close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question for you Kentucky guys

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jerry, Mar 31, 2002.

1. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I'm in the process of looking to move to Kentucky. Iv'e noticed a few here are from the fine state. I am looking at the Louisville or surrounding area.

Not worried about the job, but how is the hunting, shooting, general outdoors scene. Does KY allow high power for deer hunting?

Any opinions would be appreciated. Don't hold back if there is something negative.
    thanx,
    jerry

2. If you're planning on using that thing ( it is some kida weapon isn't it?) that is in your avatar......I doubt it, LOL.

Not from Kentucky....sorry....had to inject my sick humor early this morning.

3. Tober

Tober Firearm Aficionado Forum Contributor

Well Louisville,

Is a very large City, and if yo see the Airport you will be WOW, well at least I was.

Near the South part of town, is where I am most familar.

And not too far from there is a place called Sheperdsville (Sp?) and it has the Knobb Creek Gun Range. Its an old Military Base, and has been converted to a Gun Range, and twice a year, April, October there is a Machine Gun Shoot for 3 days. Best place to shoot as their is no one out in those parts.

But as far as hunting I am not sure.

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

hi jerry!! theres many fine outdoors recreation available in KY., from boating, fishing, shooting hunting, or whatever you like. as far as i know rifles are allowed for hunting. we even have elk hunting(permits for elk are lottery drawn). i am in the south central part of the state near Lake Cumberland. not as urban as louisville. but i like it.:D

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Jerry,
    I'm from KY, and if I could, I would move back there faster than you can read this. The hunting is great. You can use high-powered rifles for hunting.
    I'm from Richmond, which is 25 miles south of Lexington. Louisville is a great city. Lots of commerce, and a great night life, if that's what you fancy.
    If you have a boat, you will have it made! You can cruise the Ohio River, or hit Lake Cumberland, where PapaG is (lucky man!!). There's also Kentucky Lake in Paducah, and a smaller lake called Barren River Reservoir in Glasgow. The fishing is good, too.
    If you like the ponies, you can't get any better than KY. Churchhill Downs, Keeneland, Turfway, and Ellis Park (Indiana side).
    Cost of living is cheap, too. CCW permits are shall-issue. You have to be a resident for at least 6 months.
    And, last, but certainly not least, is Knob Creek twice a year. If you've never been, it's as close to Heaven as a gun afficiando can get!!
    Louisville is a great town. It's growing every time I go through there. On my way to Cave City, I stop at the Kingfish Restaraunt to eat. Very good food there. My dad is from Cave City, and it's claim to fame is Mammoth Cave. It's worth the drive to see it (about 1-1/2 hrs. tops). Ft. Knox is close, also. But, there's not much there anymore since it became a reserve training center. I went there for the first time in 10 years last year, and it's pretty much dead now. Tried finding a gun store, but they've all closed and moved away.
    I used to live on Dixie Hwy in Louisville, but the old house is now gone because of the construction. And, don't pronounce it lewis-ville. Say it like lu-eh-vull. People take offense to lewis-ville for some reason. HTH

6. PAPA G

hi calvin!!! i lived in Richmond for three years my job moved from NJ to the bluegrass depot (pronounced depo). i don't know the last time you saw Madison county but its really building up, all those people escaping Lexington are causing a building boom!!!! your right about the pronouncing of louisville. also Versailles is pronounced Ver-sales not Ver-sighs. would you beleive i live near Lake Cumberland for three years and still don't own a boat!! i want a pontoon, just waiting for the right deal. my wife is afraid of boats but likes the pontoons, plus its a good everything platform for my tribe.:D :D :D

7. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

PapaG,
    I go there about every 2 weeks, and it has really grown!! I lived on S.Third Street, by the park. Good to hear from someone who lived there, too!!
    Where in Somerset do you live? I have a cousin who lives by the school on 80, but I can't recall the street name. And, how have you gotten along without a boat?!?!? I would go NUTS without one. There's gotta be a pontoon for sale there somewhere!! If I had known you a month earlier, I had a buddy who sold his down there for $1000. 24 foot Party Barge, with a 50 HP Merc, and it was only 6 years old. Sold it to a guy who goes out of Lee's Ford. I'm gonna be down there this summer, as a family friend has a houseboat, and he lets us use it anytime we want it. Maybe we can hook up. We'll have a couple of SeeDoo's, and a Sea Ray 21 footer.
    Speaking of Versailles, have you been to Centerfire Systems there? They have a lot of neat stuff for AK's, SKS's, M1 carbines, shotguns, and they sell some guns there, too. They have a deal on their Yugo 59's right now. These are the ones w/o the grenade launcher. They look pretty cool. I'm gonna stop in next weekend, and maybe(!) pick one up.
    Give me a shout, and we'll try to hook up!!:D

8. PAPA G

i remember that park took my kids to it alot. i rented in madison village(yea, didn't know any better). a Grand for a pontoon!!!!! wish i had known that. never had a place were i could keep a boat before. when i bought this house it had a detached double car garage, its as big if not bigger than alot of houses. first year hear i had a heart attack and died a couple times before by-pass surgery, so things have been set back, but i will be getting a pontoon. i live a couple miles from southwestern high school, and i can see the baron of somersets mansion from my door. ya ever see so many shell stations in one area?? tried to go see where centerfire systems was at, found the street but they don't have a sign hung, at least when i went by( it was after hours) might try again some time.

9. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

When you cross over the railroad tracks, they're in a white(?) building on the left. They're around the side of the building. Just a walk-in door, and a plain counter inside the door. They're nice people.
    Sorry to hear of the heart attack. My Dad had a quadruple bypass 4 years ago. His surgery went better than yours, though. Just be greatful to still be around!!
    I think Shell has the corner market on gas stations there!! I can't remember the actual count, but it was something like 12 in a 3 1/2 mile stretch!
    We also go out of Burnside, too. If you do get you a boat, launch it at the State Park ramp. Otherwise, you have to pay that stupid fee to get your boat in.

10. jerry

USA
    least ways i know there are some good people from KY. thanks for your interesting stories and feed back, just wanted to let you all know i am reading your efforts. I have the pronunciation thing down (i think) i went to Germany a few years ago with the KYANG out of Louisville, great bunch of guys! The airport is one of the few a person can still smoke in & i'll never foreget the big Col. Sanders statue.

11. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Col. Harland Sanders...great man. Shot and killed a guy who was painting over his KFC sign many, many years ago. Not someone to mess with. And, if you do move to KY, you'll have to read up on Henry Clay. Was an old Statesman for KY. Killed 3 guys in their twenties when they tried to rob and beat him. One guy, he threw down a well, and they never recovered the body. Clay was 92 years old!! And, the laws in KY state that if a guy is breaking in your house through a window, and his head is in the window, you have the law on your side to punch his ticket on the spot!!
    Ahhh, there's no place like home..........

12. jerry

USA
    a bit different than Dayton eh? I visited out there (several times) when my old AF buddy was at WP. Great air museum though!

13. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Yeah. Dayton pretty much ****s. Can't have any mag over 15 rounds in the city, that type of stuff. That's why I'd move back to KY if I could. KY is a commonwealth, and, as such, can't pass firearm laws more restrictive than the Federal Gov't. God, am I getting homesick........

14. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

just a note states and or commonwealths and republics can only pass laws that are more restictive than the Fed. They can't be less restrictive only more so.

15. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Rooster,
    Are you sure about that? My cousin is the County Attorney for Madison County, KY, and he said the law, in KY, states that KY cannot pass laws more restrictive than the Federal Gov't. My uncle is a County Judge, and he says the same thing. That's why there's no city or county that has restrictions on firearms more restrictive than the Feds.........

16. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

Yes, they cannot be less restrictive. There is no need though for the states to make make more restrictive laws, although they could. I know this will make a stir with with groups that don't belive in the Fed as the higher authority. The Fed Govt sets the standard (ie the Supreme Court). You can appeal a city court conviction/decision all the way to the Supreme Court, but you don't appeal decisions in the reverse, down to the county for example.

Do you remember the town out there in Illinois, I think that had every household own a firearm. Same type of principle, in reverse. Would that cut crime in the US if the Fed govt had everyone own at least one gun!

I don't want to disrepect your relatives, but I belive that is a basic premise that states can make things (laws) more restirctive but cannot make them less. Anyway have a good one and hope you get back out east.

17. As I understand it the law is that the Federal law is the basis. States can go beyond the law in question, but the state cannot pass laws less restrictive than the federal law.

18. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Okay, just for clarification. Kentucky statutes are written in that no laws pertainig to firearms shall be MORE restrictive than the Federal Government. I never said that they will make them LESS restrictive. States can go beyond Federal law, I understand. I think there's been a misunderstanding in all of this.

19. jerry

USA
    thought i'd dig this up. oldy but a goody. job opp. in KY. think I may go for this one. thanks again for all the good threads. Chris & Jesse thanks for incorporating the search feature that allowed me to find this.