close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

question on 243win

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by cooker300, Nov 13, 2017.

1. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist

NW PA
    Ok I have a serious question. so please don't bash me for this.

I'm asking on behave of a friend.

With all things considered being perfect or as close to perfect as possible.

With the right bullet I.E.(nosler partion,swift a frame or barns.) all 100gr or more could a 243 be used for eastern black bear hunting? keeping to neck , or boiler room shots . and less then 150yds.

yes I know there are at least 200 better calibers on the market.

2. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

It'll work with proper shot placement. Mention Hornady sst's to your friend.

Held Fast, shanebrews and mauser9 like this.

3. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 G&G Evangelist

I'd check out Barnes. I was happy with them in my 308. Not as accurate as some other bullets (in my gun), but definitely Minute Of Lung Shot.

Held Fast likes this.
  4. Not my first choice, but it would work if everything was perfect

5. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Trying to understand bear a bit more. Never hunted them. That said, the article has an honorable mention for Remington Core Lockts which have served well in the past. Used them on deer before I moved to a slug state and designer projectiles became popular. As requested, I’m not focusing on the caliber recommendation, just an interesting read.

Black Bear Cartridges

By Chuck Hawks

[​IMG].308 Win. Illustration courtesy of Hornady Mfg. Co.
    To start with, just how big is a North American black bear? One thing that seems evident is that they vary greatly in size. In the central provinces/states of Canada and the U.S., as well as most of the Eastern United States, they are reported to average 150-200 pounds. This is much smaller than the large black bears of coastal Alaska, British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest, which probably average 300 pounds and may go 500 pounds. Of course, individual animals vary in weight no matter where they live. Giant black bears weighing 600 pounds and more have been taken in diverse locations.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/black_bear_cartridges.htm

BaserRonin likes this.
  6. Doubletap has a 105 gr. JHP that runs just under 3000 fps & with a little more imparted energy might work a little bit better than the 100 gr., but yeah I don't see why the .243 Win. won't kill a Black Bear !....................

7. longshooter234

longshooter234 G&G Evangelist

Alabama
    I feel like if people are killing hogs with .223 then you should have no problem killing a black bear with a round that is near double a .223 in basically every aspect. Of course this assumes you pick the right bullet.

8. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

I was going to make a point similar to what Jerry shared about: most Eastern black bears are going to dress under 200 lbs. That is well within the capabilities of a .243. However, the bear's skull is thicker than that of most other Eastern game. That is something to consider when taking a head shot.

Anecdotally, .243 was my grandfather's work horse and he lived in ND. Also, anecdotal: I bought a .45-70 lever gun for bear hunting a few years back, though I haven't had a chance to go yet.

jerry and BaserRonin like this.
  9. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist

NW PA
    Thanks guys I will pass this along.
    Personally if my main game to be hunted is black bear I carry my 270,308,300wm, or the 45/70, and either the 44mag or 45colt on my hip.

I told him it should work but I would ask. My main thinking was if a sharp point stick can do it then a 243 should be ok. I'm 99.9% sure he will be hunting them out of his tree stand

jerry and longshooter234 like this.
  10. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

Like all things hunting, shot placement is job one.
    The right shot with a .243 on a bear, will get the job done.

As a personal choice, I `d like a bigger cal. Something allow the line of a Marlin
    336, in 35cal.

Owning a 243 cal for years I know what it can do ,but on this one, I`d follow
    my own advise.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  11. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

use the partition.
    bears are really no better constructed or tougher than a deer.
    they can have an attitude and you can have an altercation if a bad shot is made.
    in that situation a rifle is not what I would want in my hand when I go crawling in the briars anyway.

austinjoe13 likes this.