180 with stock folded. Maybe then she'll understand the importance of the stock and figure out how to use it best. Her first shooting experience was with pistols and she put me to shame on her first try.

Do Hi-Point and Kel Tec seem like female-friendly rifles?
    I've had the idea of getting a cheapo hi-point and totally chopping it up and reconfiguring it. I love the Ruger, but I'm afraid it's a bit barrel heavy too.

Wanting to provide the greatest riflery experience possible, I was sad that I didn't have my Garand yet... Thank goodness for layaway.

5. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

That's good advise Jane. When I taught my wife I was not really concerned with how she held the rifle, just that she pulled it in tight and had a consistent hold. I was more concerned with her posture, since she had a tendency to lean backwards. The two things that helped her the most was 1: to wear a back brace(like when lifting boxes) so she could feel when she had her back straight and when she did not; and 2: I had her plant her cheek on the rifle stock where it felt comfortable for her. Then I marked it with masking tape so that she could feel where her cheek weld should be from shot to shot and each time she shouldered the rifle, until she just did it naturally. By the way the masking tape was her idea. -UR.

6. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

It was a while ago, but when I took my girlfriend shooting for the first time, I brought my SKS and bipod and plunked her down on a bench so that she could have good support. I put out some shotgun clays at 100 yards, and when I got her sighted in on the riflescope, I went off to reload some stripper clips, and lo and behold, after 3 minutes, she call me and says "No more targets!"

She had hit 22 shotgun clays in 3 minutes...not bad for the first time! I don't know if I love her because she's a great person, or because she's a better shot than I am!

7. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Many envy you... I kid you not! Any woman that will go shooting is a keeper...

Jesse

8. I love the idea that Uncle Red's missuss had about the masking tape. Male or female it would work equally well for some-one of smaller than average size. I have remained close to my ex lady friend, and all her family. Her daughter wants to come hunting with me. She has shot a few times but I did notice her cheek placement off as well as closing her eyes as she pulls the trigger. after firing a shot-gun once or twice, and feeling what real re-coil was all about, she no longer closed her eyes fearingthe shot but still held her face to far away for a good sight. the tape sounds like it will do the trick, thanks for the tip.

9. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

My wife said, "you're welcome!" -UR.

10. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

My ex is a shooter and one thing I did with all he rifles was to remove the spacers at the pad and they fit her better. I agree with Jane let her shoot the gun how she is comfortable otherwise forget having that shooting buddy. MY ex and I still shoot on a reggular basis together and I don't know how many times she has out shot me but she started shooting at age 5 where I started at 18