Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with using handloads in Glock pistols? I've read in different reload manuals that .40 S&W reloads should not be used in Glocks. Why is this? What is the difference between factory loads and handloads, if using the same type of bullet (jacketed)? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
One hot round gets in and the rest is history.

Poorly supported chamber+used brass+a little too hot load= KABOOM instead of bang.:insane: Glocks are reliable, but at a price. I'm not sure if newer Glocks have better chambers. My 1911 is fully supported AND has yet to fail, even when full of sand. Please don't think I'm just trashing Glocks, I just fail too see what makes them so great.:rolleyes:
Just my opinion but, get a 1911 in .45 acp. I would even carry a .380 for defense before I would consider a .40. Seen .40's (friend's Beretta)bounce off a hog's head, .45 fmj(Mine) dropped it like a sack of bricks.

BTW: don't shoot any one else's reloads, no matter what the firearm. If you shoot reloads, shoot your own.:right:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I couldn't tell you how many handloads I have put through my 17. At least 15,000. The gun was bought new in '93 and hasn't missed a beat since. I use only jacketed bullets in all my guns. The Glock has all the personality of a Bic lighter but it chambers, fires, and ejects about everything it has been fed (lead bullets the exception as they REALLY leaded the barrel)
Josh

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome to G&G, Deacon!
I would be hesitant to shoot handloads through a Glock, unless I knew that they were of the highest quality (i.e. from Shaun ;)).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome to G&G, J.B.!
I have been told that shooting lead (unjacketed) bullets through a Glock is hazardous. Apparently doing so could cause a catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
gunssb said:
Shaun, when you say quality brass, do you mean never use once fired brass in your Glocks ?
No You can reuse Brass but use Starline or a comp grade -- I can get starline to last through 50 reloads in the sig 45 and the 1911 -- in glocks our rotation based on the customers use has been an average of 10 times - Rem and win crack after 3 reloads

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
ive put plenty of reloads through glocks, there is no problem with it. now if you happen to have one with a loose chamber that likes to bulge brass, then keep a close eye on it or replace the barrel. also there is no problem with the 40 or reloading it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank-you all for your information. I will be reloading my own (9mm, .40s&w, & .45acp) cartridges. I will be careful and start with the lower power loads and work my way up. I will also look into purchasing Starline Brass. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My Glock 17 in 9x19 successfully has handled all the handloads I've tried. Of course I watch case length and condition closely and don't try to emulate .357 sig loads, either. Amazingly I have found a really good copper plated bullet (#768-483 9 mm 124 gr RN from Berry's Mfg in St. George UT) that shoots well with no particular fouling even from the factory barrel. I don't load these too hot -- my favorite is 4.1 gr Unique for estimated velocity of 945 fps.

·
FREE CITIZEN
2,089 Posts
No lead unless you replace the bbl !!!!!!!!!

:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

I don't shoot reloads with my Glock, since I don't do reloading.

The only problems I see with reloading is making a too hot rnd that can trash any gun even a 1911.

If you use reloads, make sure the load is not too hot and the person reloading knows what he is doing.

Lead bullets can be shot with a glock, the only thing is that you have to replace the bbl with an aftermarket one designed to shoot lead.

The poligonal rifling in the glocks will collect lead fouling very easy and the fouling will jam the bullets in the bbl resulting in catastrophic failure of the gun, injury to the operator and posibly death, poligonal rifling isn't designed for lead bullets, you may get away with a few shots, but why risk damaging a perfectly good weapon and injury, if you must shoot lead, replace the bbl, Federal bbls can shoot lead and are cheap compared to the big boys out there.

:full: :full: :full: :full: :full:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts